New Kaspersky Virus Scanner.

I've been a Kaspersky user for quite a while now, and although version 5 was excellent in terms of detection rates, it did have many annoying niggles. Version 6, claimed to be a "next generation virus scanner" though not quite ready for retail sale, is finished and publicly available for use, either with your old Kaspersky keyfile, or with a temporary test/trial licence. Get the install from here (look for the 6.0.0.299 directory) and activation codes are here (look for ActCodes.txt).

It does clever things like stops scanning if the CPU is being used for other things, can be set to only scan files that have changed (it checksums all files on it's first scan), can do automatically variable updates if there's a lot of virus activity about, safeguards itself, informs of programs changing key registry data, scans data coming in on configurable network ports, creates rescue disks, can resume an interrupted system scan without restarting, etc.

I've been impressed so far with the new UI and in general use. It is a much more rounded product, with lots of features and configurablity, and is a lot more responsive in use.

Edit: Changed links to activation codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
v6 is improved indeed. I like it alot. The phrase 'The best just got better' comes to mind.

Nod32 is great too, very lightweight, but I find kaspersky is better at detecting things. (Back when virii/worms were a very common issue among the populace).

JustPassingBy said:
Nod32 ftw!
Please don't derail this thread with pointless posts. This is a Kaspersky v6 thread, not Nod32 or virus scanners in general. Feel free to start a general virus scanner thread if you like.

Thanks! I was a devoted KAV advocate before the last version really blew it for me and I switched to NOD. Although I love the small footprint, I don't love everything about NOD, so I'm looking forward to this trial -- if it does the CPU usage thing properly, it will be the greatest thing to happen to virus scanners in a long time.

Edit: Only... am I missing something or has that ActCodes.txt file been moved?

poopypoo said:
Thanks! I was a devoted KAV advocate before the last version really blew it for me and I switched to NOD. Although I love the small footprint, I don't love everything about NOD, so I'm looking forward to this trial -- if it does the CPU usage thing properly, it will be the greatest thing to happen to virus scanners in a long time.

This version of KAV seems to have a much smaller memory footprint, and friendlier CPU usage.

Back