[PowerVR] DELL: no more PDAs?

Original Source:

http://www.aximsite.com/

Updated post:

OK, this is not a rebuttle of my post from yesterday exactly, but I have talked with some folks today and the word on the future of the Axim line is this:

Dell will continue to sell and support the Dell Axim X51v. The lack of new development of the Axim line is because there is no reason to introduce new models since the X51v is already well ahead of the competition. I guess they are right, there is not much out there that can be improved on other than OS issues. The Dell Axim X51v hardware is pretty amazing and I see their point.
K-

Sorry to hear this, but the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS and Intel D3D 2700G driver situation on the x50v/x51v is not good. I recently upgraded my HP HX4700 (another flagship, EOL'd device) to WM5, and found to my surprise that some Direct3D programs run faster on the HX4700 (which doesn't have hardware 3D acceleration) than on the Axim. They made a hash of the WM5 implementation, especially with the battery drain problem. It probably shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the Axim is effectively EOL'd, given similar actions by other major vendors.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to the Aximsite forums there are fixes for all of the initial problems with WM5 on Axim x50v/51v

Teasy said:
If you go to the Aximsite forums there are fixes for all of the initial problems with WM5 on Axim x50v/51v

Sadly, there aren't fixes for all of the problems with WM5 on the x50v/x51v - the 3D driver issue certainly isn't yet fixed, amongst others. What you will find on the Axim site are kluges for the battery drain problem and disapearing SD card.

Oh right, hopefully someone will fix that. I believe someone came up with a 3D Accelarated GAPI driver for WM2003 so hopefully they'll do something for WM5 soon.

Back