Hostel - the movie

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Went to see it last night...

Now, i'm not sure i "got it" so to speak, but whatever was there to "get", i didn't. It was absolutely atrocious, so bad that it makes previous efforts by both Tarantino and Roth look like Oscar winners.

It was plain bad.

The gore was... cheap and pointless... the whole movie was cheap and totally pointless.

It wasn't scary at all, it just made you go "urrgh" with cheap and tiny gore scenes, and that was it.
For a movie to be scary, it needs to scare our minds with a story, like The Ring or The Grudge; graphical gore isn't "scary", it's just gross. And cheap.

Also, the first 20mins/half hour were absolutely dreadful, more than the rest of the movie.

All in all, hype with absolutely no substance whatsoever.

All in my opinion of course! ;)

mondoterrifico said:
Tarantino only provided financing for the movie I think, and had nothing to do with the movie itself.

Well i think it would be in his best interest to distance himself from such piles of shit in the future. It was really bad.

london-boy said:
For a movie to be scary, it needs to scare our minds with a story, like The Ring or The Grudge; graphical gore isn't "scary", it's just gross.

Gore rules!!! Who cares about scary? I don't know the movie, but I might go see it, since I LOVE gory movies without any important story.

_xxx_ said:
Gore rules!!! Who cares about scary? I don't know the movie, but I might go see it, since I LOVE gory movies without any important story.

Anyone else feel uncomfortable after they read this?

And l-b, I completely agree with you about the movie. Just ridiculous.

_xxx_ said:

Well you'll love the few minutes of gore in this brainless movie then. ;)

Kanyamagufa said:

Heh, you haven't seen his picture! Imagine The Omen, 90's goth metal rock, and more important, very close to where the movie is based (Slovakia or something)! :devilish:

Kanyamagufa said:

Hey, I'm not some kind of whacko! :LOL:

I like excessive violence in games/movies ONLY, in real life it's very much the opposite.

_xxx_ said:
Hey, I'm not some kind of whacko! :LOL:

I like excessive violence in games/movies ONLY, in real life it's very much the opposite.

I actually could see you fitting very well in the movie. I'm serious!

_xxx_ said:
It surely would have more gore with me in it! :devilish:
I guess you'll love how the first half of the movie has gratuitous nudity and sex scenes...

The whole movie seemed targeted to hormonal unbalanced teenagers...

I can't believe some websites (IGN!!!) said it's "well acted" in their review...... :oops:

It was like a 1980's teenage horror flick crossed with a "gore" movie. I thoguht it was incredibly boring and a terrible movie.

From the spoilers I've read of Silent Hill, I don't think you'll like that movie either... ;)

Gore-wise anyways... But then again, SH has always been about the grotesque.

I saw it a few weeks ago.. dvd ;)
The first 30 minutes suck, just setting up the story.
But its not really that gory, not a lot of screen time.
It was decent but I a wasn't totally into it.
I liked how the one guy got his achilles tendon cut and the dude said he was free to go :D

drpepper said:
From the spoilers I've read of Silent Hill, I don't think you'll like that movie either... ;)

Gore-wise anyways... But then again, SH has always been about the grotesque.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like i don't liek gore, i LOVE gore, but gore by itself is just a showcase for the production company's make-up and special effects artists, nothing more.
I'm sure Silent Hill will be much, much more interesting than Hostel, simply because i've been through 2 of the 4 games and absolutely loved the very creepy psychologically messed up stories...

london-boy said:
Don't get me wrong, it's not like i don't liek gore, i LOVE gore, but gore by itself is just a showcase for the production company's make-up and special effects artists, nothing more.
I'm sure Silent Hill will be much, much more interesting than Hostel, simply because i've been through 2 of the 4 games and absolutely loved the very creepy psychologically messed up stories...

I'm with you on that one. A scary movie doesn't necessarily have to expose someone's gut to get its point accross. I remember the old Amytiville Horror movie (not the new one) freaked me out based on subtle visual vues.

While we're onto to horror genre, has anybody seen Saw II? How does it compare to the original? Just wondering, I thought the first one was "OK". Different would be how I would put it.

drpepper said:
I'm with you on that one. A scary movie doesn't necessarily have to expose someone's gut to get its point accross. I remember the old Amytiville Horror movie (not the new one) freaked me out based on subtle visual vues.

While we're onto to horror genre, has anybody seen Saw II? How does it compare to the original? Just wondering, I thought the first one was "OK". Different would be how I would put it.

See, i much preferred Saw to Hostel, at least there was a story that kept you thinking, and the end was a big shocker. Saw was also a movie that didn't show much - if you watch it, you'll notice that there isn't that much real "gore", most of the gory bits are more "hinted at" that actually shown.

Back