Best web browser?

carpediem said:
Why would I be interested to open EVERY link on a page?
Why would you be interested in opening 100 links, like you mentioned in your first example?
Opera isn't even close to being as fast as Maxthon in this matter. Why not just admit it?
You can still do CTRL-J and then select a range of links (using standard windows shortcuts) and open them. If you really think Maxathon would be "20 times faster" (as you claimed) then you are not being honest with yourself. Regadless, this isn't a function that is even vaguely important or relevent to most users. But if it makes you feel happy, then yeah, Maxathon is a million times faster.

carpediem said:
In maxthon, mark the links (may it be 100), drag the selection a tad, release... all are opened. Takes... a second.

How do you do that? I just tried it exactly as shown here - and nothing happens.

carpediem said:
Maxthon Options -> Advanced -> "open all links when..." (enable it)

Ah, thanks.

But - is there some special setting for handling many tabs? I just opened 40 tabs (here in B3D forum), and now Maxthon uses over 150MB and CPU utilisation goes up to 100% for a second whenever I try to change tabs and/or browse. Not even Firefox is that bad - Just opened the same links for testing purposes in FF and I'm at ca. 115MB and no special problems with CPU utilization (short spikes to 20-50% when changing tabs)...and thats with stuff like HTML Validator on.

Can I ask you guys a question?

I'm trying some of these new browsers, as an IE user.

Whenever I import my favorites folders from IE, when I go to favorites on the new browser, lets say Opera, they are all one folder down in a folder called "IE favorites" or something like that. Understand what I mean? I want them on the first line, not in a seperate folder.

This singlehandedly ruins everything. I do not want them in a seperate folder. I want them in the same exact way they are in IE.

Such a simple but deal breaking issue..is there a way to fix this?

I suppose I will try manually copying all my IE favorites and putting them in my Opera favorites folder after I finish typing this, but the autoimport really ought to do this for me.

And even so IE will likely be my main browser in the meantime, so new bookmarks will be added to it, then be a pain to transfer to the Opera favorites folder manually via copy and paste..

hit Ctrl+Alt+B or Bookmarks->Manage Bookmarks in the menu. You can drag all your bookmarks around at once

I'm trying Maxthon atm, but coming from Opera there are two features I am missing instantly (maybe I haven't found the right plugin or option yet):
- a real recycle bin for all tabs, not just blocked content
- fast forward/back without any reloading or delay

And is there a way to page-zoom with the mousewheel (ctrl+wheel only changes font size)?

Oh, and autoscroll (middle button click + moving up/down) speed control is crap. In a range of 100 pixels or so you go from slow to medium speed, and then bang! ultra-fast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Xmas said:
I'm trying Maxthon atm, but coming from Opera there are two features I am missing instantly (maybe I haven't found the right plugin or option yet):
- a real recycle bin for all tabs, not just blocked content
- fast forward/back without any reloading or delay

And is there a way to page-zoom with the mousewheel (ctrl+wheel only changes font size)?

Oh, and autoscroll (middle button click + moving up/down) speed control is crap. In a range of 100 pixels or so you go from slow to medium speed, and then bang! ultra-fast!

hey man, sorry i didn't reply sooner. Honestly, all of your problems are not problems I've had, but I want to help you enjoy Maxthon if it's possible! ;)

page zooming with mouse wheel is not possible afaik, however I have page zooming mapped to double clicking on the tab bar -- available at options...maxthon options...mouse action...mouse action. A good number of other mouse actions are available for mapping if mine isn't to your taste.

autoscroll is something I don't use ^^; but speed control may be improved by enabling Tools...Auto Scrolling...Use Mouse to Control Speed. in my brief testing I found that it was pretty easy to control with this enabled; again I never got into the habit of using this feature so YMMV.

Sadly, a "real recycle bin" and "fast" forward & back are not available afaik; of course you can change the latter by adjusting the IE settings for page reloads. If you set this to never refresh, and set all tabs or current tab to auto-refresh, it's pretty fast and effective. This must not be the same as whatever feature you're referring to, though. I find it quite speedy at forward and back. there is of course a mouse gesture of hold LMB then click RMB to go forward, and hold RMB then LMB to go back, in case you didn't already know. From my experience, most pages do not refresh when using this.

