Articles to write ? (Feedback)

Kristof

Regular
Supporter
What are the articles we have to write to bring Beyond3d back to its old self ?

I was thinking about :

1. FSAA : the complete overview
-> Starting from the 3dfx document write a new updated version that includes all the latest techniques, sample patterns, efficiency. Remove the fluff from the 3dfx version and add-in things that were "accidentially" not mentioned.

2. Bandwidth saving techniques
-> Write a whole document about bandwidth saving techniques. Try to compare where possible. Identify all the possible bottlenecks in the system.

Other idea's are welcome. It will probably be next month before I can get to actually writing any of this. Holidays and GDC coming up.

Another Question :

How would you guys feel if all these bigger articles would appear online in a regular html form with banners and would also be available in PDF but for a small price (since PDFs have no advertising revenue). A system like this is being used on AcesHardware. Would you find this acceptable ?

Developer Relations Engineer PowerVR Technologies
Technical Editor Beyond3D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kristof on 2002-02-10 10:07 ]</font>

I agree with all three. I think a full GF4 vs. 8500 128MB review, with your in-depth review of minimum FPS and tech bottlenecks would also be a big traffic generator. Anything that brings the focus to consistent framerates over absurd max FPs numbers will be welcomed.

I'd like to see a 8500 vs GF4 too, but it would be great if there is a 8500LE vs GF4 TI 4200 review. (everyone has a high end compare, but these cards are too expensive for me)

As for the PDF... i dont really need downloadable PDFs of any article (even if its free)... i mean i can just watch it as HTML and if i want it, i can save the whole HTML with pics on my harddrive.

I'd like too see a PS 1.1 vs 1.4 (NV vs ATI) too... whats possible with the new one that the old cant do? from what i'Ve read PS 1.4 has different instructions. Are the compatible with the old (1.1) ones or does ATI has to "emulate" PS 1.1?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mat on 2002-02-10 10:46 ]</font>

I'd rather prefer theoretical articles than reviews. Information in reviews is more focused on one particular product, while theoretical articles can be interessting for several products, even several generations of products.

An article about the different FSAA-methods would be great ( OGSS;RGSS;Z3;Sparse Supersampling etc.. )

But how about an article about Rip-Mapping, Anisotropic filtering (different methods and taps) FAST; Footprint assembly etc. IMHO the filtering methods now in use will not be the end of it, but only the beginning, so an article about all the new more advanced forms of Texel-filtering would be great.

[edit] : Or how about older but golder FSAA and Filtering algorithm like the ZZ-buffer I just found minutes ago (improved form of A-buffer which approaches ray tracing in quality but is much faster according to the authors )

Manfred

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mboeller on 2002-02-10 15:15 ]</font>

On 2002-02-10 13:33, Brimstone wrote:
How about an article on FC RAM? How might the reduction of latency effect graphic card performance? Lower latency should produce more effective use of clock cycles, so what kind of performance boost would be seen?

Almost none. Pipelines on a GPU are so deep that most of memory latencies can be hidden trough prefetching. Low latencies make sense only with caches in a tipical GPU, imho.

ciao,
Marco

I'll second ram's notion too.

I'd just like to add a request for a theoretical "Multisampling AA on Tilers" article.

About the articles-suggestions: Both seem fine to me. I would also like an article which would explain the higher color precision..what do we need 64bit color?

A nice article would be one that would explain the way a gfx card works. What are the registers etc...How do the new features work..

For the pdf: Personally I wouldn't pay not because I don't want to support B3d, but because I don't trust the internet security yet (credit card fraud) :smile:.
I would prefer the printable version of Anandtech...

Keep up the good work!

A question..can some one outside to the Beyond3d's staff provide informations or articles that will be published on the site ?(if it'll be a good work, of course :smile:)

ciao,
marco

I would like to see an article about lighting and shadowing. There are lot of words coming from developers and hardware makers.

realtime lighting,per pixel lighting,vertex lighting,dynamic lighting,phong shading,diffuse,specular,anistropic lighting

what does it mean exactly and what different approaches we looking at in games today, whats todays hardware capable of, stuff like that.

about the pfd files depends of how much it will cost.

A question..can some one outside to the Beyond3d's staff provide informations or articles that will be published on the site ?

We'd be gald to provide a forum for good articles to be published if they suit the site. Peter Greenhalgh (idris5) has had the Transmeta article here for some time.

I believe Rev had a few others lined up prior to our downtime.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaveBaumann on 2002-02-10 16:04 ]</font>

No offence guys but whats the big deal about FSAA technology. With all the other neat features out there, pixel and vertex shaders, HSR , truform, vertex shaders, EBMM...etc... why is all this attention being placed on BLUR technology.
Does anyone here actually think it should take precedence over games engines like Codecult CODECREATURES Demo running at playable frames ??
A great example of what I'm talking about is the Aquanox review 4X Accuview shot on Chip Online.

1604243_80e76d4da9.jpg

With games becoming more complex and realistic looking modern video cards will not be able to use FSAA at playable frame rates..example above 24 fps..Yehhhh. As game continue to put more polys on the screen (UT 2) FSAA is not a option.

Does anyone actually think FSAA is a option with a engine like this:

c-5.jpg

c-1.jpg

c-7.jpg

I know personally If I had a choice I'd take the above game with a few jaggies at 1280 x 1024 and play on a engine like that.

Well there is a point with FSAA. Even if I don't use it a lot myself.
Even at 1600*1200 you have jaggies, and only FSAA can remove them.

So an article about FSAA would be great :smile: Love reading about that stuff. Also an article about anisotrophic filtering would be fun to read.

Why are you (Doom) always posting that picture from Aquamark? To show how damn fast GF4 is? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Galilee on 2002-02-10 16:21 ]</font>

To show a example of how the fastest FSAA is card is brought to its knees with a modern game engine with lots of eye candy...simple to understand Galilee.
FSAA is not useable here, now apply that to the same engine from Codecult with rockets and planes flying overhead..explosions..high poly models running around.
Is FSAA a Feature gonna be used..I high doubt it.

This is slightly OT, but still . . .

Doomtrooper, pray do explain how high/complex polygon load and FSAA are mutually exclusive as you imply with your posts in this thread.

ta,
.rb

________
vaporizers

Last edited by a moderator:
Nggalai,

Not sure if I understand your question but FSAA and high polycount games don't mix. Try running a game like Medal of Honor: Armored Assault with FSAA on and see what happens. Not even a Ti4600 could get playable frame rates with 4x FSAA on the OMHA beach map.
So my original request was to see more reviews done on ADVANCED features like PS, VS etc..vs the same old FSAA. I personally believe far too much time is spent on getting rid of a jaggies..but that is my opinion.

FSAA must basically draw the scene a couple of time depending on the sampling to my understanding, saying that... cards today can't give the performance required using a game engine similar to the one above and use FSAA too.

So IMO I'd rather see more reviews done on OTHER advanced features....as FSAA should be taking a backseat until we can get game engines like the one above playing with respectable frames @ 1280 x 1024 32 bit with 8 high poly models on the screen.

Back