Gran Turismo 4=best looking racer this generation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSman said:
Man...

I just play GT4 yesterday on my HDTV, the game look BEAUTIFUL!, just photo-realistic. I've play a lot of racers on other console, and none of them looking as good as GT4. Amazing what talented developers can do with the PS2 hardware

Just IMO off course
While GT4 looks great indeed, it is imo much more than the look why I like GT4. With my Driving Force Pro, it is just a great feeling to drive. Plus there is a large and varied selection of tracks. And I like the physics of the driving and tuning.

I think GT4 looks better in the replay and the replay mode is better implemented.

Forza is very nice looking.

It should be. PS2 is WAY technically inferior hardware.

At least thats what the XBots say.

If you look at it that way, either GT4 is a marvel or Forza is pretty sad.

I think the reason that GT4 holds its own against Forza even though it's on hardware far inferior is because Polyphony's artists are exceptionally talented. The colour is far more realistic and natural looking than Forza's bright, often gaudy tones, even though if you stop you can see that there is clearly less environmental detail in GT4 and the cars have obviously lower polygon counts.

If Polyphony had the power of the XBox to work with, GT4 would've been better looking, hands down. With the power of the PS3 to work with, I can only wonder about how pretty GT5 is going to be.

nintenho said:
Not trolling, but what is good lighting to you?

Like not overly done, to me that was always the difference between PS2 and X-box racers, the PS2 game's for some reason always had the lighting bang on.

predicate said:
I think the reason that GT4 holds its own against Forza even though it's on hardware far inferior is because Polyphony's artists are exceptionally talented. The colour is far more realistic and natural looking than Forza's bright, often gaudy tones, even though if you stop you can see that there is clearly less environmental detail in GT4 and the cars have obviously lower polygon counts.

If Polyphony had the power of the XBox to work with, GT4 would've been better looking, hands down. With the power of the PS3 to work with, I can only wonder about how pretty GT5 is going to be.

I think you have nailed it on the spot here.
Too bad that the horrible texture aliasing utterly destroys the otherwise impressive graphics of GT4 for me...

To me the pre-baked lighting, 2d wheels, shimmering and complete lack of any damage model ruined GT4 for me. Forza was just so cool to be running the track at night, have the dynamic shadows play over your car, reflections in realtime, and watching your calipres glow through your fully 3d wheels.

To me GT4 looks best at first glance, while Forza looks better the more you play it and the more you notice. The colour scheme is down to opinion, I certainly have no problem with the bright vibrant colours in Forza they are very easy on the eyes, GT4's look really good too, though a little drab and the poly's in the backgrounds are alot lower.

I think powderkegs pictures speak louder than words.

Moonblade said:
TVs only go at 30 fps? Where did you hear that?
There are 60 different images per second on a television (NTSC).

NTSC is capable of...
29.97 full frames per second
59.94 interlaced frames / fields per second
"NTSC Film" standard is 23.976 FPS

The real refresh rate of NTSC was originally 60Hz, but when the color televisions were introduced, it was reduced to 59.9400599400599400... Hz ≈ 59.94 Hz to prevent audio fluttering on broadcasts.

PAL & SECAM show 25 full frames per second, 50 interlaced / fields per second.

forza looks like a videogame..... looks like those playboy-hyper makeup-photoshoped cleaned girls, its not the real deal and you can feel it.

its about the artists after all :)

scooby_dooby said:
To me the pre-baked lighting, 2d wheels, shimmering and complete lack of any damage model ruined GT4 for me. Forza was just so cool to be running the track at night, have the dynamic shadows play over your car, reflections in realtime, and watching your calipres glow through your fully 3d wheels.

