Sony France: PS3 intial price range forecast "499-599 Euro"

Yeah, Blu-ray is not due in Europe till Autumn IIRC, and AFAIK no pricing has been announced by anyone for hardware or movie titles.

Apparently some journos followed up on this with SCEE, and a german rep gave this response:

"During a wide ranging interview/discussion on Europe 1 radio last night,
Georges Fornay, Managing Director of SCE France discussed the PlayStation
3, amongst other new consumer technology products.
Reports on the web suggest that he might have indicated a price for PS3
around 500 Euros or between 499 and 599. This is a mistranslation and/or
misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the
relative value of PS3 as a Bluray Disc player.

Referring to a previous discussion about the roughly $1,000 price point of
BD players, the interviewer asked whether a price point of around $500
(dollars, not Euros) was about right for the PS3. Mr Fornay explained that,
with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such
functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly
below this price.

At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point for PS3, and
any reports that he did so are incorrect.

He summarised by saying that PS3 would be expensive when one looked at the
price of a video games machine, at far below 500 Euros, but extremely good
value when looking at BD and HD technology inside.

No official announcement has yet been made on the price of the PS3."

In other words, he didn't say nearly as much as was originally reported. I knew he wouldn't just come out with a figure like that himself..

Last edited by a moderator:
Though if PS3 is more expensive than typical consoles and cheap as a BRD player, that'd place it in the Eu 500-1000, which is about what the translation was saying. No pricing was given, but a higher price, minimum of 500 Eu, was inferred.

Titanio said:
Apparently some journos followed up on this with SCEE, and a german rep gave this response:

"During a wide ranging interview/discussion on Europe 1 radio last night,
Georges Fornay, Managing Director of SCE France discussed the PlayStation
3, amongst other new consumer technology products.
Reports on the web suggest that he might have indicated a price for PS3
around 500 Euros or between 499 and 599. This is a mistranslation and/or
misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the
relative value of PS3 as a Bluray Disc player.

Referring to a previous discussion about the roughly $1,000 price point of
BD players, the interviewer asked whether a price point of around $500
(dollars, not Euros) was about right for the PS3. Mr Fornay explained that,
with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such
functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly
below this price.

At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point for PS3, and
any reports that he did so are incorrect.

He summarised by saying that PS3 would be expensive when one looked at the
price of a video games machine, at far below 500 Euros, but extremely good
value when looking at BD and HD technology inside.

No official announcement has yet been made on the price of the PS3."

I knew he wouldn't just come out with a figure like that himself..

Could you give a link to the source? Needed for posting the correction on other forums. Thanks. ;)

.Melchiah. said:
Could you give a link to the source? Needed for posting the correction on other forums. Thanks. ;)

GAF will have to do for now:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3070221&postcount=244

It seems legit. Basically a mail from SCED asking people not to circulate these rumours, and to verify information with SCED before publishing, and encloses SCEE's statement on the matter.

Shifty Geezer said:
Though if PS3 is more expensive than typical consoles and cheap as a BRD player, that'd place it in the Eu 500-1000, which is about what the translation was saying. No pricing was given, but a higher price, minimum of 500 Eu, was inferred.

I guess it depends if they're referring to their own record, or their competitors. Basically all this tells us is that it'll be something more than the price of a typical videogames console (which is..? 360 Premium? Or PS2 at launch? Or..?) and less than a BD player.

I still do think $500+ is most likely, but this information doesn't really bring us any enlightenment..

Shifty Geezer said:

This is what Sony does every time they launch a game system. Convince everyone it's gonna be ridiculously expensive, then when it launches for the normal price everyone goes "WOW what a deal!"

Not that it won't be a great deal, but these comments with regards to price should be taken with less than a grain of salt.

I can accept a price of 450 euros(for the premium with a hard drive of course) but anything above that is a steal.Sony has a lot to gain from the blue ray format so they shouldn't present that as an excuse if the ps3 ends up being too expensive(which it won't but still....).

599 euros for a gaming console is unacceptable and it's not even a money thing for me.

Jeux-France has updated its article with SCEE's clarification:

http://www.jeux-france.com/news15148_la-playstation-3-autour-de-500-euros.html

A babelfish of their statement

George Fornay makes a point of specifying that it never announced price of launching for PlayStation 3 which in addition was not fixed to date. A question of the journalist of Europe 1 mentioned the price of 500 $ for the PS3. George Fornay answered by making a parallel with the price of the game consoles which it located well below 500 Euros and the price of the readers Blu Ray for which the journalist had mentioned the price of 1000 Euros and more. George Fornay specified that it would be in this fork, i.e. between a price well below 500 Euros and 1000 Euros and more. It acted of a personal analysis within the framework of a total reasoning and not of an unspecified advertisement of price.

