Dell 2407WFP Details Leaked

JustPassingBy said:
I wish there was HDCP 1080P material that we could test this with so I could know for sure. :cry:

Also can you test the input lag for me on 244T when you get it, I heard it is a little shaky.
You can get pleanty of 1080P content from microsoft and apple.

arrrse said:
That does make sense & I conceed, though the review originally posted did not state this as its explanation for use of '6-bit'.

Not that I intend to actually use HDCP but the decision of Dell to use components that can only process an HDCP signal at 720p is mindboggling.
I mean, why would you bother with HDCP at all on a 1920*1200 monitor if you aren't going to actually support it at 1080i at least?

Checkbox feature, cost, and speed. In the end it's just business. Same reason ATI and Nvidia say they support HDCP in their x1900 and 7900 series of cards when apparently they really don't.

Natoma said:
Indeed. It uses a 6bit + 2bit FRC in order to achieve the 4ms response time. That's why the banding and the color saturation appear inferior to the 2405 Dell model as well as the 244T Samsung model.

It's also done to shave costs.

The Dell 2407WFP solution is somewhat akin to 3dfx's 22-bit-output-but-rendering-internally-at-32-bit shenanigans from years back. Sacrifice color accuracy and use a dither to approximate image quality in order to gain speed.

However if you're a stickler for image quality and color accuracy, the 2407WFP apparently isn't for you.

As for CNET, pfft. I haven't trusted a review from CNET in years. They're rather amateur and have been since their major tech heads left after the net bubble burst.

I rank them no higher than SharkyExtreme these days. ;)

very interesting, when I looked at the screen from like half inch away I thought I almost saw some dither dots on the 2407 on gradients. THis also likely explains why gradients are often worse in one direction that the other, since with the system you lit above and the crystal orientation it kinda makes sense.

anyway, yeah, that CNET review is full of it about the poor DVD playback. What are they even saying when they say DVD playback on this monitor demonstrates that it introduces noise?? If it did that, then your desktop would also be a laughable mess of noise. did they view DVD frome external player hooked up through Svideo??

believe me I tried 2407 and 244t side by side and 244t is clearly better at DVD playback through DVI, nevermind graphic design stuff where it totally destroys it. you can even turn brightness way down and still retain full shadow detail (which CNET reviewer apparently considers to be noise, or perhaps it's nice response time didn't blur away fine details and this revelation was considered to be noise by the reviewer. come on, don't downgrade a monitor for revealing whatever little specs are actually in the original signal!) unlike with the 2407. 244t has simply superb gamma control and default profile, starts at bright white and perfectly fades to pitch black only just at very last line, with no banding.

2407 also suffers from this weird affect where a darker image like mouse shadow moving across a bright gray window leaves this few pixel wide overbright sort of glow (again only through DVI connection, fine through VGA).

After doing some more searching, it appears that the 245t is not going to be any different than the 244t save for the ability to change the height of the monitor. Everything else is going to remain the same apparently.

After doing some more searching, it appears that the 245t is not going to be any different than the 244t save for the ability to change the height of the monitor. Everything else is going to remain the same apparently.

Yeah but the 2047 has a new revision (A03) which fixes all the banding issues. And at a much lower price, it's starting to look pretty competitive to the 244T/245T. Though I am going to wait to see how the BenQ fairs, Trustedreview gave it a perfect 10 out of 10.

Yeah but the 2047 has a new revision (A03) which fixes all the banding issues. And at a much lower price, it's starting to look pretty competitive to the 244T/245T. Though I am going to wait to see how the BenQ fairs, Trustedreview gave it a perfect 10 out of 10.

When is the new revision out?

I'll need to see a review of the A03 revision before deciding on the dell. A02 was savaged pretty heavily by trusted review in comparison to the 244t, with respect to image quality and color clarity. If all of those issues were resolved with the A03 revision then it'll become interesting to me. :)

one thing ive found out when evaluating lcd monitors
look at the specs from the monitor manufactuer
then look at the specs that the company who make the lcd screen put out
ive found out that a lot of monitor makers lie about how many colours they can produce
ive seen 6bit panels quoted as 16.8million colours

Well I found some differences between the LCDs.

1) The Samsung 244t's height can't be changed. The BenQ can.

2) The Samsung has a firewire port and two USB ports. The BenQ has two USB ports.

3) The Samsung doesn't have HDMI port. The BenQ does.

4) The Samsung on/off rate is 24ms I believe. BenQ is 16ms.

I think the BenQ LCD is the better monitor.

one thing ive found out when evaluating lcd monitors
look at the specs from the monitor manufactuer
then look at the specs that the company who make the lcd screen put out
ive found out that a lot of monitor makers lie about how many colours they can produce
ive seen 6bit panels quoted as 16.8million colours

Yea, Dell tried that with the 2407WFP, i.e. quoting 16.7 million colours when they only have a 6-bit panel. :rolleyes:

Samsung and BenQ have been honest however. BenQ more honest though, in that they quote their on/off rate as well.

It's a shame that BenQ doesn't come with a built-in memory card reader like the Dell does. Always struck me as quite a useful feature.

Yea, Dell tried that with the 2407WFP, i.e. quoting 16.7 million colours when they only have a 6-bit panel. :rolleyes:

Samsung and BenQ have been honest however. BenQ more honest though, in that they quote their on/off rate as well.

I thought that was caused by a bug and fixed via firmware :???:

Back