new GPU for nV

Aren't they supposed to be officially launching Quad-SLi on the 22nd? I know that's not a new GPU but marketing folks might like to convince us it is?

It's the 7900GX2. The NDA on it expires on March 22nd. linky

I still don't like calling that "a new gpu". If it had a G71 next to it on the wafer, it's a G71!

maybe it's still a G71 but with a slightly different package. afterall, a NV45 is a NV40. or it's just bullshit, or 7900GT and 7900GTX are considered as different GPUs in the marketing department.

a 7900GX2 card has two G71 and a nexus chipset with 16x PCIe lanes to each GPU plus 16x PCIe lanes to the PCIe slot, right?
maybe the PCIe lanes on the GPU packages are placed somewhat differently (I'm talking out of my ass, really don't know anything). and I can imagine PCIe lanes between nexus and GPU running at twice the standard frequency, 8GB/s full duplex between the GPUs would be more sexy that 4GB/s (number still low if the two cards spend their time ping-ponging stuff when doing post-processing that depend on the preceding frame? :p)

or like I said, no new GPU. when Athlon FX-60 comes out for example, it's called a new CPU whereas it's no different than a X2 4400+ or 4800+

So that settles it. 7600GS meh...

Now if its not G73, it shouldn't be called 7600.
________
WEED

Last edited by a moderator:
Back