Inq Claims no HDMI in R520/R580

I guess it's rather that no vendor uses that HDCP-chip to reduce costs, not that 580 as such wouldn't support it.

That's dog-bites-man tho; the point of this article is the allegation of lack of native support.

Actually, roadmaps shows that the high end stuff does have HDMI capabilities. But the point of the matter is the entire thing is BS. The ASIC itself doesn't need HDMI capabilities, the board does, and its probably more reflective of the fact that ATI won't changes the reference boards at the high end to facilitate the chip needed and seeing as the high end boards are single source then there won't be any for the time being anyway.

How can the RV515/RV530 support be "native" if you need an external chip? It sounds like BS.

Edit - beaten to it by The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me, or are people routinely getting confused by HDCP vs HDMI? Obviously the two are related, by they are not entirely synonymous.

Does having HDMI as a feature entail HDCP support? I mean... will there be devices that use the interface solely for non-protected content?

MuFu said:
Does having HDMI as a feature entail HDCP support? I mean... will there be devices that use the interface solely for non-protected content?

Unlikely due to the way licenses are granted... AFAIK anyway.

Heh, i think we'd all do well to try to resist discussing the stuff he posts. It's such spectacular garbage on so many levels and I'd rather it got no attention whatsoever.

Back