Nvidia "Tritium" GPU?

Strangely enough the top overclockers are finding that to overclock the 7900GTX to the maximum amount you have to really ramp up the PCI-e speed ;)

Coincidence ?

dizietsma said:
Strangely enough the top overclockers are finding that to overclock the 7900GTX to the maximum amount you have to really ramp up the PCI-e speed ;)

Coincidence ?

Hmm. Maybe that's why they are marked "Tritium gpu" on the slide. . . new sku coming, maybe, with a much higher pcie bus speed? I wonder why that would be true tho?

dizietsma said:

Coincidence ?

Are you sure? Sounds more likely that they're alleviating a performance bottleneck.

I'm not sure why PCI bus speed would have that much of an impact on scores. No way a single 7900gtx is saturating a 16x PCI-E slot. Other than signals getting from A to B slightly quicker it shouldn't offer that much of a benefit.

It sounds more like what ATI did with the RD580. You can clock the HTT links significantly higher and oc the crap out of it if you've got ram/cpu to go with it.

It's probably just a marketing gimmick that most current parts are capable of but makes nice selling point for anyone not aware of it. Or they're integrating a compositing engine or direct x16 paths to eachother on the NB?

There's only to things that gain on a higher PCI-e frequency: SLI AA performance and Quad SLI rigs.

Quad SLI is, besides Dell and local SI's ads, non existing and SLI AA only exists in website-graphs and not used by end users.

maybe the feature is badly marketed?
in say, the quake3 engine, where a single card is already much more powerful than what you need, the possibility of 16x AA is nice. or, double the AA in whatever game where SLI doesn't work or hurts performance.
I often used FSAA on my Voodoo5.. and it was really SLI AA :)

I know that if I was insultingly rich I'd have a pair of GTX always in SLI AA mode.

PeterAce said:
Could you expand on that a little, sounds intersting.

Is this a tweak over 7800s (above the tweaked ROPS)?
G73 and G71 now pass SLI AA sample data over the inter-board SLI bridge link.

And this would be a goodness why? (I think I could guess, but would rather have it from the guru).

It's been in since the GPUs launched. The 'now' is a reference to pre-G71/G73 NV GPUs not doing it, don't read too much into it ;)

And it's a goodness, geo, for the obvious reasons, although I'm not sure why you ask! I remember talking to you about this capability on 7900 and 7600's launch. Forgotten since then? :p

As an answer to Digi, before the G71 and 73(?), the sample data navigated through the PCI-E bus, like the X8XX did for Crossfire AA. PCI-E wasn`t quite adept at both feeding the cards and navigating sample data, so ATI moved it to the compositing chip for the X1XX and NV moved it to the SLi-link.

INKster said:

i was looking for a spot to add this info, but since you mentioned it and nobody's picked up on it:

"Tritium" is the nV codename for a spec, for overclocking-friendly components (centered around, but not limited to, nForce mobos). So memory would have a tritium spec, and then tell an nF bios to automagically oerclock to that spec if the mobo supported the proper voltage and heat dissipation, etc.

"shecknoscopy", a dailytech poster, hasn't exactly summed up my thoughts (i'll reserve judgment till i see them in operation & their pricing), but he made me chuckle a bit: :LOL:

A Deconstructionist Approach
By shecknoscopy on 5/11/2006 9:59:59 AM , Rating: 3

NVIDIA: YO! Motherboard manufacturers! Make your boards awesomer!

MOBO MANUFACTURERS: Erm... okay. Well, we were already kinda' planning on...

NVID: AWESOMER! I SAID AWESOM ER!

MOBOS: I'm not sure that's a word, frankly.

NVID: And put our name on it.

MOBOS: Huh? Why should we put your name on this?

NVID: Look at this list we drew! Of all the components! The components to make the motherboard yet awesomer.

MOBOS: Seriously, stop using that word. Besides, most of our enthusiast level motherboards are already fairly awesome...

ASROCK: Not mine!

MOBOS: Yeah, not ASRock's. (they all laugh) But seriously, how much performance increase do you expect to get out of this purported list of yours? Given a modicum of skill and high performance components, can't an experienced overclocker already achieve the equivalent performance boost without having to rely on automatic, "black box" overclocking?

NVID: Don't forget to put our name on it.

MOBOS: Seriously, how much of a performance boost do you expect?

NVID: About US $50-100 per board sold.

MOBOS: AWESOME!

NVID: AWESOME ER !

(Furious, largely inept dancing)

Reactions: Geo
I have to respond to this:
MOBOS: Yeah, not ASRock's. (they all laugh) But seriously, how much performance increase do you expect to get out of this purported list of yours? Given a modicum of skill and high performance components, can't an experienced overclocker already achieve the equivalent performance boost without having to rely on automatic, "black box" overclocking?
Well, obviously an experienced overclocker can spend a fair amount of time and obtain as good or better performance boost. But "black box" overclocking may allow more users to do the same, or allow those who do have the experience to overclock with less of their own time used.

ASUS certainly has done well with a certain level of "black box" OCing (AI and NOS). . .and the ability to tweak beyond that. I certainly enjoyed that with my last two ASUS boards.

I'm still trying to figure out if NV is bringing any special sauce mojo of their own on the gpu side to the Tritium party. Haven't seen it yet, and nobody I know seems to think so. . . but I keep hoping anyway.

Back