(PS3) High Resolution photos from GDC

:oops:
I leave for a few hours and come back to see people still arguing about Motorstorm! It's simply not that impressive looking under any standard and it doesn't even look as though it's using the same assets as the trailer shown at the last E3. Weren't there any other PS3 games shown at GDC?

R&C looks amazing, does anyone know when that's due to come out?

As far as motorstorm, it looks great taken on it's own merits. Compared to the E3 demo, it pales in comparison. Where's the photorealistic mountains in the background?

car3wt1.jpg

Yes/No?
Maybe the off-screen pics really aren't doing it justice, but i guess the same could be said for the pic to the right which is just a vid capture...
And i also dont see how anybody cant see that the wheels are actually sunken into the trails...i dont see "PERFECT" circles on the front left wheel or the back right wheel, they are both cut off...

Last edited by a moderator:
mistan said:
car3wt1.jpg

Yes/No?
Maybe the off-screen pics really aren't doing it justice, but i guess the same could be said for the pic to the right which is just a vid capture...
And i also dont see how anybody cant see that the wheels are actually sunken into the trails...i dont see "PERFECT" circles on the front left wheel or the back right wheel, they are both cut off...

Thats a great comparison. The shot on the Left is the GDC Demo, the shot on the Right is the E3 CG video (just for clarification). I've said it before but what made the E3 Motorstorm so amazing wasn't just the car models but the Dynamic Camera gave it a Cinematic feel.

Its going to be interesting to see how the final product looks (possibly in November)

Things that possibly need to be implimented...

• We haven't seen how the draw distance actually looks, so we need to see that

The particles that get kicked up by the vehicles seems to be just sprites. Goes without saying, it didn't look to good. It could have been a placeholder though, until they impliment a better particle system for the kicked up debri.

The Mud system (or sand, dirt etc) seems to be turning out exactly like they intended it to. It seems like this will get more refined while other thing will get worked on (talking about the cars leaving trails in the ground)

How will the car damage models look like? In the E3 video they would literally break into pieces. Hopefully this makes it into the final game.

As far as those things, Evolution has some time to go with development with this game. I'm still very hyped for this game. Also, Titiano (I believe) has stated that people who viewed the Video, at the end, saw 20? Vehicles in the distance driving around kicking up mud (If i'm wrong with that, please correct me :) ).

BlueTsunami said:
Thats a great comparison. The shot on the Left is the GDC Demo, the shot on the Right is the E3 CG video (just for clarification). I've said it before but what made the E3 Motorstorm so amazing wasn't just the car models but the Dynamic Camera gave it a Cinematic feel.

Its going to be interesting to see how the final product looks (possibly in November)
Still, there's no motion blur or AA in the GDC shot.

nintenho said:
Still, there's no motion blur or AA in the GDC shot.

How can your tell theres no AA? and in my post the picture is of a car thats not moving (so there would be no point to motion blur).

Heres the same comparision shots but with larger pictures....(I flipped the E3 pic)

BlueTsunami said:
How can your tell theres no AA? and in my post the picture is of a car thats not moving (so there would be no point to motion blur).

Heres the same comparision shots but with larger pictures....(I flipped the E3 pic)

If you look at the Motorstorm picture in the first post in the thread, it definitely looks like there is no AA. Also, doesn't the PS3 have a problem with having AA and HDR at the same time?

nintenho said:
If you look at the Motorstorm picture in the first post in the thread, it definitely looks like there is no AA. Also, doesn't the PS3 have a problem with having AA and HDR at the same time?

it depends on the format that is used

The particles that get kicked up by the vehicles seems to be just sprites. Goes without saying, it didn't look to good. It could have been a placeholder though, until they impliment a better particle system for the kicked up debri.

the particle system in the demo video were physically controlled and was able to stick to the cars, that would be the biggest disappointment to me is if they didn't have all the mud slinging in the final game.

I think this is one of those game that has a lot to live up to because it was claimed to be realtime, even after killzone was confirmed cg, and now it has a big drop in quality, but I don't think it is as bad as some make it out to be

nintenho said:

I don't know, as blurry as the pic is it doesn't look like theres absolutely no AA. About the AA and HDR, theres ways around it to get the same effect which is already being done in certain games.

Heres another comparison of the 3 pics we've got of a similar vehicle in Motorstorm...

pegisys said:
ithe particle system in the demo video were physically controlled and was able to stick to the cars, that would be the biggest disappointment to me is if they didn't have all the mud slinging in the final gamee

Yep, I heard about the mud sticking to the surface of the vehicles. The sprites though are when the particles are airborn. People have said that it didn't look particularly good. The mud sticking to the other cars have been said to look cool though.

BlueTsunami said:
I don't know, as blurry as the pic is it doesn't look like theres absolutely no AA. About the AA and HDR, theres ways around it to get the same effect which is already being done in certain games.
Let's say you port Oblivion from 360 to PS3, would it make a big difference in the way the HDR looks? Not trying to troll.

nintenho said:
Let's say you port Oblivion from 360 to PS3, would it make a big difference in the way the HDR looks? Not trying to troll.

I'm not a developer but Bethesda would probably have to rethink how they impliment HDR and AA on the PS3 instead of a straight port, though, that would probably wouldn't be the most challenging aspect of porting it over.

BlueTsunami said:
I'm not a developer but Bethesda would probably have to rethink how they impliment HDR and AA on the PS3 instead of a straight port, though, that would probably wouldn't be the most challenging aspect of porting it over.
Meh...it can't look that different I guess.

The top right one has the best quality, but it also looks the worst because of the lack of artificial blur and color saturation that gives the other image a better look.

nintenho said:

of course there will be some differences, those can be performance difference when hdr fp + SSAA are used (I don't think that rsx can handle this, with a 128 bit bus to framebuffer)
or they can use integers instead of floating point, moving from a RGB space to calc hdr + MSAA, but this is not good as hdr fp (take a look at HL2, compare his hdr to the one in far cry or oblivion and you get the difference between the two hdr) and wastes a lot of shader processing time because the shaders have to do conversion for and from the RGB space for each transparent texture applied

the second way is the best of the two, but it's not as good as a true hdr fp + msaa

Griffith said:
of course there will be some differences, those can be performance difference when hdr fp + SSAA are used (I don't think that rsx can handle this, with a 128 bit bus to framebuffer)
or they can use integers instead of floating point, moving from a RGB space to calc hdr + MSAA, but this is not good as hdr fp (take a look at HL2, compare his hdr to the one in far cry or oblivion and you get the difference between the two hdr) and wastes a lot of shader processing time because the shaders have to do conversion for and from the RGB space for each transparent texture applied

the second way is the best of the two, but it's not as good as a true hdr fp + msaa
Ah, I see.

Ben-Nice said:
<QUOTEd>
Rallisport Challenge 2 definitely looks better, especially in the car.
<QUOTEd>

:LOL: Thanks..I needed a good laugh.

why you laught?
I don't know how will look the final game, but at this stage RC2 looks better, I think that this is confimed by all of those which have seen RC2 in motion

so we have to see motostorm in motion, but from this pics, it looks to me a bit worse, surely not better

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/2104/rsc2mts3kp.jpg

[Moderated : FOLLOW IMAGE RULES ! ]

edited to apologize for the image dimension, my fault.

Griffith said:

I think both Far Cry and Oblivion are really bad case examples of HDR. In Far Cry it was just tacked on as an after thought and only looks good in some areas. In Oblivion the current majoirty consensus is that it doesn't look much better than their bloom effect and not worth the FPS hit.

Back