Performance enhancing software

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
Hello-

As of late i have wondered which software is top notch for performance enhancing, ie registry cleaners, spyware and etc. Any all in one programs? What do you guys suggest?

Thank you-

Norton

I used to use Hare and AntiCrash from www.dachshundsoftware.com. Hare comes with tools to optimize your windows, clean registry, etc. This program is fairly old though, not sure how well it runs on Win XP SP2.

As for spyware scanner, I used to use ad-aware, but now since ZoneAlarm Pro comes with an anti-spyware feature, I almost never use ad-aware anymore.

I use Sys Mech 5 not 6, I use CCleaner, NTRegOpt, RegSeeker, PerfectDisk, Adaware, Spybot and NOD32. I think I can get rid of Adaware and Spybot since I dont get spyware but it is a force of habit I guess and the natural distrust of XP.

DiGuru said:
I think my best pick would be Firefox.
firefox is like THE worst browser in terms of system preformance. open few tabs download a a file and pooof! 100Mb+ of system`s ram are taken.
i like FF in terms of stablity security and functionality. but after about 30-45min of using it, it takes allmost half of the available system memory of an avrage "office desk" PC.

DOGMA1138 said:
firefox is like THE worst browser in terms of system preformance. open few tabs download a a file and pooof! 100Mb+ of system`s ram are taken.
i like FF in terms of stablity security and functionality. but after about 30-45min of using it, it takes allmost half of the available system memory of an avrage "office desk" PC.
But, compared to IE, you get no spyware and need no spyware cleaners, all of which use up quite a bit of performance.

DiGuru said:
But, compared to IE, you get no spyware and need no spyware cleaners, all of which use up quite a bit of performance.
true, but unless you go into some realy dirty/shady sited you're every day popup block will do the job. and since every one is running an AV these days those take care of most of the more common spyware programs any way. and FF wont protect you from spyware completly any way. it wont help against spyware that comes from files. yes it will help pervent sites from secretly installing spyware into you're PC but then again if you usualy surf those kinds of sites some form of dedicated spyware protection is a must any ways.

I don't mind firefox using 100MB ram (as it is right now, with 14 tabs opened over two windows). and I'm temporarily on 256MB ram, do not feel like I lack ram with browsing + IM + viewing videos, stuff. (256MB sucks for games though)

the browser is a major piece of software, where I get overloaded by information, it stores the rendering of quite a number of bloated pages with lots of pictures, caching etc. I don't mind it taking 40% of my small RAM (will be 10% when I get back to a huge quantity of RAM, will have 1GB sdram when I get some mobo from ebay)

to compare things, my Windows also takes about 100MB ram on boot (with a few tools in the background)

also, I don't have any need for spyware protection on my PC since I started using FF when it was called Phoenix 0.5

Back