Which movie should I watch first?

nintenho

Veteran
My friend just got back from asia and brought back a bunch of DVDs. There are 4 big ones that I haven't seen anywhere and I wanted to know which one I should watch first.

They are:
-A History of Violence
-Star Wars: Episode 3
-War of the Worlds
-Sin City

I haven't seen A History of Violence but I heard it was great.

The other 3 are also good, but Sin City is head-and-shoulders above the others.

Blade said:
I haven't seen A History of Violence but I heard it was great.

The other 3 are also good, but Sin City is head-and-shoulders above the others.
What exactly is Sin City about? I heard that it was based on a comic book and that the way the movie goes is that they put together three stories from the comics.

that pretty much sums it up. Its a dark noir movie with many notable actors/actresses. Popcorn flick.

War of the Worlds is pretty bad. Tom Cruise got 3 razzie nominations for worst actor due to his performance in that movie. The entire movie was crap in my opinion except for the special effects, which is hardly a reason to watch that movie.

nintenho said:
My friend just got back from asia and brought back a bunch of DVDs. There are 4 big ones that I haven't seen anywhere and I wanted to know which one I should watch first.

That depends. Do you want to start with the stinkers or good ones?

From bad to good:
1. WoW
2. SW: E3
3. A History of Violence / Sin City: both pretty good, but thematically Sin City would probably fit better with the previous 2, so I'd watch History of Violence last

SugarCoat said:
that pretty much sums it up. Its a dark noir movie with many notable actors/actresses. Popcorn flick.

War of the Worlds is pretty bad. Tom Cruise got 3 razzie nominations for worst actor due to his performance in that movie. The entire movie was crap in my opinion except for the special effects, which is hardly a reason to watch that movie.
That helps a lot, I'll watch Sin City first. Tom Cruise is usually a pretty competent actor, it's surprising that he would suck in such a big movie that has a lot of sentimental value to Spielberg.

I didn't think Tom sucked at all. In fact I really liked his performance. The script sucked in some ways (like if you get EMP'd, just change the "solenoid" and your car runs just fine again. A solenoid being a metal coil around a hunk of iron, and thus not a semiconductor, which are typically susceptible to EMP attacks...), but acting was good IMO.

Don't think Tom deserved that. Anyway, being the lead actor, I guess it falls on him to take shit like that when people don't like his movie, heh. He WAS paid $20M tho I suppose so if I was him I'd just accept the razzies and laugh all the way to the bank! ;) (Where I'd probably proceed to write a cheque for $10M to the fucking church of scientology, but hey... Still pretty good pay for a few months' work I guess.)

Like others have already said, Sin City's definitely the best of the ones I've seen. Don't know anything about History of Violence, never even heard of it.

Well with the role he played in this, it really wouldnt of done much if he got crushed to death mid way through or just evaporated into a plume of ash at the very end (this at least would of made people laugh).

Its not even worth comparing the two since they break off the origonals story pretty fast. I dont know if you remember the origonal or saw it but much of the story took place in a church, well right at the beginning of this they make it a point to destroy a large church so you know right away they're gonna do their own thing. Basically you have poor character development/writing/acting. To add to it the plot dragged and in many areas had the viewer asking questions. Really all they focused on was Cruise's portrayal as a bad father (and redemption there of), more so then any other part of the movie, including the actual taking over of the planet. Minority Report was by far better in many aspects as an enjoyable movie.

Anyway! Enjoy!

Don't know anything about History of Violence, never even heard of it.

Try to find it, its not bad at all. Should be available, quite new.

edit, am i the only one that noticed this? I cant be. But this is the first thing i thought of when i saw it.

tripodupclose.jpg

hl2_screen.Strider.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, A history of violence is the best movie, but Sin City is also good and seems to better fit in with your other choices.

I found the history of violence slow, and full of scenes that didn't really advance the plot by much.

It felt more like a short story stretched out to fill a full length movie.

It was certainly better than SW3, though.

SugarCoat said:
edit, am i the only one that noticed this? I cant be. But this is the first thing i thought of when i saw it.

tripodupclose.jpg

hl2_screen.Strider.gif

duh, well of course. Doesn't anybody read classic literature anymore? Of Course HL2 stole the tripod walkers from The War of The Worlds.

1. A History of Violence
***pretty films begin***
2. Sin City
3. Star Wars: Episode 3
4. War of the Worlds

Close one between AHOV and Sin City though. Both good.

I really disliked History of Violence.
*Spoilers*

The plot didn't seem to go anywhere and was just a string of events based off of the fact that those two guys came into the shop and he killed them. And then he's all super crazy with fighting and ends up killing everyone? ook...............and everything is back to normal at the end? not my cup o' tea.

The sex was kinda funny though. :LOL:

Back