Goodbye Stanislaw Lem

I quit reading (any) science fiction type literature a long time ago, but I still love his satirical pieces and the novel Fiasco. He is, in my opinion, what Ursula LeGuin is to Fantasy/Crossover. Extremely intelligent, original, and always entertaining.
May he rest in peace.

Heh, yeah, after reading most of Asimov and Clarke in my early teens, I experienced some monumental "WTF?"-moments while reading The Cyberiad. His work sure was original.

In 80's at school , I and several friends used to read his "Futurologic congress" and other stories about Ijon Tichy in the breaks... we were Laughing Out Loud ... astonishing those around :D , also i remember reading "Pirx the Pilot" when I was ~ 11-12... it was one of my favourite books ... next to Asimov's "I, Robot" .....

btw at http://world.std.com/~mmcirvin/vitrifax.html one can see short reviews about his writings ( I used it to see english names of the books)

Beside some quite short stories, I know only "The Star Diaries", the adventures of Ion Tichy, and "Eden". While the star diaries were funny, they were also deep philosophical. "Eden" was hard to understand for me.

But Lem's science fiction was far beyond the common science fiction with a lengthy description of future's technology followed by the culmination, a meeting with strange aliens.

Back