360 To Do Worse Than Xbox This Round?

Wow theyve been able to predict the results of this console war without a price for the PS3 or the Revolution! These guys are good!

Nicked said:
If MS lose marketshare they aren't going to make a profit. Well, only if the overall market increases 2-300% ;)

Have to disagree here, if MS becomes profitable on the hardware (which is their intention within 2 years from launch), they can absolutely be profitable with less market share.

The way I see it, if theyre profitable on the hardware, profitable on the software, profitable on the accessories, profitable on the marketplace, and break even on the XBL service...

I understand there are marketing, R&D budgets, etc., but if they meet their goal of profitability on the hardware then i think theyre in good shape for getting in the black this gen.

Edge said:
In all fairness to the analysts, Xbox had huge technological advantage over the PS2, and GCN, but this generation, MS has lost that technological advantage to Sony, the company which already has the most mindshare. Plus Microsoft's HUGE loss of Japan, which will result in Sony's PS3 getting the majority of Japanese developer support, and when looking at the tons of Japanese games that are released for the PS2, make a huge difference. Also Microsoft's harddisk and Live! advantage are being negated with similar options on the PS3 this generation. Blu-ray has added more functionality to PS3, and a coolness factor, missing from the 360. All these things will compound themselves against MS.

In my humble opinion anyway, but the market will grow, and MS may see itself selling 30 million Xbox 360's which is not too bad. The 360 is a great machine, but Sony has so many greater positives going for it.

What the Xbox did not have in the last generation was the 1 year lead. Obviously, technological superiority didn't help it that much in terms of dominating the marketplace. But I think in this case, these delays will only serve to hurt Sony.

Will it be enough to give MS the lead? I don't think so. But if MS beast Sony to market again in the next generation, I believe MS will take it.

Add in the cost differential between the two systems in terms of how much they will cost from a build standpoint, and how much they will cost to the end consumer, as well as the quality and quantity of launch titles, MS certainly has things in their corner this go-round.

Nintendo's big thing will be backward compatibility with their entire library stretching back to the NES days. I think a lot of people who wouldn't normally get a Rev would get it for that purpose alone.

In the end, we'll see how things go.

The only place where I can actually see Microsoft doing worse than Xbox, would be Japan. Already down to about 1200 units/week, it's pretty much a given it will be last once again in Japan.

MS will do better with Xbox 360 than it did with the original Xbox. After talking to a few people around me and discussing the Xbox 360 and PS3 they seem to favor the Xbox 360 for various reasons. They mention the price of PS3, which I know little about. They also mention the Live service and how their friend has it and how great it is.

No mention of the Revolution from them. Other people say it should be a nice second console that is perfect for the rumored (or official?) price of $250 or so. The price point is definitely a good one and that's fine by me. Since it has backawards compatibility I guess I'm up for it especially if it plays all the Gamecube games I missed out on.

As long as the Xbox 360 turns a profit for MS then I think they will be here to stay. Remember how badly the Genesis did in Japan compared to the SNES but it was still one of SEGA's most profitable consoles because of the huge userbase in the European and American markets.

Edge said:
In all fairness to the analysts, Xbox had huge technological advantage over the PS2, and GCN, but this generation, MS has lost that technological advantage to Sony, the company which already has the most mindshare. Plus Microsoft's HUGE loss of Japan, which will result in Sony's PS3 getting the majority of Japanese developer support, and when looking at the tons of Japanese games that are released for the PS2, make a huge difference. Also Microsoft's harddisk and Live! advantage are being negated with similar options on the PS3 this generation. Blu-ray has added more functionality to PS3, and a coolness factor, missing from the 360. All these things will compound themselves against MS.
You talk specs, but gamers only care about games.

360 3rd party support is far better than when XBOX1 came out, so really it should almost definately do better than XBOX1 simply because it will have a much much much betetr game library.

All that other stuff is important to us, but it don't mean diddly squat when it comes to moving consoles, that all depends on games.

Essentially MS traded technological superiority for the ability to launch first therefore securing extremely strong 3rd party support, as well as the ability to cost reduce quickly (by staying with DVD.) More games and a lower cost, I think in the and that will prove to be a great strategy, it's all about the games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corwin_B said:
The nonsense is in equalling marketshare with profit, which is exactly what you did in your initial post "If MS lose marketshare they aren't going to make a profit.". The example of Nintendo is there to prove that you can make profit without a huge marketshare.

I find it funny that some poeple think Microshaft needs to make money on the Xbox or 360 for it to be sucessfull and do well with consumers. Microsoft can afford to give every gamer on the planet an Xbox360 for free and thats just the left over lunch\beer money Bill has in petty cash.

Neither Nintendo or Sony can even come CLOSE to making this statement, if by some reason the PS3 flopped(ok this obviosly would never EVER happen) Sony would go under Nintendo I don't know about, Nintendo isn't absing their entire future on the revolution and for good reason.

