Revolution specs from IGN

see colon said:
then again, MHz never tell the entire story. looking at clockspeed alone it looks like Xenos is only about 2x NV2a.

But if they are extentions then MHz alone tell much more than in those cases, you still have a problem about wha can be considered a extention but MHz still a prevalent problem.

skilzygw said:
Who cares how easy it is to develop for if there is no one to buy the games? Didn't gamecube 3rd parties have a tough time selling their games on GC?

Depends on what you mean... Problem of 3rd party on Nintendo consoles is, of course, having to compete with Nintendo. Good 3rd party games sold pretty well on GC, some even better than what they sold on other systems (IIRC, Viewtiful Joe did pretty well on GC but bombed horribly on PS2). EA and Acclaim-like turdware bombed horribly on the GC, like they should have done on the other systems. I don't think there's any glory for the PS2/XBox to have 50 Cent as a million-seller, for example.

After the N64, the GC was seen as a system to play Nintendo games first and foremost, and the people buying it were mostly Nintendo fans. That certainly influenced 3rd party developers a lot. If Nintendo succeeds in bringing non or ex-gamers onboard with the Revolution (I believe this strategy will succeed pretty well in Japan, not sure about US/EU though), then it will be more of a clean state and 3rd party will have a better chance of success.

Also, "success" means gaining money. If a developer sells enough copies of their Revolution game to break even, then it's a success for them, even if Brain Training Revolution or Animal Crossing Revolution sells a gazillion times better in the meantime.

With these specs i would not pay over $150 for this console. At $199 I could spend a 100 more and get a 360 core system.

To each his own priorities, and I can certainly understand people not wanting a Rev at $200. I believe than even with a price drop on the 360 Core, if you take all the extras into account (Memory card, HD cable if you need one...) the Rev will end up significantly cheaper. Big question mark for me is the price of extra Revmotes and the various shells.

pc999 said:
But if they are extentions then MHz alone tell much more than in those cases, you still have a problem about wha can be considered a extention but MHz still a prevalent problem.
it really depends on how you define extension. is the r400 series not an extention of the r300 series? what if they doubled the pipelines along with the clockrate of the GPU? MHz mean nothing without a full picture of what's going on.

If graphics don't matter, why don't they just release this Rev-Mote for Gamecube instead of saying hardware doesn't matter and releasing a new console with Xbox specs. They could package it in for free with games that take advantage of it.

I don't get how everyone is saying that PS3 and Xbox360 aren't doing anything differently than a PC, yet... Revolution somehow is because it is running last-gen specs with a new controller? Color me confused, but how many of you guys have actually seen a Revolution game being played, or have played one for yourself to know and state as fact that it is infact an amazing experience that can't be matched on Xbox360 or PS3, be it by a standard controller or with EyeToy.

I'm just not sold on the idea at all... simply telling me that it's going to be like this and that isn't as good as showing it. I need to be convinced that Nintendo isn't going to be the only developer that is going to take advantage of this new controller and innovate with it. More likely than not, Nintendo will release several cool games, we'll get a ton of 3rd-party crap ports... maybe Kojima will do something cool, it seems like a huge gimmick, thats about it IMHO.

Nintendo will do well in NA and Europe because of the affordability, approachability, and new quirky interface. But where it will really shine is in Japan. It will absolutely compete, if not outsell the PS3 - not that this will matter much on the whole, as Japan is a relatively moderate sized market compared to the other 2 places. I foresee a DS repeat with the Revolution.

Oh yeah, and it will retail for no more than $149.99 USD (if at that price, there will be a game bundled), or stand alone unit for $99.99 USD. Mark my words on that price.

see colon said:
it really depends on how you define extension. is the r400 series not an extention of the r300 series? what if they doubled the pipelines along with the clockrate of the GPU? MHz mean nothing without a full picture of what's going on.

Yes I know and I already pointed that in others threads (conroe is said to be a extension of P3).

ROG27 said:
Oh yeah, and it will retail for no more than $149.99 USD (if at that price, there will be a game bundled), or stand alone unit for $99.99 USD. Mark my words on that price.

It is beter be 99$ or less (if it is as IGN say it is).

ROG27 said:
Nintendo will do well in NA and Europe because of the affordability, approachability, and new quirky interface. But where it will really shine is in Japan. It will absolutely compete, if not outsell the PS3 - not that this will matter much on the whole, as Japan is a relatively moderate sized market compared to the other 2 places. I foresee a DS repeat with the Revolution.

No more than what? How much are they selling the DS for $150, i think they would sell the console for more?

Last edited by a moderator:
No expanded pixel-shaders, but what about the TEV unit? They might not expand it much, but what if there are more of these things in there, if it's at all possible.

Wouldn't that effectively boost it's pixel shading capabilities without really delving into the traditional pixel-shader arena?

Or was that a question that made no real sense?

Firstly you don't spend large amounts of time and R&D money to overclock a chip to 240Mhz at 90nm that was already capable of over 200Mhz at 180nm. Secondly ATI would have to be insane to describe an overclock of an old chip as a "new GPU designed from the ground up for Nintendo Revolution", which is exactly how they have described it.

fearsomepirate said:
No shaders = no next-gen graphics, 640x480 or no. I'm really, really surprised that Nintendo is building a machine that wouldn't have been been considered powerful in 2002.

Suggests that its unlikely is hardly a definite is it? In fact it suggests that its unlikely that this developer really knows much about the GPU.

gamepower said:
I cannot believe this specs.Only 3MB textur/framebuffer?It ist the same from the 5 years older Gamecube,there is no changes??You need a big textur/framebuffer not only for higher resolutions ,you need it for big textures,for a good AA,for many effects.

