Gears of War demo @ GDC: "the graphics were simply mind-blowing".

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
It's a short write up, but here are the first couple of paragraphs. Read more by clicking on the link.

Epic Games held a press briefing today at its exposuite in the GDC. There, they proceeded to show off the Unreal 3 engine and specifically, how it has been used to create their next-generation games for the new consoles. Shane Caudle, was the point man for the presentation, began the presentation with a playable demo of Gears of War.

The level opened up with a in-game cinematic of a futuristic vehicle driving through a forested area during a storm. Dialogue seemed to indicate a situation at a nearby factory that the vehicle was heading to check on. After the cinematic ended, the playable character was out of his vehicle and walking around the level. the graphics were simply mind-blowing with normal mapped models everywhere and incredible lighting and shadows.

http://360.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=6981

Gears of War poised to dominate all other E3 games?

Griffith said:
at this stage it shows the bset realtime playable graphics ever

nobody knows how much it is improved in the GDC playable show
need media :D

come on now, you can't talk like that around here! ;)

heavenlyglory said:
Sounds like the X05 presentation to me..

X05/TGS was running on one thread (They had the same demo at Zero Hour). Question is was this the same level, but using the updated build running on all 6 threads?

I don't care so much about Gear's Of War's graphics as far as detail, it's already enough.
I want to see if the framerate and the animation have improved conciderably.

Cobra101 said:
Well, any XBox 360 game anyway. ;)
It will dominate any PLAYABLE game at E3.Of course target movies, of games that won't be released until the end of 2007 at the ealiest, might look better but GoW will crush every other PLAYABLE game and not just 360 games.

You guys are so sure it's funny.
Do you know for certain what games will be displayed at E3?
I don't think so.
Writing "will dominate", "will crush" etc.. sounds a bit silly considering you have nothing to compare to other than your biased assumptions.

It will look good, but there will be games that look as good or better if you ask some other person.

rabidrabbit said:
I don't think so.
Writing "will dominate", "will crush" etc.. sounds a bit silly considering you have nothing to compare to other than your biased assumptions.

It will look good, but there will be games that look as good or better if you ask some other person.

No No... It will... because getting excited over anything 360 related is ok.

Kabbage said:
No No... It will... because getting excited over anything 360 related is ok.
Yeah,this forum is ...pro-xbox360......

And it will be the best looking PLAYBLE console game at this year's E3.

rabidrabbit said:
I don't think so.

Better to be sure about a game that has been presented in playable form from the beginning than to drool over CGI movies.

fulcizombie said:
Yeah,this forum is ...pro-xbox360......

And it will be the best looking PLAYBLE console game at this year's E3.

Of course it is... and of course it will be...Only a "sith" deals in absolutes :|

AbbA said:
No, wait to see LAIR.... ;)

apart a tech demo, what have seen of lair?
as I know not even a bit of gameplay was showed, never, so we don't even know what kind of gameplay it will have

I believe too that GoW will be far better everything playable at E3, 360, ps3, pc games included

Crysis will be playable at E3 too. Ruh-roh xbots :rolleyes:

Ok, to be serious, I agree with rabbidrabbit. Keep the unfounded claims away from B3D.

Griffith said:
apart a tech demo, what have seen of lair?
as I know not even a bit of gameplay was showed, never, so we don't even know what kind of gameplay it will have

I believe too that GoW will be far better everything playable at E3, 360, ps3, pc games included

We need to start qualifying - are you talking about best game, as in gameplay, or best graphics?

And yeah, I think Crysis has the best claim so far, perhaps, to frontrunner for best "playable graphics" at E3. Although we know very little of what's coming generally..

Titanio said:
We need to start qualifying - are you talking about best game, as in gameplay, or best graphics?

And yeah, I think Crysis has the best claim so far, perhaps, to frontrunner for best "playable graphics" at E3. Although we know very little of what's coming generally..

we re talking about the graphics.

I've seen the video and I really think that crysis is a beast, it will be a great war between this and gow, great time for gamers and 360 owners, there's only a mindblowing game that can be out without warning and that can be showed at E3, HALO3

so we have to wait and see, I don't see other possible contenders apart this 3 titles, I've seen the video of unreal2007 demo on ps3 devkit (the guy that play in a room), and this can't touch even perfect dark 0 at this stage, so my waited best graphics game are GoW and Crysis and will see for Halo3

Edited to correct som typos

Last edited by a moderator:
Back