Katamari Damacy Creator Critical of Revolution Controller

thenefariousone said:
It's funny with all the knowitall soothsayers who come crawling out of the woodwork in threads like this one, who have their opinion dead-set already without having played any games with the controller, or even touched it at all.

Ok, so this particular dev doesn't seem to care much for the revmote. So what. Free society, different tastes and personal opinions and all of that. Not everybody will like everything, if nobody disliked it THAT if anything would have been kind of weird... ;)

It seems to me he's not really critical of the controller itself, he's critical of the way Nintendo are marketing it i.e. as going to be an innovation in fun.

Guden Oden said:
It's funny with all the knowitall soothsayers who come crawling out of the woodwork in threads like this one, who have their opinion dead-set already without having played any games with the controller, or even touched it at all.
doesn't that actually goes both ways, whether you are skeptical or over confident?

we have only our imagination to work with at this time. Red Steel gave us examples and E3 will have hands-on impressions. why not wait till then?

of course, some will still be mind-fixed to an initial opinion that they will use any demonstrations to support their original thought. these will have to see and hear people playing and talking about any new method in real life and in boards to make them review their previous asumptions.

the rest of us will handle things as they come. ;)

Legend said:
doesn't that actually goes both ways, whether you are skeptical or over confident?

we have only our imagination to work with at this time. Red Steel gave us examples and E3 will have hands-on impressions. why not wait till then?
What is 'being over confident' though?

I'm not sure I know of anyone being over confident. Some people (including me) say the revmote seem to have very interesting possibilities as far as new gameplay is concerned. Swordfighting and shield blocking is just one aspect of that for example.

How well it pans out in reality depends on a host of different factors, such as the speed, accuracy and precision of the motion detection apparatus inside the revmote. All of that remains to be seen, all we have is 2nd-hand information at best, and Nintendo propaganda at worst! :LOL: If the input is laggy and "fuzzy" - for lack of a better word - then Rev will be just another virtual boy, albeit with a much better case design. ;)

I don't know if this is being over confident.

I think the key question with the revmote is: Is it precise (enough)?
If it's not precise then, yes it will be a gimmick.
If it is precise, then it will have the potential to be what the mouse was for the personal computer.

There is no need to evangelize. You're dealing with intelligent people here, capable of critical thinking on their own. Many of whom have no predisposed opinion for or against it.

In fact just about everyone here has said positive things about the Revolution controller, me included.

However, the idea of it being the Deus ex Machina of controllers, based solely on hype and the limited information currently available, is hard to believe. Especially when the controller it's trying to replace isn't exactly a square wheel.

History has shown us that the Software > hardware specs (controller included), so we're waiting to see what Nintendo has to offer in that aspect.

Guden Oden said:

Ok, so this particular dev doesn't seem to care much for the revmote. So what. Free society, different tastes and personal opinions and all of that. Not everybody will like everything, if nobody disliked it THAT if anything would have been kind of weird... ;)

thenefariousone said:
However, the idea of it being the Deus ex Machina of controllers, based solely on hype and the limited information currently available, is hard to believe. Especially when the controller it's trying to replace isn't exactly a square wheel.

Yes, specialy because even Nintendo "said" it will not be (putting a shell in the market too).

Anyway from IGN/1UP and a lot of dev it seems that it can indeed do what they say.

thenefariousone said:
However, the idea of it being the Deus ex Machina of controllers, based solely on hype and the limited information currently available
What's so limited about the info on Revmote? We know what it does, how it works, how many axis of control it provides, and can imagine uses. I can't see much info we're missing.
Especially when the controller it's trying to replace isn't exactly a square wheel.
Not square, but some people might think it's a Formula One Soft Slick whereas Revmote provides a General Purpose wheel with offroad and onroad capabilities. Or maybe even the existing method is a wheel versus Revmote's Caterpillar-tracks.

DS shows how a new controller creates new games and attracts new audiences. PSP shows how an old controller doesn't become obsolete and can still make for great games. There is no right nor wrong controller. There is no reason to just stick with one existing method without ever trying something different. There is no reason to think one new controller will usurp the old controllers that have provien their functionality time and time again. They're different tools for different jobs with different results and attracting different interests.

Squeak said:
I think the key question with the revmote is: Is it precise (enough)?
If it's not precise then, yes it will be a gimmick.
If it is precise, then it will have the potential to be what the mouse was for the personal computer.
According to Game Informer in their Red Steel article, it is. "With the sensitivity of the controller, a standard FPS controller would move too much, potentially making the player feel ill." The controller would pick up all of the tiny little movements your hand makes, and the screen would jitter constantly. This says to me that the controller is extremely sensitive.

speaking of uses of the revomote in present games, the new okami is a game that would've gained so much had it been implemented for the revmote. as it is now i'm sure many will find the controls of the brush awkward, or hampered, at least.

Yes, that's a good example. Another one, perhaps better suited to DS, is the one on PS2 where you draw your character and it's created as a 3D model. That sounds like it's got potential but on a standard controller, no good. Though EyeToy would work well for these games

NANOTEC said:
There should be a painting game for Revolution based on Rob Ross's tv show.

