Gran Turismo 4=best looking racer this generation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Falkster said:
Anyway, back on topic, I find it hard to say one racing game looks better over the other when GT4 and Forza both offered something better than the other. I liked GT4's car models more, but I liked Forza's road textures and backgrounds more. There was something about GT4 that made it look more realistic, I can't place my finger on it, so I'm just going to say it was the lighting. I agree that GT4 is a marvel, but Forza is far from sad (especially when it comes to gameplay).

GT4 has more superior lighting no? very nice. Also track has more real shapes. Nurburgring (?) track for GT4 is correct shape and miles but Forza track is wrong shape and miles. Physics also is more real for GT4. For same tracks Forza always has too fast speeds for corner turns. Also Forza is only 30 fps, very unfortunate.

mckmas8808 said:
I always seem to agree with you, but seriously do you really think GT4 looks better than PGR3?

I mean seriously?:???:
no no no...overall no. but GT4 has better lighting imo.

project-gotham-racing-3-2.jpg

amazing poly count, amazing enviorments, amazing modeled cars, but the lighting/shading on the cars just throws the whole image off, imho ofcourse.

scooby_dooby said:
To me the pre-baked lighting, 2d wheels, shimmering and complete lack of any damage model ruined GT4 for me. Forza was just so cool to be running the track at night, have the dynamic shadows play over your car, reflections in realtime, and watching your calipres glow through your fully 3d wheels.

To me GT4 looks best at first glance, while Forza looks better the more you play it and the more you notice. The colour scheme is down to opinion, I certainly have no problem with the bright vibrant colours in Forza they are very easy on the eyes, GT4's look really good too, though a little drab and the poly's in the backgrounds are alot lower.

I think powderkegs pictures speak louder than words.
Huh, those wheels aren't 2-D! Pre-baked lighting i'll give you but then again, all games this generation has it including FORZA, so what's your point in mentioning it then? Based on just looks, GT4 has less texture detail, polygons, and effects but makes up for it in resolution and framerate. GT4 does not push the ps2(most time when to art it seems) and runs at 60FPS. Imagine if they optimised and ran at 30fps, it would look so much more better than FORZA...but it didn't happen like that.:cry:

Register said:
GT4 stutters badly. 60 FPS my arse. That's the Sony 60 FPS (aka 45 if you're lucky) methinks.
Must be a different game we're playing then, I have never encountered any stuttering or slowdown in GT3-GT4 games.
And I think it's an universally acfcepted fact that GT3 and GT4 are very very smooth when it comes to framerate and consistency of framerate.
I think you're just delibrately trying to spread misinformation, for whatever reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:
Must be a different game we're playing then, I have never encountered any stuttering or slowdown in GT3-GT4 games.
And I think it's an universally acfcepted fact that GT3 and GT4 are very very smooth when it comes to framerate and consistency of framerate.
I think you're just delibrately trying to spread misinformation.

I second that, and I've spend hundreds of hours on both GT3 and GT4. I have yet to encounter any framerate drops.

rabidrabbit said:
While the PAL version runs with 50 fps only (but with slightly higher resolution) it is extremely smooth indeed. GT4's textured do shimmer, the polygon count of the road environment is quite low, and there are other things to be improved for GT5 – but GT4 delivers a rockstable framerate and a very good feeling of driving actually fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
GT4 is the most true-to-life renderings this gen, IMO. The lighting is quite close to realistic. Forza looks more like an arcade game. GT4's scenery won't be as detailed and will lack IQ of XB games, but it's more like the real thing. IF you prefer quality over realism, then Forza is more likely to float your boat.

It's perhaps worth adding that in the realm of creating photorealstic computer imagery, the order of precedence is Lighting > Texturing/Shading > Modelling. Realistic lighting makes the scene look real and solid. Texturing and shading defines the qualities of the materials and given an impression of what something is made of. Modelling defines what something is.

Get the modelling wrong and the other two right, the thing will look like a poorly made model, but a real model nonetheless.

Get texturing+shading right and the other two wrong, the object will look uncomfortably wrong. Like plastic people.

Get the lighting wrong and it'll look like CGs always.

The order of processing requirements reflects this. Accurate lighting >> complex shading >> lots of polys.

Well, shifty already said everything.

Oh and those few people complaining about pre-baked lighting, 2d wheels and 45 fps should buy some new glasses. Shame on you. :cry:

My take is that GT4 has better art but Forza graphics are technically better.

as far as comparing gt4 to PGR3, great static lighting can look better then realtime lighting in some cases, I think some people are going to argue that some older games have better lighting because of it, the same way that some people used to argue that 2D graphics looked better then 3D graphics when they first went mainstream

but the same with 2d graphics, static lighting is at its best and can't mature much more where realtime lighting, same as 3d, is still new and getting better all the time

pegisys said:
My take is that GT4 has better art but Forza graphics are technically better.

as far as comparing gt4 to PGR3, great static lighting can look better then realtime lighting in some cases,

Yup like in screenshots, but when things are moving and lighting actually is dynamic then it's a whole nother story.

I wonder how many of you guys singing the GT4 praises have played or for that matter even seeing Forza in person.

c0_re said:
Yup like in screenshots, but when things are moving and lighting actually is dynamic then it's a whole nother story.

I wonder how many of you guys singing the GT4 praises have played or for that matter even seeing Forza in person.
I've played Forza and PGR3.

PGR3 is best, hands down.

GT4 and Forza is a toss up. GT4 has more realistic palette, Forza has the technical edge.

c0_re said:

Same thing could be said for people singing the Forza praises. I have both.

I don't have prerference between either as they are different styles of gameplay in my opiinion but one thing does bug me:

GT4 and Forza are both last Gen

PGR3 is this Gen

And no, I'm, not trying to say any one of them is better than the other in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back