Very enlightening :p But in the context of the transcript below, they do clarify that it'll come between the typical videogames cost and the cost of BD player...which doesn't really tell us much new.

Here's the babelfish of their transcript of the question..in question:

Journalist: A question that the players are precisely posed, it is the price of this console, one sees figures which circulate regularly on the Web... 500$ according to the rumour: one is close to reality or one moves away from there?

George Fornay: Eh well listen, if one takes the aspect Blu Ray/HD, one spoke about reader Blu Ray has 1000 euros and more. Thus it will be extremely cheap when taking into consideration this aspect. When the aspect play is looked at, today it is true that the game consoles rather had a price well below 500 euros. I would say, that we will be in this fork: it will be expensive for the video games part, it will be extremely cheap when one looks at the whole of technologies which it integrates.

Titanio said:
they do clarify that it'll come between the typical videogames cost and the cost of BD player...

that way you'll be even more impressed when they announce the $399 pricepoint (without HDD of course ;) )

Nicked said:
Is tax included in EU?

Anyone, no way is Sony (or Ninty) going to release its new console at anything but a 1-1 ratio. MS have paved that way.

This source isn't the most trustworthy, but I've long harped on about value. You can't expect them to put all that technology out at the same price as the X360. People can hope though.

The PSP was priced very competitively compared to what the competition was offering.

Hardknock said:
The PSP was priced very competitively compared to what the competition was offering.

Well, it was 66% more expensive, IIRC, than DS. Which if we applied to 360 premium would make PS3 over $650 ;)

Titanio said:
Well, it was 66% more expensive, IIRC, than DS. Which if we applied to 360 premium would make PS3 over $650 ;)

There is also a much bigger jump in technology between PSP and the DS than between Xbox 360 and PS3 ;)

Not to mention it's coming out a year after the 360. I don't see why this thing has to be so much more expensive, but I guess Blu-Ray drives and Cell aren't as inexpensive to manufacture as we were lead to believe.

Well..If this thing is 500 or more here in the states..I will pass it up for sure.

I just don't care enough about blu-ray to pay that much for something I just want to play games on. I don't even use my 360 as my primary dvd player.

heavenlyglory said:
Well..If this thing is 500 or more here in the states..I will pass it up for sure.

I just don't care enough about blu-ray to pay that much for something I just want to play games on. I don't even use my 360 as my primary dvd player.

you're right console dvd players have never been good quality, i doubt sony will put a high quality BR in ps3 to reduce costs

Stupid ass Sony reps.

Why would you mention a price range at all knowing that the internet would turn it into stupid theories about how it is now a set price or complain about how it isnt.

Damn armchair quaterbacks and Area 51 nutjobs.

God I hate the internet sometimes.

fulcizombie said:
I can accept a price of 450 euros(for the premium with a hard drive of course) but anything above that is a steal.Sony has a lot to gain from the blue ray format so they shouldn't present that as an excuse if the ps3 ends up being too expensive(which it won't but still....).

Principally I agree. If sony feels that they need to majorly push the BR format and use the PS3 to do it, they should also stand for its costs. But still, IF the cost of a BR drive is actually $100 more than a DVD drive that would be quite a bit of money for them to suck up and would make them effectively have maybe twice the amount of money the loose per console compaired to MS. I don't think they can afford that.

599 euros for a gaming console is unacceptable and it's not even a money thing for me.

Yep, 599€ is to much, but I think 499€ is kind of OK. That is what consoles have costed before at launch, so it shouldn't be a surprize, but sure when you have a competitor that is 100€ lower things do change...

Kabbage said:
Stupid ass Sony reps.

Why would you mention a price range at all knowing that the internet would turn it into stupid theories about how it is now a set price or complain about how it isnt.

Damn armchair quaterbacks and Area 51 nutjobs.

God I hate the internet sometimes.
Its called hype and Sony are the masters of it. Sony is basically getting free marketing from the internet and the people who seek news about PS3.

Back to square one...

Comments made by Sony Computer Entertainment France boss Georges Fornay which appeared to indicate the price point for PlayStation 3 have been misinterpreted and do not allude to the price of the system, the company has told GamesIndustry.biz.

The idea that Fornay's mention of 499 to 599 Euro price ranges was an indication of the PS3's price point is "a mistranslation or misunderstanding of the discussion, which was actually focused on the relative value of PS3 as a Bluray Disc player," according to SCEE corporate communications director Nick Sharples.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15937

Back