How far can we push the GC architeture?

see colon said:
that depends on the type of AA you are using (multisample or supersample). but either way, with only about 2MB of framebuffer you'll only have room for a single frame with no AA anyway, so you'll have to start tiling you image anyway.
I'm not mistaken Flipper supported a 3x multisample mode, but only with 16 bit color and depth and, on top of that, interlaced (640x240). That works out to 1800KiB, so it should fully fit within the integrated FB.

Hardly any GC game uses AA, for more than one reason. Such as:

A - AA uses 3-sample supersampling, so fillrate is basically cut to a third. As Flipper isn't too abundantly endowed in that regard to begin with, it would be a severe drag on performance in most games, especially those using a lot of alpha blending.
B - due to the small on-chip framebuffer, the scene needs to be rendered in two separate vertical passes. This means processing all geometry twice (from what I've read anyway, though maybe it could be possible to get around that by clipping to a top and bottom viewport and essentially rendering the two passes as separate streams of geometry, if that doesn't introduce too much extra overhead somewhere else in the rendering chain...

Hopefully, sample averaging is done during the copyback process when the FB is converted to YUV and dumped into main RAM, so that main memory useage doesn't increase beyond what is needed for non-AA'd rendering. Either this info is obscure or not publically known, or I've forgotten about it. :)

Yes, from what I've heard few if any titles used that mode.

nota bene: If it is assumed that the frame buffer is interlaced, then you wouldn't necessarily need two geometry submissions per frame. The odd scan lines would be rendered in frame <n> and the even scan lines would be drawn in frame <n+1>, just as it was with the early PS2 titles.

swaaye said:
I"ve never seen AA on the machine. RE4 definitely does not have it.

RE4's one of the jaggiest games I've ever seen and the exception rather than the rule (although the jaggies mysteriously clear up after the castle). I'm going to fall back on the old "It doesn't matter how you do it; all that matters is how it looks" claim. I'm not technical enough to know how things are being done, but Gamecube games have always looked much, much smoother to me than PS2 games or PC games running at 640x480 with no AA. There's of course room for improvement, but whether exclusives like Metroid Prime and Baten Kaitos or cross-platform games like Fight Night 2 and Beyond Good and Evil, jaggification and shimmering just weren't much of a problem. Someone who's programmed the machine could tell us how it's done, but as far as I'm concerned the results looked very smooth for this gen, and that's all that counts in the end.

Nice to know, I remember they had 65nm for mid 06 I wonder if they will release it using 65nm specially if the 24Mgs are on die (acording to IGN) and for fall they should be able to that.

Wow.

^That was a very special response there slick.

You really don't want to stay here long do you?

Ehh, doesn't matter, continuous posts like that, and you'll just be another memory in this forum.

In his first half-hour on the board he made no fewer than ten troll posts; that has to be a new record of some sort.

akira888 said:
In his first half-hour on the board he made no fewer than ten troll posts; that has to be a new record of some sort.
Have the admins give him a medal before they kick him out.

Time Efficient Troll of the Year.

Back