Hope this helps! Transitioning browsers is always a bitch (why I'm being stubborn about refusing to leave Maxthon for the time being), but I think that for most users Maxthon does have some unique and beneficial features... Again I'm just too satisfied at the moment to go through the effort of more experimenting. ^^;

in the grand scheme of things i find opera to be the best all around browser. it does everything i want it to do. but a few months back while i was putting together a computer for my mother, i loaded maxthon for her and configured it to look pretty close to IE with a few extra features. i still like opera better, but maxthon is an excellant choice for people migrating from IE because it's fully featured and more secure but still uses the same rendering engine. i've never been a big firefox fan. or mozilla in general for that matter. it's always felt bloated to me, even compared to IE.

here's what I wrote ten hours ago or so :)

I find mindself not bothering anymore with features. used to have extensions for mouse gestures, session remembering, different middle scrolling, full screen with auto-hiding of the toolbars and other things I don't even remember.
now I use plain firefox with only one extension, Plain Text Links (the most useful one, whenever there's a "unlinkinfied link" somewhere, I select it, right-click and do "open selected URL in tab"). would have "flash click to view" as well but as I'm on 56K now I didn't even bothered to download the flash plugin. another useful one is translation panel but I'm not fighting my way into german sites these days.

really, it's more simple. I don't need a hundred mouse gestures, scroll wheel in the tab area and add little buttons here, and sub menu here, and oh, look at that shiny panel.
all of that only to read text and write boring forum posts ;)
ctrl-t, ctrl-w, ctrl-tab, ctrl-shit-tab and the mouse do it for me, I gave up having all those zillions of things.

I started to use Opera again after reading this thread. I had used an older version before and didn't like it as much as IE, but the latest version is very nice. Tab browsing is awesome. I still use IE as backup though because some sites that I've visited don't work correctly with Opera. It's amazing that it's free too.

FireFox for me. the extensions I can't live with out. Especially adblock plus. There are a lot of little things that always bring me back to firefox. I just prefer it over opera. i was turned off Opera when it used to have ads, not free was a major downer. Maybe I'll try it out again sometimes.

Honourable backup mention goes to Safari, Camino and OmniWeb.

Been running internal betas of Maxthon the latest two weeks because we're getting new builds almost every day.

Built in proxy will make it HELL of a lot safer than IE for instance, because code reaching the browser can be changed before it enters the rendering engine. The possibilities with the new proxy are endless... I'm running all scripts, css files, images cached on my local computer from the Maxthon forum, so when I surf there, Maxthon ONLY downloads the HTML files. All the references to css/js/images are changed to the location on my hdd in the HTML code. Displaying a page has gone from around 5 seconds or so down to 1-1,5 seconds on the forum.

I've been running patched from the createTextRange() bug that was in IE with Maxthon the past few weeks for instance...

While I can't reveal a whole screenshot of the browser, here's a small glance on how it can look. Graphics are also being updated frequently, so it might not look like this when it's released to public.

screenshot0051ua.png

carpediem said:
The possibilities with the new proxy are endless... I'm running all scripts, css files, images cached on my local computer from the Maxthon forum, so when I surf there, Maxthon ONLY downloads the HTML files. All the references to css/js/images are changed to the location on my hdd in the HTML code. Displaying a page has gone from around 5 seconds or so down to 1-1,5 seconds on the forum.

:rolleyes: What's the big deal about that? That's what a proper browser cache does.

Firefox, only one word is needed to explain why: Extentions.

Here's the thing about browers for me, as long as you do not use the standard IE then you're fine in my book.

I've tried Maxthon, Opera, and Firefox extensivly. What came down to it all in the end was perference. In the end if forced to use any of those three I'd be a happy camper.

Theres a plugin for everything in all the browsers really. So, IMO, it all comes down to perference and arguements over it are rather pointless.

OPERA

plain and simple.. meets w3c spec, first to support svg, tabbed browsing ,nearly endless modability (either through script or or ini editing), built in mail, rss, bit torrent. FREE ... best adblocker built in (no extension needed).. 100s of customised menus, toolbars, UIs .. smaller footprint than FF/Moz/NS, even when they have no extensions ... oh did I mention its free ;-)

You forgot fast. It's easily the fastest browser aside from IE, but that's to be expected since it's integrated into explorer.

I use opera.
Does everything I need.

Only changed one thing: customised it like so:

opera_plug.jpg

Takes all of 5 seconds to do that too...

a feature I love, introduced in version 1.0 of firefox, right-click on any search field and add a keyword. I don't know how it is in opera. whenever I want, I just hit ALT-D to go in URL bar and type, say wiki red panda :)

as the search box is useless, I have a slight customization as well
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/531/firefox4nj.png
(page intentionally left blank, so the PNG is very light ^^)
(about:blank is my homepage anyway)

right click in a search field is in opera 9, but opera has had google, ebay, and a few other searches integrated in the address bar for a long time now.

Back