2D wheels aren't even noticeable :oops: I haven't seen them. Pre-baked lighting? Again, not really sure what you're alluring to. In both cases, I think these are more like optimizations that are non-issues because they're justn ot noticeable (given that they exist). And shimmering we all agree is what ruins PGR3.

scooby_dooby said:
To me GT4 looks best at first glance, while Forza looks better the more you play it and the more you notice. The colour scheme is down to opinion, I certainly have no problem with the bright vibrant colours in Forza they are very easy on the eyes, GT4's look really good too, though a little drab and the poly's in the backgrounds are alot lower.

Many people are of the opinion that the colour and lighting and smeared look of Forza makes it look very unrealistic whereas GT4 does not.

scooby_dooby said:

His pictures say to me he hasn't tried very hard to find better looking GT4 pictures. In many cases GT4 looks better and more realistic than Forza and I think there are many screenshots that support this. In any Forza screenshot, you can tell instantly that its a game whereas in some GT4 ones you sometimes do wonder.

scooby_dooby said:

If you mean that enviromental reflections are prebaked in GT4 then I am convinved you havent playied or bothered with it.

seismologist said:
The areas where GT4 beats everything

art direction
60fps
1080i

59.94FPS ("60FPS") should be interlaced on NTSC, at least according to the standards..

Powderkeg said:

Wait a minute, you're arguing for Forza here? IMO, the GT4 screenshot looks clsoer to the real track than the Forza shot. Obviously, the Forza shot has more polygons and higher-res textures, but the GT4 shot still looks more like the actual thing. And is that car cel-shaded?

That said, IRL, the jaggies and texture sparkle kill GT4's graphics for me. But the controls are very, very nice. I think the cars drive more like the real thing, well, at least the cars I've actually driven (i.e. all the boring mom-mobiles) "feel" right in GT4.

seismologist said:
The areas where GT4 beats everything

art direction
60fps
1080i

I beg to differ. If we are including PC's it beats very little in that area. The top one I'll give you though, GT4 clearly beats anything available in this or last generation in art direction.

Some GT4 screenshots that are more representative of gameplay:

561066_20050222_screen108.jpg

561066_20050222_screen040.jpg

561066_20050222_screen056.jpg

561066_20050222_screen091.jpg

Just to offset the rather bizarre choice of screenshots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed these screens are more representative

I d go for GT4 over Forza anytime

My rate goes like this.

PGR3-->GT4 ------->Forza

GT4 for me, its all in the lighting. Yes, I will even go to say that the colors/lighting looks better in GT4 than ANY other car racing game out. You can have 87894798749874 billion polies, it will sure look damn nice, but if the lighting is off it wont look photorealistic or even close. I cant even begin to imagine what Polyphony will do with ps3 hardware.

Bad_Boy said:
GT4 for me, its all in the lighting. Yes, I will even go to say that the colors/lighting looks better in GT4 than ANY other car racing game out. You can have 87894798749874 billion polies, it will sure look damn nice, but if the lighting is off it wont look photorealistic or even close. I cant even begin to imagine what Polyphony will do with ps3 hardware.

I always seem to agree with you, but seriously do you really think GT4 looks better than PGR3?

I mean seriously?:???:

Cobra101 said:
I think GT4 looks better in the replay and the replay mode is better implemented.

Forza is very nice looking.

It should be. PS2 is WAY technically inferior hardware.

At least thats what the XBots say.

If you look at it that way, either GT4 is a marvel or Forza is pretty sad.

I don't mean to sound bossy, but can you please not use that word or any of its synonyms? These really aren't the boards for that. I just find it really annoying and pointless, especially when most of the people who use the word are the Sony version of the x**t. Feel free to ignore this, I just wanted to ask for this favour.

Anyway, back on topic, I find it hard to say one racing game looks better over the other when GT4 and Forza both offered something better than the other. I liked GT4's car models more, but I liked Forza's road textures and backgrounds more. There was something about GT4 that made it look more realistic, I can't place my finger on it, so I'm just going to say it was the lighting. I agree that GT4 is a marvel, but Forza is far from sad (especially when it comes to gameplay).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back