Open letter to D-Link

I've upgraded the firmware of my DI604 three times now and it still keeps dropping the IP for no discernible reason and giving me an internal 192.168.0.x IP as the outbound IP. Naturally this causes me to lose my net connection, and this has frequently happened during gaming or simply casual websurfing.

Sometimes, pulling the plug out of the router fixes it. Sometimes it does not, and I have to turn everything off, including the PC.

Guess this is just another reason to say "screw you" to Dlink.

I don't know why but I've stayed away from DLink's products for quite a while. I'll rather shell out a few more bucks and buy more quality instead of gettting bothered.

I use to use D-Link all the time. In fact, my old work, my brother, and my parents all have D-Link routers because of me. I stopped using them cos they bugger up VPN networks pretty well.

Using a Linksys now, and it also buggers up VPNs, even though its got a hardware endpoint. Maybe Im doing something wrong?

Never had any problems using Thompson Speedtouch routers, pity they cost 10 times as much as the linksys.

I just feel sorry for the guy who is getting screwed by D-Link.

Ali

What's so funny is (well, not, I guess) is that while this poor guy in denmark keeps getting spammed by DI604 users like me, the DI604 doesn't ACTUALLY set the time/date automatically... It resets every time I have to pull out the damn power cord!

I don't know wether I should laugh or cry.

This is just horrible. I mean, this sort of thing should have been fixed since the whole University of Wisconsin debacle (linked to on the bottom of the open letter), and back then NetGear actually seemed to show interest in resolving the problem (though it took them some time).

It's a good thing I swore off D-Link a long time ago (bought a TV card, of call things, from them that was absolutely horrible).

Back