I've said it b4 and I"ll say it again the Xbox\360 is about living room realistate and nothing more to Microsoft, they make more money off their Office and Server products in a week than Nintendo will make off a console over an entire generation.

As Scoooby alluded to...

If there is one thing so far that MS is proving that it has; it's 3rd party game support. :LOL: compared to Xbox 1 it's night/day.

I think games and software services (Live and dev tools) -which is what the mouthpieces of MS all promoted during E3 05 while we were looking for playable games- is proving to be true.

Again, my theory is that Sony will win the marketshare again this Gen but MS will most likely make a profit as will it's development partners (lots of game sales) and we will get some great games in the process. This will allow MS to position itself NEXT next gen to perhaps equal Sony.

I Agree, I don't see how MS can win this one, the playstation brand is just so strong, it's not going anywhere.

However, they will certainly improve by a large margin IMO, no longer will there be 4 times as many PS games as xbox games, it will be a much closer ratio, which will make it much more attractive to joe mainstream than xbox1 was. Specs be damned...

scooby_dooby said:
You talk specs, but gamers only care about games.

360 3rd party support is far better than when XBOX1 came out, so really it should almost definately do better than XBOX1 simply because it will have a much much much betetr game library.
I'm not so sure about that. Xbox had the same whole arsenal of EA games and other franchises like DOA, Elderscrolls, ghost recon, etc...
For the moment, the support of Japanese developers has only slightly improved. However, if they plan to support xbox360 with lot's of exclusive content, I can see a bright future for the console.

scooby_dooby said:
I Agree, I don't see how MS can win this one, the playstation brand is just so strong, it's not going anywhere.

However, they will certainly improve by a large margin IMO, no longer will there be 4 times as many PS games as xbox games, it will be a much closer ratio, which will make it much more attractive to joe mainstream than xbox1 was. Specs be damned...

Yea you'd be crazy to say M$ is going to win anything this generation.

Moonblade said:
I'm not so sure about that. Xbox had the same whole arsenal of EA games and other franchises like DOA, Elderscrolls, ghost recon, etc.......
eventually yes, but support was not as strong in the first year as it is from the beginning this gen.

iirc

MS Game Studios put out a lot more titles than they probably wanted to so the pipeline would be filled.

Moonblade said:
I'm not so sure about that. Xbox had the same whole arsenal of EA games and other franchises like DOA, Elderscrolls, ghost recon, etc...
For the moment, the support of Japanese developers has only slightly improved. However, if they plan to support xbox360 with lot's of exclusive content, I can see a bright future for the console.

Japanese developer? What have they done for us lately? GRAW, Battlefied and Elder Scrolls are all going to be #1 top selling games, I don't think the bulk of the 360 crowd really cares about Japanese developers or their support. Every year Japanese devs\pubs are loosinging groud to the Europeans and the American developers\publishers, just look at EA, UbiSoft and Rockstar for a perfect example.

If I was a Japanese developer I wouldn't make ANY 360 Exclusive games because they just aren't going to sell with of course a few exception here and there.

Don't try to downtune Japanese developers.
If MS wants to steal more marketshare from sony they will need to attract more gamers, not just satisfy their current first person shooter-loving fanbase.

About Japanese developers losing ground to European and American developers, where did you get that?

Moonblade said:
Don't try to downtune Japanese developers.
If MS wants to steal more marketshare from sony they will need to attract more gamers, not just satisfy their current first person shooter-loving fanbase.

About Japanese developers losing ground to European and American developers, where did you get that?

Who big in Japan anymore? Sega? Nintendo? Namco? Square? Their nothing compared to EA and UbiSoft.

I don't know of many xbox fans that have ANY interset inturn based RPG's and fighting games and bla just look at sales of DOA4 in comparison to Call of Duty 2 and GRAW

c0_re said:
Who big in Japan anymore? Sega? Nintendo? Namco? Square? Their nothing compared to EA and UbiSoft.
They don't have to be as big as EA or Ubisoft to make people buy a console to play Final Fantasy, Tekken, Resident evil or Metal gear solid. These Japanese franchises are million sellers and thus are very important.

c0_re said:
I don't know of many xbox fans that have ANY interset inturn based RPG's and fighting games and bla just look at sales of DOA4 in comparison to Call of Duty 2 and GRAW

repeat said:

scooby_dooby said:
Look at any worldwide top seller list in the last few years.

Exactly, nothing against Japanese devs they are extremely tallanted or publishers they just don't make the type of games that sell well on Xbox or 360.

c0_re said:
Exactly, nothing against Japanese devs they are extremely tallanted or publishers they just don't make the type of games that sell well on Xbox or 360.

Yet they sell well on the PS2 and Gamecube?

RE4? Final Fantasy?

So what you're saying is, MS doesn't need the support of Japanese developers? That would be the kiss of death.

Back