Deceptive adbanners on B3D

Maybe the site can be extended like Driverheaven that allows people who pay a small fee over time could get rid of all ads?
Those who don't pay keep the ads.

I have to agree that there isn't any annoying ads or popups and I spend as much time on these forums as possible.
If you look at the amount of time I logged in; it's huge.

You aren't really going to close the forums right?
Also I enabled Beyond3D full access to cookies but I disabled all cookies by default.
In other words a site has to be in my URL thingy for cookies to be enabled.
Would that effect the add revenue?
I click on links every so often even if they unintrest me but I'd like to know if I have to enable cookies globally.

Sorry if this sounds like a HTML tutorial or whatever but I would like to know.

Dave Baumann said:
As I said, we ask our advertisers not to put any multimedia ads through rotation and when they do occasionally slip through we ask them to trawl through the codes and remove them - rarely are the here for long. The particular ad in question is not illegal either.

And, personally I find it an extremely selfish point of view to be blocking ads when they are the only means of a sites support - how much do you lot pay for this resource? Not a bloody bean, thats how much. And then you complain about the few meagre ads that there are here - as I said, you have an easy life here in comparison to other sites and the level of ads, pops, text link ads in the middle or articles and yet you choose to whine about the two banners on the forum (that are in easy to ignore locations, unlike other forums).

If you can't be arsed to even allow us these to support the site, then theres a simple solution - we'll close the forums.

Dave Baumann said:
And, personally I find it an extremely selfish point of view to be blocking ads when they are the only means of a sites support
I can only speak for myself of course, but I don't block ads. If I had, I wouldn't even have seen the one I posted about to begin with! :p

how much do you lot pay for this resource? Not a bloody bean, thats how much.
One could argue that most of this resource is made up of its many knowledgeable users, so seen from that POV, people pay by giving of their time and sharing their experiences on the forums.

Dave Baumann said:
As I said, we ask our advertisers not to put any multimedia ads through rotation and when they do occasionally slip through we ask them to trawl through the codes and remove them - rarely are the here for long. The particular ad in question is not illegal either.

And, personally I find it an extremely selfish point of view to be blocking ads when they are the only means of a sites support - how much do you lot pay for this resource? Not a bloody bean, thats how much. And then you complain about the few meagre ads that there are here - as I said, you have an easy life here in comparison to other sites and the level of ads, pops, text link ads in the middle or articles and yet you choose to whine about the two banners on the forum (that are in easy to ignore locations, unlike other forums).

If you can't be arsed to even allow us these to support the site, then theres a simple solution - we'll close the forums.

Well, take this as you will, but with the amount of time i spend on these boards (basically 9 to 5 monday to friday), i'd be more than happy to support the site properly through donations or something, since i can admit here and now that i never click on the ads - i just never do for some reason, not for spite or because i don't want to support the site, i just never do...

And i think lots of people here would be more than happy to contribute to the site through donations too, cause it would be a real shame to see this place go, be it the site or the forums too.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Maybe the site can be extended like Driverheaven that allows people who pay a small fee over time could get rid of all ads?
Those who don't pay keep the ads.

Hey Dave, have you guys pursued any other methods of generating revenue? I mean besides selling your spin in reviews hAHAHAHA (please don't kill me it's a joke!! :oops: ) Seriously, how about a yearly donation for some ad-free privileges? Or a t-shirt or hat design contest perhaps? I realize these would be unlikely to supplant the revenue from advertisers, but I figure that they might help. Anything to be permitted to block ads lol -- many foreign sites (like this one) travel relatively slowly to mainland China...

Lol, I just spent 15 minutes searching for tshirts and whatnot mentioned in the past... Although I didn't find any, I DID find a slew of posts about digi's puppies... pretty funny stuff. XDXDXD

Dave you should consider putting a optional paypal option of a couple bucks to help with costs, since this being the best technology forum out there. It would be a sad day if this forum dissappered like it did during the post 3DFX Dave Barren days.
The forum has never been better.

Why don't you guys like the ads? When an error occurs on my computer, I want to know dammit!

Some people...

Just got a "pop-up blocked" when I was browsing B3D's forums. And the new banner on top of the page is IRRITATING. Flashing, "Warning - Spyware Notice", banner that is.

Miksu said:
Just got a "pop-up blocked" when I was browsing B3D's forums. And the new banner on top of the page is IRRITATING. Flashing, "Warning - Spyware Notice", banner that is.

Weird...
I guess you don't use Firefox, since I never have any problems around here...

london-boy said:
Never ever had a pop up from Beyond3D in 4 years i've been here. I think.

Maybe you have different settings so FF doesn't show that it blocked a pop-up? There surely are LOADS of pop-ups here. There is one every 2-3 new tabs.

_xxx_ said:
Maybe you have different settings so FF doesn't show that it blocked a pop-up? There surely are LOADS of pop-ups here. There is one every 2-3 new tabs.

I use explorer at work, no pop-ups and i don't have pop-up blocker.
I use FF at home, no pop-ups...

:???: Weird

_xxx_ said:

Eh? Not for me either. Don't think I've ever had a popup from B3D with either IE or FF, in the labs (where the OS is fresh off the LAN) or at home.

If people block the ads Dave will have to downside from the Rover 800 to the Rover 100 which is just a rebadged Mini metro of course.

Here at work the ad banners turn into a warning saying the Internet should only be used for work puproses. At home I see them, there does not seem that many to be honest. Look how many Anandtech crams in ! I think Dave has it just right.

MuFu said:
Eh? Not for me either. Don't think I've ever had a popup from B3D with either IE or FF, in the labs (where the OS is fresh off the LAN) or at home.

Hmm. No idea, but I get them often, at work as well as at home. And both machines are definitely clean.

Well the ads are based on locality, IIRC. Maybe we're all fine but Deutschland gets it in zee ass.

Back