OMG: I'm turning into a fanboi--RANT

[Exeunt ROSENCRANTZ and GUILDENSTERN]
Now I am alone.
I accurately predicted the demise of 3dfx right around the release of the v5. I also bought one. What can I say, it was a damn good card (but the company was clearly dead in July). I initially bought a cheapo GF2 at E3 that year but ended up sending it back and buying a v5 which I kept in my box until just recently when i replaced it with a 9700 (after bestbuying and returning an 8500 and a 4600). The point is you don't have to feel the same way about a company as you do about its products. I've always thought, and still think, Nvidia is a great company but the bizarre commentary I'm reading about the GF-FX is starting to make me see red. I know it isn't Nvidia's fault that morons say stupid things w/r/t their products but sheesh. This comment in a "review" of the GF-FX on Gamespy just boggled my mind: "In most cases, the GeForce FX is the fastest card on the market, but not by much. The performance differences will be more pronounced as its drivers mature and more applications take advantage of its technology. (my underlining) That said, it will be months, perhaps more than a year, before games that push the 5800 Ultra are the norm." This, coupled with a testing methodology that goes like: test gfxu at 2aa 8af test radeon at 2aa 8af without any regard to what the sliders in the driver control panel actually mean and their respecting impacts on IQ, is mindboggling. Sure it could be the tequilla that's got me up in arms but I must say: I loathe "soundbite friendly" morons who can't actually provide some f**king insight into the products the are allegedly reviewing the same way that I loathe large poisonous snakes. In any case, I'll have grounds more relative than this: the play's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.

What does the GFFX have that a Radeon 9700 Pro doesn't? I would say 32-bit FP but they seen to be optimizing around this and actually forcing 16-bit FP. ATI is beating them in visual quality and seems to have really ramped up on driver quality, developer support and PR. We'll see over the next few months.

If the gfx has nothing more than the 9700, and the 9700 is so good, then the gfx is too.

Don't worry at least 70% of the people here are fanboys so it is not like your alone.

Avoid being a fan_boy as much as possible.

And don't say anything right at a product release, cause if you've no access to the hardware you can't know what's going on.
If that leads you to stay silent (like me), just be, it's better not to say anything rather than saying something stupid and/or lame.

*- Edit : censored words :p -*

Sxotty said:
If the gfx has nothing more than the 9700, and the 9700 is so good, then the gfx is too.

Except the FX that you will actually be able to buy is not as fast as the 9700, with shader performance in particular seeming to lag, and it takes an extra slot, and its FSAA is ugly.

(Keeping with the fanboi theme of this thread)

Well the Hamlet references were intended as a ;) vis-a-vis the fanboi line. (As well as being a rogue and peasant slave) I'm just a tech junkie who wants to see innovation. On the other hand I am a fanboi w/r/t DWDM where Lucent clearly kicks Nortel's ass ;)

What planet are you on boy? Lucent sux0rz .. Nortel r00lz..l33t (I know that is all so yesterday..)

Back