Dell 2407WFP Details Leaked

I know I originally thought it was a 6 bit panel, but it turns out that dell's "Faroudja image processing" was the banding culprit. You can test this because only in desktop mode (with the new revisions) is the Faroudja processing disabled, put the 2407 in any other mode (which has the Faroudja processing on) and the color banding returns.

what's the dead/stuck pixel rate on these displays? i hear each mfg has different standard for what's acceptable to ship. and that every LCD monitor has some dead pixels right out of the box. and some companies won't allow you to get a replacement display. is dell or samsung one of those companies?

Last edited by a moderator:
what's the dead/stuck pixel rate on these displays? i hear each mfg has different standard for what's acceptable to ship. and that every LCD monitor has some dead pixels right out of the box. and some companies won't allow you to get a replacement display. is dell or samsung one of those companies?

Well you heard wrong, b/c not every LCD monitor has dead pixels. That is FUD

Either you read wrong or they wrote wrong, b/c a stuck pixel isn't guaranteed. The mere fact that I've seen one LCD without a single stuck or dead pixel disproves that statement. :)

As to how noticable, it depends on 1) color, 2) location, and 3) your sensitivity to such defects. So, it's hard to say, easier for you to judge in person. If you're worried, surely there are stores (such as Costco and maybe Circuit City) with return policies good enough to remove it from the equation.

BeHardware did a series of articles on various manufacturer's stuck/dead pixel policies, if you're interested.

mere fact that I've seen one LCD

lol! only one? do most LCDs have at least some?

another question. is it a big operation to get LCD widescreen up and running problem free for most games? will it do both 4:3 and widescreen? like for older games.

I could say I haven't seen more than 5 LCDs with dead pixels working as a network admin over the last 10 years. And thats a lot of LCDs. They are pretty rare, though most LCDs i've seen in my work environment haven't really been in the cheap end of the scale.

You sure about that?

Positive. Why else would it only happen in certain modes? Trustedreview used revision A00; to their defense they had no idea about dell's special image processing.

My 2407 has no dead/stuck pixels that I have been able to detect.
Never seen any on the cheap nasty little 15" ones at work.
But I think my friends Dell laptop might have a couple.

anyone out there have any dead/stuck pixels? how noticeable is it?

For what it's worth...

My Dell 2405 has -0- dead pixels and -0- stuck pixels.
My Planar PL190M has -0- dead pixels and -0- stuck pixels.
Sister's Dell FP 18" has -0- dead pixels and -0- stuck pixels.

The 5 Dell 2001 LCDs I've used at work have -0- dead pixels and -0- stuck pixels.

lol! only one? do most LCDs have at least some?
Well, one is enough to disprove that "all" theory, isn't it? :) I've seen a bunch, and haven't noticed a problem pixel yet. I don't even think I've seen problem pixels in the display LCDs in stores like CompUSA and BestBuy, either, but I don't pay that much attention there. I'm comfortable suggesting you don't have to buy an LCD expecting a problem pixel, but consider that even having one or two may not bother you--as much as, say, imperfect geometry, high power draw and heat output, etc. ;) But it won't hurt to buy informed, so read up on the manufacturers' and stores' policies if it's a hang-up (and it's a reasonable one, don't get me wrong).

another question. is it a big operation to get LCD widescreen up and running problem free for most games? will it do both 4:3 and widescreen? like for older games.
Dunno, personally. These guys might.

Another question. is it a big operation to get LCD widescreen up and running problem free for most games? will it do both 4:3 and widescreen? like for older games.

Yes it does. There are 3 modes for when you are not running at the optimal res of 1920x1200:

1:1 - No pixel doubling
4:3 - Fill but keep aspect ratio
Fill - Fill the whole screen

thanks.

went to that widescreen link. very informative for a noob.

TRIPLE HEAD! what is that? 3 screens joined? (leaving out the border around each in the screenshot)

You can get video cards with 3 outputs (Matrox Parhelia?) to connect to something like this.

You can get video cards with 3 outputs (Matrox Parhelia?) to connect to something like this.

i would LOVE that without the screen borders. at least on the sides. i think i remember seeing 1 model like that in a magazine a while back.

im looking for a price at that site. price doesn't seem to awful.

what's the drawbacks? no games work at that level?

Sigh the BenQ doesn't have 1:1 mapping mode. Great, this monitor was perfect, now it's useless for anything outside its native resoulition (no love for PS3, Xbox360, bluray or hd-dvd players or even ATi users at 4:3/16:9 resolutions).

I guess I'll go back to waiting on the 245T, and maybe it will push the price of the 244T down.

Sigh the BenQ doesn't have 1:1 mapping mode. Great, this monitor was perfect, now it's useless for anything outside its native resoulition (no love for PS3, Xbox360, bluray or hd-dvd players or even ATi users at 4:3/16:9 resolutions).

I guess I'll go back to waiting on the 245T, and maybe it will push the price of the 244T down.

Where'd you find that?

Where'd you find that?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/benq_fp241w.htm

Lack of 1:1 Pixel Mapping: The absence of this feature from the FP241W is strange, and might well be an issue to potential buyers. Without it, the image is always stretched and scaled to fill the screen rather than offering options to maintain the aspect ratio or map the pixels 1:1 via the hardware itself. It has been confirmed in the FP241W manual that this option is not available, and also by BenQ support. There may still be hope if you need to use such options, as some software (including NVIDIA display drivers) can achieve this instead.

Back