Dell 2407WFP Details Leaked

I wants one!
Was actually looking seriously at the Acer AL2416W one using the same panel last week but locally we can only get the W (analogue input only) rather than the AL2416WD with DVI.
Was told this was coming out soon though & now specs to match.

Would give me a good excuse to finally get round to that major PC upgrade I've been putting off too. (been waiting on an affordable 2.6ghz dual core A64 but they just don't seem to be coming any closer :( )

Via this thread apparently the specs are to be found here

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh! The 2407 is still not announced but Dell NZ have been cranking down the prices on the 05 & its getting mighty attractively cheap...

I got my 2407WFP yesterday, and it is very nice. Moving up from a 2005FPW, it's good to have a uniform backlight for once. It's an A01 revision, and there is some banding in desktop mode (slightly worse than my 2005), but in Gaming or Theatre mode, it becomes very visible (on non-natural images).

Hmm, yeah I got one too. A00
Banding on DVI was yucky (skyboxes in games show it well eg Rome:Total War which I play a lot of), on VGA the banding is much reduced & certainly compares favourably with other LCDs I've seen.

A01/02 have a firmware fix that turns off the Faroudja visual processing that causes the DVI banding on the Desktop mode but they need to do a panel swap to do it, mine is hopefully on the way soon.
Not clear what the difference between A01 & A02 is though.

Firmware fix also applies to 2007wfp.

Dell 2407WFP for under $700

I just bought a 2407WFP today online from Dell Japan because currently it is GOD DAMN CHEAP!

The current special campaign price is 79,000yen $693.134 USD!!! Free shipping too.

The normal price is 157,500yen ($1,381.88 USD)

From Dell USA it is still listed at $1,349

For just under $700 I could not pass it up. I have an inkling that they might be trying to dump all the A00 and A01 models off. But for just $700, I don't care if there is a little banding.

I'll post an update once it arrives. Anyone living in Japan might want to take advantage of this.

clipboard029tc.jpg

It has arrived!!! Certainly the best $700 I have ever spent on HW! Going from a 19" to a 24" is just wow.

2407fwp5dk.jpg

So far everything looks beautiful.

Problem for me is, if I was to upgrade my poor gfx card would never cope with going from 1280*1024 rez to 1920 or whatever * 1200... It'd roll over and die. I'd have to upgrade that too, and then I'd have to upgrade everything else too, because my PC can't support a high-end card. It'd be uber expensive... :(

Yeh, my 9800np has been coping surprisingly well but its simply not got the grunt to handle most games at full res.

Lower resolutions are actually coming out pretty well compared to my earlier experience with LCDs.

The big upgrade is still on hold pending what happens with Conroe/A64 x2 pricing/performance when Conroe is released.
Of course, then R600 & K8L will be calling to me :???:

IMO any graphical downsides of the LCDs are utterly meaningless to me in comparison with the hugely superior immersion you get with the screen area. OMG it's just something else and I encourage everyone to strongly consider these huge screens.

I've been running a 2405FPW for about 9 months now and I have just been happy since day one. Yeah there's banding, and the backlight is bad for black, but OMG is it something else to play games with this. Games just feel more tangible somehow. It's like Halo on the 40" TV vs. Halo PC. Halo may not be the best shooter, but the huge TV makes up for it somehow.

swaaye said:
IMO any graphical downsides of the LCDs are utterly meaningless to me in comparison with the hugely superior immersion you get with the screen area. OMG it's just something else and I encourage everyone to strongly consider these huge screens.

I've been running a 2405FPW for about 9 months now and I have just been happy since day one. Yeah there's banding, and the backlight is bad for black, but OMG is it something else to play games with this. Games just feel more tangible somehow. It's like Halo on the 40" TV vs. Halo PC. Halo may not be the best shooter, but the huge TV makes up for it somehow.
I played halo 2 on with a projector shooting on the wall and the huge jaggies bugged the shit out of me.
640x480 interlaced just is lame, the jaggies are so freaking noticeable I can't stand it.
huge ugly jaggies.. ya that's wonderfull :rolleyes:
You'd have a much better argument with xbox360 since games run at 720P.
You can get big crts.. you do realize that don't you?

Guden Oden said:
Problem for me is, if I was to upgrade my poor gfx card would never cope with going from 1280*1024 rez to 1920 or whatever * 1200...
I'm driving my 2407 with a Radeon 9200 w/ 32mb RAM in a Mac mini. :'(
(which in itself answer the question how games run on that — there aren't any ;)).

radeonic2 said:
I played halo 2 on with a projector shooting on the wall and the huge jaggies bugged the shit out of me.
640x480 interlaced just is lame, the jaggies are so freaking noticeable I can't stand it.
huge ugly jaggies.. ya that's wonderfull :rolleyes:
I don't see where he mentioned anything about aliasing or running stuff at 640x480; you'll get that no matter what kind of display you use. No, we're talking 1920x1200 on a freakishly large and flat 24" screen.

I recently fooled around with Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft in widescreen by hooking up my old PC (P4 1.7 + GF3) to my Sony LCD TV via DVI, and the change in aspect from standard 4:3 was quite a difference! The TV is 1280*768 native, so the rez isn't as high as the Dell widescreen monitors, but man, you can see the difference immediately just from the widescreen format!

I've gamed with my 360 on that TV, but those games are unique to the 360. HL2 and WoW I've played for a million years each in 4:3 aspect, and seeing them in widescreen instead makes a giant impact.

Awesome.

ANova said:
I don't see where he mentioned anything about aliasing or running stuff at 640x480; you'll get that no matter what kind of display you use. No, we're talking 1920x1200 on a freakishly large and flat 24" screen.
Halo 1 and 2 runs can run at 480P highest possible right?
I'm assuming he's talking about xbox version, if it's halo 1 it can be on pc, but halo 2 is only xbox.
read the post I was quoting-
It's like Halo on the 40" TV vs. Halo PC. Halo may not be the best shooter, but the huge TV makes up for it somehow.

The Samsung SyncMaster 244T remains the only 24" LCD with sub 12ms gray-to-gray using an 8bit panel.
The obvious problem with this statement being that the 2407 actually uses the same panel as the 244T.

Back