Gears of War demo @ GDC: "the graphics were simply mind-blowing".

So by your logic, come E3, all game discussions should be held here (except PS3 games, of course) instead of in the Console Games forum, because there will be threads about hardware presented at E3 in the Console Talk and Console Technology forums?

Bohdy said:
Crysis will be playable at E3 too. Ruh-roh xbots :rolleyes:

Ok, to be serious, I agree with rabbidrabbit. Keep the unfounded claims away from B3D.

Agreed, its mindblowing even moreso than GOW imo. But it's EA Bohdy, & that means cross-platform.

Shifty Geezer said:
If Project Offset is playable at E3, I expect that to take the crown, based on what we've seen so far.

how can it be playable at e3?
as I know, it's at tech-demo stage

Because over time, things get more developed? Project Offset is a game in the making. Sooner or later it'll be playable and won't remain a demo forever. The tech demo from last year had the graphics pinned, soa year later they should have added some gameplay elements. Doesn't need to be a playable part of the whole game either, but just a region of interactive elements, few monsters and there you go.

Shifty Geezer said:
Because over time, things get more developed? Project Offset is a game in the making. Sooner or later it'll be playable and won't remain a demo forever. The tech demo from last year had the graphics pinned, soa year later they should have added some gameplay elements. Doesn't need to be a playable part of the whole game either, but just a region of interactive elements, few monsters and there you go.

no the producers/makers in a vid interview states that a game won'' be ready until 2 years from now

Don't count MGS 4 out...nothing has compared to the overall look and feel of this game yet (both art direction and technology-wise). Not even the Crysis video.

Edit: Well, on second inspection, it's hard not to say the Crysis video looks ridiculously good, if not different...it's a toss up in my mind at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
ROG27 said:
Don't count MGS 4 out...nothing has compared to the overall look and feel of this game yet (both art direction and technology-wise). Not even the Crysis video.

Yeah the animations and the caracters where the most impressive part of the demo but the game also had some very low res texture on the backround, but i think this will be fixed in the final version.

wow, this thread derailed pretty quick.

As said the earlier showings were of the build running on a single core. Will be interesting to see what it looks like on an optimised build!

1up has a short article on the Gears of War demo, which they mention is very similar to the demo they've shown before.

Towards the end of this new version of the demo, we got a glimpse at one of the enemy types in the game -- while it doesn't have a name just yet, this type is very similar to the grunt in Halo due to the fact that it is very short, looks like a half animal/half alien, and features a blue and yellow color scheme. We still don't know a lot about the various enemies players will come across in the game, but it's clear from checking out these little guys that not everyone you come across will be a big hulking monster like those we've seen in previous demonstrations.

Most of the other details we noticed in this new demo are related to the game's presentation. Apart from a slightly nicer framerate than we've seen in the past, the demo showcased some of the more minor details like steam escaping from the characters' guns after they fire them and music starting up in appropriately rocking fashion when enemies show up for battle.

Additionally, the characters can now 'snap' quickly into walls when they get close to them. One of Gears of War's key features is how it allows players to use cover, and Epic has frequently said that this would be done in a particularly user-friendly setup by allowing a player to hide behind a wall just by pushing the joystick forward so the character can move up next to it. When we tried this in an earlier version of the game we were able to play, however, it felt a bit annoying to have to keep pushing the analog stick towards the wall before it actually 'clicked' and worked properly, so it's nice to see this mechanic working in a quick and snappy animation that should make the game control better.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3148968&did=1

Out of topic
I interesting to see that 1up is picky.
It's give them credibility for both gow and gdc ps3 conference (i'm still confuse by divergent report coming from 1 up and to other site).
what is reputation of this site, if good i'll bookmark i prefer read stuff from few good sites than going from rumors to rumors via bias ;)
Out of topic

Back