Best web browser?

BRiT said:
:rolleyes: What's the big deal about that? That's what a proper browser cache does.

It was just an example, besides with the files outside of the cache folder, it's ALWAYS there. What happens when you clear the cache, or when it gets overwritten? I empty the browser cache every time I close the browser.

I also changed the css files to make fonts smaller and remove some logos to get more room for text.

You can define any search query (urlencoded or POST) and bind it to an adressbar nick in previous Operas too, but you have to hack the search.ini file. It's about time it got added officially in O9.
And Blazkowicz_ is right, it's an incredibly useful feature.

carpediem said:
It was just an example, besides with the files outside of the cache folder, it's ALWAYS there. What happens when you clear the cache, or when it gets overwritten? I empty the browser cache every time I close the browser.

I also changed the css files to make fonts smaller and remove some logos to get more room for text.

Just a quick question here, Why do you clear your browser cache on exit?

Ah, I see. Yes, it would be nice to mark the level of cacheing you want on each site. This leads me to thinking how nice of a feature this could be.

You would have various level of cache pools. Your first pool would be always keep cached [for regular sites like B3D, EB, WTF, etc...]. Your next pool could be for sites you browse a less frequently. Your last pool would be for all other sites. This way you could setup cache policies on each pool, like how much space to limit it to (if at all), how frequently to check for updates, and clearing policy. On top of that, in each cache-pool you could specify what to cache, just static files like css/images/js and/or dynamic content like html/xml, etc... So that way you dont have to worry about keeping private information on your machine after closing the browser. Now this would be a neat plugin to write for FF.

As for modifying CSS files / logo removal, I'm not sure if FireFox still has the ability to switch between using user.css files or the sites' css files. I know at one point in time that feature existed. I know it can be done via GreaseMonkey, but thats more for the javascript coders and less for CSS tweakers.

Resurrection.

Tonight I moved from Opera to Firefox. This is a move opposite of what many do, but I have a list of reasons why Opera as a browser sucks when compared to Firefox, all in my experience of course:

1.) Buggy. Opera, no matter what version I used. The latest official release, the first Opera 9 beta, the second Opera 9 beta. All were buggy. I had a series of crashes, the saving grace being only the fact that Opera remembers what you had up when it last closed.

2.) Opera had issues with many sites. My online based SBC email login page was simply an infinite loop, so I had to open up IE (instant death) in order to check it. Why? Because the built in Opera email client developed an issue with the SMTP server.

3.) If you close Opera, or rather it crashes on you and you have to reopen it, all of the sites you are logined into are usually now logged off. Even if you had checked "remember me" or something similair it would still be logged off. This is very annoying.

4.) Blinking cursor issue. This was very bad here at B3D, it would happen on a regular basis. Annoying and the only way to solve it was by closing the browser, which lead to issue 3 all over again.

5.) "Wand" the password tool for Opera is a pain and sucks. Frankly I see no point in having such a tool if it needs you to hit ctrl+enter in order to make your password appear. Control is a annoying key to hit for me, I have to cruel my pinky up and slide it down. The 'wand" is a joke.

6.) Copy and pasting items of pages is a pain with Opera. If you want to copy the words from a hyperlink for example you have to be very careful with your highlighting and once its highlighted you have to very carefully place the cursor over it so as to not click the link, but to select copy. I cant even start to recall all the times I accidently hit the link and had to repeat the process all over again.

Opera is a very good browser when it works, which can be somewhat rare. The included applications (especially the IRC client) are very useful when you're not needing special ablities for them. But there were just to many issues to deal with for two intergrated applications.

So I find myself in Firefox again with Thunderbird for email, its not my favorite combo, but its better than Opera.

I can't really say anything on 1, 2, and 4 because I haven't experienced those.
Skrying said:
3.) If you close Opera, or rather it crashes on you and you have to reopen it, all of the sites you are logined into are usually now logged off. Even if you had checked "remember me" or something similair it would still be logged off. This is very annoying.
That's strange. Even when Opera crashed on me, it never did that, and it always starts at exactly the same point it was before (except for secure sessions, of course).

5.) "Wand" the password tool for Opera is a pain and sucks. Frankly I see no point in having such a tool if it needs you to hit ctrl+enter in order to make your password appear. Control is a annoying key to hit for me, I have to cruel my pinky up and slide it down. The 'wand" is a joke.
I have never used Wand, but at least 2/3 of all keyboard shortcuts in standard applications include the Ctrl key. I think that's enough reason to get used to it. Anyway, can't you change the key mapping under preferences?

6.) Copy and pasting items of pages is a pain with Opera. If you want to copy the words from a hyperlink for example you have to be very careful with your highlighting and once its highlighted you have to very carefully place the cursor over it so as to not click the link, but to select copy. I cant even start to recall all the times I accidently hit the link and had to repeat the process all over again.
I can't really see how Firefox is much better in this regard. And Ctrl-C is faster than using the context menu anyway. ;)

Skrying said:
Preferences => Cookies, uncheck "Delete new cookies when exiting Opera". That should solve the issue, if you still care.

I like Opera's looks the best but it's too buggy. Maybe one out of ten pages seems to not work with it, and one happened to be one I frequent. That alone makes it a non-contender.

Firefox has that loose open source feel (not a good thing) but works pretty well. I use it now, but not because of the browser, but because of a couple extensions. That's what FF excels at, extensions.