Only if you could work in one of the buttons for pressure sensitivity, for brush stroke differences. Maybe, the trigger button on the bottom.

NANOTEC said:
There should be a painting game for Revolution based on Rob Ross's tv show.

It was announced... check out his site, it has a press release about it. (It's Bob Ross also, iirc)

NucNavST3 said:
Only if you could work in one of the buttons for pressure sensitivity, for brush stroke differences. Maybe, the trigger button on the bottom.

It could simple change acording to the z value, althought I have my doubts if the image of a console can do any diference in those cases.

Nintendo's not saying that, that's the hype being generated by a lot of the nintendo zealots.

pc999 said:
Yes, specialy because even Nintendo "said" it will not be (putting a shell in the market too).

Anyway from IGN/1UP and a lot of dev it seems that it can indeed do what they say.

Fair enough.

Everyone's imaging what it can do, but what can't it do?
What are the limitations of the device?
How is battery life?
How comfortable is it to play games with for an extended period of time?
If Nintendo's so sold by the idea, then why have any shells at all?
How accurate is it?
Is it resource intensive?

It offers advantages when playing offense in certain sports games, but what about defense?
For example: How will a soccer game work on this, where outside of throw-ins, you don't use your feet?

How does it compare to the Gametrack controller?http://www.in2games.uk.com/testsite/index.php

Outside of having four controllers, how will you control both your arms, legs, and body position in a fighting game?

Your analogies isn't bad, but I think the Revolution is the equivalent of Formula One Slicks or Caterpillar Tracks, smooth in certain situations, but not for general purpose use and offroad use. Hence - Nintendo's decision to create shells, and enable the Gamecube controller to compensate for that.

Shifty Geezer said:
What's so limited about the info on Revmote? We know what it does, how it works, how many axis of control it provides, and can imagine uses. I can't see much info we're missing.
Not square, but some people might think it's a Formula One Soft Slick whereas Revmote provides a General Purpose wheel with offroad and onroad capabilities. Or maybe even the existing method is a wheel versus Revmote's Caterpillar-tracks.

DS shows how a new controller creates new games and attracts new audiences. PSP shows how an old controller doesn't become obsolete and can still make for great games. There is no right nor wrong controller. There is no reason to just stick with one existing method without ever trying something different. There is no reason to think one new controller will usurp the old controllers that have provien their functionality time and time again. They're different tools for different jobs with different results and attracting different interests.

thenefariousone said:
1-Everyone's imaging what it can do, but what can't it do?
2-What are the limitations of the device?
3-How is battery life?
4-How comfortable is it to play games with for an extended period of time?
5-If Nintendo's so sold by the idea, then why have any shells at all?
6-How accurate is it?
7-Is it resource intensive?

1- I really cant think in something that it cant do, the question is if it will give a better experience or no, in some games I have big doubts (eg SSB).
2- What do you mean by limitation in this case.
3- Indeed a very good question (given the extra fuctionality).
4- We have heard mixed reports, but they still make it seems that it is more a question of habit, I guess that it will also be dependent of the person.
5- At the time they presented it for companys that want a more traditional games or multiplatform, but I think that it also can mean that it is not good (or atleast enought) for some games.
6- Each report I read said it accourate as a mouse.
7- Anouther good question, plus how much more it will need for the new features, ie better AI should be needed, much better animation and physics.

Anyway meybe in many cases one should not think in it as better or worst, just diferent (of curse it will be better or worst from a subjective POV)

Ok my 2 cents on the revmote. First people should stop thinking of it as a superior device for interaction with a console than current controllers...its simply different. Like someone mentioned it will be perfect for some experiences and hence superior to traditional controllers, and in other situations it will be worse than traditional controllers. Nintendo is banking on it being different, and like anything that trys to be real different it will succeed and fail on varying levels. Hopefully all of Nintendo's titles will succeed in being different, if any new title, whether from a new or older franchise requires the gaming shell, and can't be played with the fhc/nunchuck combo perfectly, then they have failed IMO.

thenefariousone said:
Your analogies isn't bad, but I think the Revolution is the equivalent of Formula One Slicks or Caterpillar Tracks, smooth in certain situations, but not for general purpose use and offroad use. Hence - Nintendo's decision to create shells, and enable the Gamecube controller to compensate for that.
Which is where it's a win-win situation, no? It provides the new control scheme for games that can take advantage of that, of still has analogue stick and D pad and buttons for more conventional controls.

As for the soccer example, at the end of the day I'm inclined to think as far as Nintendo are concerned, if you're wanting to play the best soccer experience you'd be better off with one of the other consoles with more oomph for things like Natural Motion player physics and such. Revolution should be about serving up new gaming experiences, and not just trying to squeeze old experiences onto a different controller. If the game doesn't naturally fit, don't develop it. That's where you'll get some developers looking at it and seeing games they could create that do new things with it, and others that look at the games they want to make and see the Revmote doesn't contribute anything.

Back