friemel + stuff

zed

Legend
gidday i thought a few here might be interested in a little demo ive hacked together
features include
- friemel
- cascading shadowmaps with opacity maps eg leaves cast lighter shadows than rocks.
- very high polygon counts + number of animation bones
- soft shadows
- slow framerates

download from http://www.filefactory.com/?14d5c4 10mb
mouse controls movement + 1-6 to turn various things off

only works on nvidia cards which support opengl2.0 (needs quite a bit of memory runs on my 128mb card though), may take about a minute to startup first time.

ild be interested in hearing of suggestions for improvements or what ppl think is its worst feature at the moment, i can also upload a linux version if theres interest

ta zed

zed said:
only works on nvidia cards which support opengl2.0 (needs quite a bit of memory runs on my 128mb card though), may take about a minute to startup first time
Couldn't you get your code to be platform agnostic? :cry:

zed said:
ild be interested in hearing of suggestions for improvements or what ppl think is its worst feature at the moment

Well it would be an improvement if you didn't use point sampling.
It looks like you used GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR for GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER and GL_LINEAR for GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER.

For some reason I can see lighter stripes in the shadow of rocks - looks like the shadow of the grass - but it shouldn't be there.

Maybe it's just me, but the soft shadow looks worse than having hard shadows - at least at the distance

Also there is something strange on the shadowed side of the rocks - I can't really describe it.

I'm getting 10-11 fps on a GeForce 6600 GT (startup screen)

QUOTE]Couldn't you get your code to be platform agnostic?[[/QUOTE]
i dont have a ati to test on so i was playing safe (previous stuff ive written have rebooted machines with ati cards)
also i do quite a bit of developement on linux (ati's not to big there), but i could port it (shouldnt be much to change) if someones willing to be a guineapig.

For some reason I can see lighter stripes in the shadow of rocks - looks like the shadow of the grass - but it shouldn't be there.
i can fix this but at cost of performance (+ it already runs like a dog), though perhaps ill revert to the standard method of no opacitymaps. but in doing so i lose the ability to fade in shadowmaps, eg when rocks fade in u will see the shadow also fade in. to do the standard method of having a point either shadowed or not shadowed looked a lot worse cause shadows would suddenly pop in.

Maybe it's just me, but the soft shadow looks worse than having hard shadows - at least at the distance
u can change this by altering the blur shader

Also there is something strange on the shadowed side of the rocks - I can't really describe it.
i think i know what u mean (press space to stop the sun moving) i can fix this by doing a standard shading method but IMO this looks worse (and in fact everyone (at least 5 ppl) ive spoken to saiz it looks worse, but then again the standard method is quicker), u can alter the rock_shader.glsl though to improve it if u wish. if u do find something interesting ild like to see it.
thanks for the input Hyp-X, zed

ta ondaedg,
yes d3d10 wont solve anything youll still have to write various paths for different hardware (unless u target the lowest common denominator) i suppose u could have something where u write the ideal path, and then the software spits out various paths for lower hardware. though i cant see it working ideally.

btw ive fixed this(at a ~10% reduction in speed so not as bad as i thought ) also i see what u mean about the rocks, ive fixed that as well.
im trying to decide what to add next.

A/ a larger unique textured terrain like i believe 'megatexture' will be
B/ environment effctes (clouds, night/day) etc
C/ greater variety of vegeatation + much more dense
D/ greater variety of terrain sand water snow etc
but im open for suggestions.

Back