Why would Revolution need a bigger framebuffer so badely? The size of the embedded ram is one area that doesn't really need much improvement over GC if you ask me. Xbox 360 only has a 10MB framebuffer and Revolution will be drawing only one third of the pixels compared to 360. 10MB / 3 = 3.33 (GC's embedded ram was 3.3MB AFAIR so this is likely the same).

london-boy said:
I might be the only one, i don't know and i don't care, haven't read the whole thread, but having seen the controller and imagining the things that could be done with it, i am really really excited about Revolution. I mean, REALLY. I don't give a damn about specs, although i do admit that PS3 specs with Nintendo's mentality would be really nice. Having said that, i really can't wait to see what Nintendo will come up to.
By contrast, i'm tiepidly excited about PS3 now, and not excited at all about X360.
And that, coming from me, is really something else.

Personally i think that Nintendo's sitting on a goldmine, the only thing that worries me is that there might just be not enough new games for Revolution, like there weren't a lot of games on GC compared to the competition.

personally i share your view on this subject.

Teasy said:
I read them before I posted that comment. Doesn't change the fact that if Matt's source knows the specs for Hollywood then he wouldn't have to suggest that a certain feature might be unlikely, he would know if its there or not.

Sure he's saying he doesn't have the specifics other than the numbers he posted, but from the sound of things putting DX9 style shaders on a chip with a low clock speed would be pretty useless imo. it's like my notebook computer, it has a nvidia graphics chip that is DX9 level, but when you try pixel shading it's so slow there's no point in using it. I can't see nintendo being wasteful and adding any feratures they can't make use of.

I don't know why you are holding onto that one comment of his while ignoring other comments he made. pixel shading and low GPU clock speeds don't typically go hand in hand.

Qroach said:
Sure he's saying he doesn't have the specifics other than the numbers he posted, but from the sound of things putting DX9 style shaders on a chip with a low clock speed would be pretty useless imo.

Radeon 9700 ran at 275 MHz. It wasn't such a bad card, really. I wonder how it would handle a DX9 game at 640x480, too.

Heh, guess I was right about Rev not being able to handle UE3.0, these specs are pityfull.

In any case, I just have one question, what makes people think this will do so well in Japan?? Even worse, to the point of outselling PS3?? Yes, the DS is a huge hit, but handhelds were always in Nintendo´s hand (and Sony seems poised to take at least 40% of the market).

What makes people think a console that looks this bad will be a huge success just because it includes a gimmick controller??

I don't get how everyone is saying that PS3 and Xbox360 aren't doing anything differently than a PC, yet... Revolution somehow is because it is running last-gen specs with a new controller? Color me confused, but how many of you guys have actually seen a Revolution game being played, or have played one for yourself to know and state as fact that it is infact an amazing experience that can't be matched on Xbox360 or PS3, be it by a standard controller or with EyeToy.

In terms of hardware? We know neither console are. The PS3 is using a multicore CPU architecture with a PC graphics core based off the NV47 aka G70 and the Xbox360 is likewise using a multicore CPU architecture with a graphics core based off future and current versions of computer hardware/API in terms of capabilities (save some small things like FP10). Its just a console after all.

And once again, the entire premice of the Revolution is based around the controller. Nintendo has said this multiple times. What makes you and a few others who have made simular comments so bazaar that you think its a gimmick. Do you really think at all? Nintendo has far more to lose then Sony and MS, so i'm sure they're lying like you make it out to be. They must be recycling overclocked gamecubes right?! God forbid they make something fun and innovative. Certainly wouldnt be possible someone opened their eyes and realised they would be in the same place they were for the last half a decade if they pumped out another console with the exact same gaming capabilities as their counterparts.

I already slaughtered the argument on page 1 that if it takes off it would never be something Sony or MS would want to blow loads of money on to match for their nextgen consoles. They have plenty of brain dead gamers out there who get a boner every time they hear a new hint or screenshot about graphic capabilities (though its usually something a PC card was able to do a year ago) to make money off of. And way too many of them dont care about actual game quality. Case in point the Killzone CGI debacle. Even if it was real it would of been a sequel to a garbage/lackluster game with poor AI, plot and controls yet it garnered MASSIVE hype. Your comments basically telling people not to get excited, that its a gimmick and this console must suck cause of its proposed hardware specs, are even more empty and stupid then those of us who are making optimistic statements that Nintendo may be on to something.

Almasy said:
Heh, guess I was right about Rev not being able to handle UE3.0, these specs are pityfull.

In any case, I just have one question, what makes people think this will do so well in Japan?? Even worse, to the point of outselling PS3?? Yes, the DS is a huge hit, but handhelds were always in Nintendo´s hand (and Sony seems poised to take at least 40% of the market).

What makes people think a console that looks this bad will be a huge success just because it includes a gimmick controller??

Nobody in this thread used the phrases "huge success" or "outselling PS3". Infact no one has said anything remotely close to anything that bold until you brought it up. Unless you're schizoid and arguing with yourself, please read the thread and make a comment relating to the topics people have brought up rather then going off on your own tangent. Crap like that degrades threads fast.

The comments coming from nearly everyone in this thread are pretty ridiculous. Let's get some facts first before coming out pro/con for Nintendo.

1) No one has seen any games
2) Very few people have played with the controller, and those that have loved it.
3) No one has seen any games
4) No one has seen any games
5) No one has seen any games

Repeat after me until your tongue falls out.....

The only system we know anything for sure about is Xbox 360, and that's because it's actually out. How about everyone chilling, particularly when it comes to ANY news released within days of April fools, until we get official word from Nintendo at E3?

Back