nVidia Conference Call Tomorrow

Man...

I can honestly say that this is one conference call I won't miss! LOL.

IE:

"Question: Jen, can you give us a status on that chip you said was the most significant contribution to 3D in the history of nVidia?"

"Jen: Sure, Bob. It has been decided that demand was FAR too high than our current supply; therefore, we have decided not to sell it! You see Bob, I don't believe in leaving any one customer out of the loop...and if there's just one guy that can't have it, than nobody can. Next question?"

Actually, I doubt it'll be all that fun for investors :D

Let me imagine it...
"Question: You recently said you were confident future products would take the performance crown back from ATI. Any information on those products?
"Jen: I'm sorry, but we can't give information on unannounced products."
"Okay, so, how many ASICs are you going to release this year?"
"Jen: Including NV30 and our next nForce, about 7"
"Great. But aren't you worried so many ASICs are going to reduce the profitability of each ASIC, thus making it harder to cover R&D expenses?"
"Jen: Well, we'd need that many ASICs to stay competitive with ATI anyway. And we probably aren't going to be anyway, and... Damn! Kill this guy! Kill EVERYONE WHO HEARD ME!"

"But sir, there are about a thousand listeners to the conference call..."
"Would you dare disobey direct orders, Kirk?"
"Of course not, sir. It'll be done, sir!"

Uttar

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
Kirk is in Australia attending the Graphite conference. (Essentially Siggraph for Asia Pacific) :)

Yeah. Nobody would suspect nVidia is hiring Australian mass murderers :D

More seriously, anyone wanna take bets on what nVidia Q4 earnings will be?
Analysts average supposition is of 0.06/share , or about $10M
My bet is 0.13/share, or about $22M

Uttar

Uttar said:
"Great. But aren't you worried so many ASICs are going to reduce the profitability of each ASIC, thus making it harder to cover R&D expenses?"
Actually, I think a good explanation of this particular one is:

"We believe that we will sell more products total by maintaining a diversified set of products. At the same time, all of these products will be using the same core technologies, significantly reducing the costs of R&D. So no, I don't believe it will reduce the profitability of each ASIC, as each will sell more and adding, say, a 7th on top of a 6th will just not require much more money."

But yeah, I'll be interested in getting the transcript of this one. More than anything, I want to see some questions about FSAA. Primarily: is nVidia focused on actually improving their FSAA beyond that which is offered in the GeForce4 currently (specifically gamma-correct FSAA, non ordered-grid 4x, higher than 4x pure multisampling)? Will an improvement in FSAA come before the next major generation (presumably to be released in 2004)?

But yeah, I'll be interested in getting the transcript of this one. More than anything, I want to see some questions about FSAA.

Heh...I think you are dreaming if you think Analysts would even think about asking that quesiton. ;) (Not that I wouldn't like to know the answer to that too....)

P4 nForce series chipset

Intel might be a little bit selfish (or wise in some regards) about not letting nVidia produce a P4 chipset. With the nForce2 reputation and momentum, nVidia could grab a big bite of market share over night.

Re: P4 nForce series chipset

MatrixShark said:
...With the nForce2 reputation and momentum, nVidia could grab a big bite of market share over night.

Possibly, but @ this stage they're not prepared to do so at Intel's price...

Re: P4 nForce series chipset

MatrixShark said:
Intel might be a little bit selfish (or wise in some regards) about not letting nVidia produce a P4 chipset. With the nForce2 reputation and momentum, nVidia could grab a big bite of market share over night.

M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y. :rolleyes:

How seriously will you take the conference call. I am not sure how much ill believe what is said on it. They havent delivered as promised from the last call. Didnt he (CEO) promise the products by January.

anyways, Ill not take the call as seriously,

later,

epicstruggle said:
How seriously will you take the conference call. I am not sure how much ill believe what is said on it. They havent delivered as promised from the last call. Didnt he (CEO) promise the products by January.

anyways, Ill not take the call as seriously,

later,

He didn't promise anything in January.
He promised NV30s for the January *quarter*
That's from the mid January to mid April, IIRC...

Uttar

He didn't promise anything in January.
He promised NV30s for the January *quarter*
That's from the mid January to mid April, IIRC...

Strange...when did quarters start lasting for 4 months.... ;)

In any case, USUALLY, when finance talks about "Quarters" they typically do so in terms of the Quarter Ending. So I would have interpreted his comments the "Quater Ending January '03."

Which would have fit in with nVidia's initial claims about the shipping all allong. But in any case, we all know that all such statements are purposely made as vague as possible such that they can be interpreted in any number of ways to cover their ass. ;) Makes me wonder what "statements of apparent fact" we'll be discussing after today's call because of high ambiguity. (Speaking of which...about 15 minutes from now...)

Speaking of which, nVidia just announced the Q4 results slightly before the conference call, as they always do.
It's *significantly* above every analyst's estimates. nVidia earned 30 cents/share, against 43 cents/share a year ago.
Total revenue for the quarter is of $469M, compared to $504M a year ago.
This revenue includes $40.4-4.8M, or 35.6M which comes from settling the lawsuit with Microsoft.

Uttar

Anonymous said:
It's *significantly* above every analyst's estimates.

And <scrolls back up screen> yours too Uttar? ;)

Or were you quoting profit?

(Only tugging your tail, LOL).

Yes, although as you indicated, $40 million of the revenue is for the late x-box/microsoft settlement. (Did that actually occur inthe Quarter?)

So the Analysts expecting $10 million were spot on, actually. (As I'm sure the analysts were not factoring in the settlement...)

In any case, revenue is revenue. However, their "before one time expenses / winfalls" revenues has been steadily declining the past two quarters...

Back