Do you really need SP2?

mkillio

Regular
I just got done reinstalling windows and I was wondering if I really need to install SP2. I have a router so I don't really need the firewall and I got all of the security updates. Is there any reason I should get it? Microsoft says it runs games better because it comes with DirextX9 but I got that without getting SP2 anyways.

I'm running 2003 without its SP1 which is kind of equivalent to XP SP1.
being behind a router and not using IE already improve much the security. so, no huge problem staying with SP1.
SP2 is a few percent slower and had the nagging shield icon in the tray bar which you have to disable.

some retarded stuff will not install unless you have SP2. (windows media player 10 I think). not huge problem.
in the end, SP1 or SP2 makes minor differences.

I install it on every system, there's really no reason not to. The "nags" are very easy to disable in about 10 minutes. It doesnt hurt performance in anyway except for a few %'s here or there, so that's not an issue there.

Some programs wont install without it and so there's no reason to avoid it.

I've been running SP1 for a year now without any AV or firewall and I haven't gotten one virus or spyware of any kind, of course I'm using Opera and behind a router so that helps.

Honestly, you don't even need SP1; there are drivers and hacks to enable USB2 and large partitions without having to install it and as long as you aren't using IE (or have most of it disabled) it's not a big problem. XP works better without SP1 and SP2, which break things and cause slowdown. WMP10 works fine on standard XP, there are only a couple applications that won't install on non SP2 systems and those are all MS programs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't use it without SP1 as I think some bugs were fixed, and some stuff might require SP1 as well.
early XP without SP sucked for what I remember. had a terrible right-click bug where my properties appeared 30 seconds later.
I presume mkillio has a windows CD with SP1 integrated ;)

Skrying said:
Some programs wont install without it and so there's no reason to avoid it.

Sure there is: There are some programs that won't run _with_ SP2 installed. Especially problematic if these programs are drivers - in this case it can get really nasty.

I found out from personal experience that XP with all MS updates makes using IE quite safe.....well not safe as using it with Firefox or Opera....but safe....

For me, there's no reason NOT to install SP2. Besides, I create slipstreamed images with the latest updates integrated before I reinstall. It's very practical.

There is absolutely NO reason for a consumer level user not to install SP2, and anyone who advocates not installing SP2 is doing a disservace to anyone listening to them.

There may be very narrow business needs that have special applications that can't handle SP2 for some reason... but in any other case there is absolutely no legitimate justification for not installing it.

Ichneumon said:
There is absolutely NO reason for a consumer level user not to install SP2, and anyone who advocates not installing SP2 is doing a disservace to anyone listening to them.

There may be very narrow business needs that have special applications that can't handle SP2 for some reason... but in any other case there is absolutely no legitimate justification for not installing it.
*whining* but I get 50 more 3dmarks with sp1 and my games run .2 fps faster*

Whatever. Either is fine. The problem isn't with the service pack or the lack thereof, but with having a router and not using IE. That's all.

I only help people with their computers at home if they promise to use firefox or opera as their single browser. And it's really easy to see who does and who doesn't: I only have to go back to the latter. And I ask them money for it.

:)

Back