Chrysler 300 and Imperial, Bentley Arnage and Rolls-Royce Phantom

Carl B

Friends call me xbd
Legend
I'm surprised I'm even making this thread, but I have to discuss this. Have people seen the auto show pictures of the Chrysler Imperial concept car? I mean, I don't even know what to think; brazen I guess is the word that comes to mind... but do I fault Chrysler for that or not?

Let's backtrack a year or two to the debut of the new Chrysler 300. One of the first things that came to mind, after 'I like this car's styling,' was - this reminds me of a Bentley in appearance. Now, I'll reiterate that I liked the styling, and I felt comfortable enough giving Chrysler a pass on the 'theft' because frankly I felt they were simply harkening back to their roots so to speak.

But now, with the Imperial concept, I don't know what to think. It'd be one thing if it still looked like the 300, but it honestly seems to go out of it's way to mimic the Phantom.

I didn't start this thread for affirmation of my suspicions... rather, what do you think are the effects of these cars on the auto industry should the Imperial end up produced? Will the appeal of the present Arnage and Phantom be diminished, the traditional buyers knowing there are these 'mockeries' running about? Does the Imperial result in a backlash effecting the 300 as well if both vehicles become associated as 'poseur' vehicles?

I mean I almost have to wonder if Chryslers parent, Daimler/Mercedes, maybe even encouraged these design qeues to ruffle the feathers of Bentley/VW and Rolls/BMW; Mercedes' own Maybach essentially being the only competetitor to those two in the super high-end sedan segment. Granted that conspiracy theory may be going out there a little...

Any thoughts though on how these vehicles will sit in the eyes of Bentley/Rolls corporate, and with the respective owners of those vehicles? It may not hurt them, but it certainly can't help.

And beyond that, what're your thoughts on the vehicles themselves (300 and Imperial), taken outside of the context of comparison to the other companies I mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:
It would appear that Chrysler is trying to get back some of it's luxury image...They are making some great cars in this regard.....

I don't like it one bit as it takes away the exclusivity of a high-end car's styling. However, if it makes DC money then of course it should be produced and sold. I'm an economist and a pretty staunch libertarian so how could I say otherwise?

Personally when the 300 came out my first thought was "Uuuuuuugly!" followed quickly by, "How are you supposed to see out of them little slit window thingies?".

Sorry, but it's how I feel.

Well I did a few rounds in the 300, the SRT version. Mucho fun and very comfortable. And lots of power too. I'd prefer the van, though.

_xxx_ said:
Well I did a few rounds in the 300, the SRT version. Mucho fun and very comfortable. And lots of power too. I'd prefer the van, though.
Unfortunately, the build quality is the pits. Way too much plastic. (Of course, its a cheap power car, so what do you expect?)

Well, noone expects it to be a Mercedes for that money I guess. How is it compared to other similary priced / comparable US brands?

Back