IE is the fastest and best browser imo, the problem is ie doesn't have the extensions of FF, and I dont consider IE6 all that secure either

Whenever Vista comes out I will probably try to re-establish IE as my browser..if I can duplicate the functionality of the one or two FF extensions I use heavily (like the performancing, and imageshack ones).

I think IE7 is pretty ugly, though. So is FF. Opera wins the looks race.

I've reinstalled Opera, still having a big issue though that I forgot to mission earlier in the list: Lots of images are very courrupted, its like it was cut into pieces and reaggranged and then the colors were inverse.

Not all pictures, but lots of them. Happens NO where else on my system.

Skyring I havent had any of the wierd bugs and instabilities you are talking about and if I had them I wouldnt be using opera. My suggestion to you is to quit using it if it make syou unhappy. Also someone on the opera support forums might have the answer to your issues.

I installed the latest Opera 9 on my work laptop and must say that I'm happy. It finally listens when I tell the Wand to shut up, which was my biggest gripe. I've also not had any errors yet, so far so good.

Skrying, as much as I like Opera, you've been posting how Opera isn't the browser for you many times so why don't you stick with Firefox or whatever works for you?

Mordenkainen said:
Skrying, as much as I like Opera, you've been posting how Opera isn't the browser for you many times so why don't you stick with Firefox or whatever works for you?

Because its a pain to have three seperate applications when one can solve them all.

The IRC client in Opera works great, its awesome, and very user friendly.

When the email client works, it works great.

When you're just browsing and not hitting any sites that dont work, then Opera is a great browser.

I MUCH rather use Opera than Firefox.

FrameBuffer said:
opera

plain and simple.. meets w3c spec, first to support svg, tabbed browsing ,nearly endless modability (either through script or or ini editing), built in mail, rss, bit torrent. FREE ... best adblocker built in (no extension needed).. 100s of customised menus, toolbars, UIs .. smaller footprint than FF/Moz/NS, even when they have no extensions ... oh did I mention its free ;-)
I never understood a couple of your reasons:
1. "blah blah feature" FIRST - who cares who had it first, its who has it best, NOW.
2. I also don't understand the "built in" argument. Getting an extension is a one time cost of a couple of seconds. If this gives you something better than what is built in, then what is the problem?

Kalin said:
Here are some nice browser speed comparisons, including old versions of browsers and multiple platforms (linux, mac, win). There are also some supplementary stats for conceptual, and not full-featured browsers (e.g. HotJava, lynx, w3m).

Link: http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Informative comparison. (Though it's sad that the graphs are useless due to linear scaling, they should have done something logarithmic or so, to take care of the outliers. And is there some way to filter the numerical results, so that only recent browser versions are shown?).

I'm quite impressed with opera 8/9's speed, even if I have to admit it's not that noticable most of the time...

Snyder said:
Informative comparison. (Though it's sad that the graphs are useless due to linear scaling, they should have done something logarithmic or so, to take care of the outliers. And is there some way to filter the numerical results, so that only recent browser versions are shown?).

I'm quite impressed with opera 8/9's speed, even if I have to admit it's not that noticable most of the time...
i notice it while at my in-laws. of course, they have dial-up that tapps out at 2600bps on a good day because of the poor lines (they live in the country where there is no high speed) and have a 500mhz celeron, so things that are a little slower end up being alot slower. the ability to quickly turn on/off images or run in text only mode is a lifesaver out there.

Skrying said:
Resurrection.

Tonight I moved from Opera to Firefox. This is a move opposite of what many do, but I have a list of reasons why Opera as a browser sucks when compared to Firefox, all in my experience of course:

1.) Buggy. Opera, no matter what version I used. The latest official release, the first Opera 9 beta, the second Opera 9 beta. All were buggy. I had a series of crashes, the saving grace being only the fact that Opera remembers what you had up when it last closed.

2.) Opera had issues with many sites. My online based SBC email login page was simply an infinite loop, so I had to open up IE (instant death) in order to check it. Why? Because the built in Opera email client developed an issue with the SMTP server.

4.) Blinking cursor issue. This was very bad here at B3D, it would happen on a regular basis. Annoying and the only way to solve it was by closing the browser, which lead to issue 3 all over again.

Opera is a very good browser when it works, which can be somewhat rare. The included applications (especially the IRC client) are very useful when you're not needing special ablities for them. But there were just to many issues to deal with for two intergrated applications.

So I find myself in Firefox again with Thunderbird for email, its not my favorite combo, but its better than Opera.
Indeed opera seems to be buggy with regards to crashing and locking up.
I had a 700MB file downloading and opera crashed.. so i had to download it again.
But firefox is too sluggive for me and the lockups don't happen to be often.
That's the only issue I have.
No bloody blinking curser.

radeonic2 said:
Indeed opera seems to be buggy with regards to crashing and locking up.
I had a 700MB file downloading and opera crashed.. so i had to download it again.
But firefox is too sluggive for me and the lockups don't happen to be often.
That's the only issue I have.
No bloody blinking curser.

With regards to sluggish performance, I've never experienced such an issue wither either Opera or Firefox.

Since I've reinstalled Opera I havent experienced the blinking cursor issue. I still cant get the email to work correctly though, also with regards to the password issue, I havent experienced that yet (btw, deleting cookies after each closing of Opera was unchecked on every install for me), but wand still sucks.

Back