Sony PS3 basic online service to surpass Xbox360 Silver

Sis said:
In all honesty--and as much as I'd love to see WoW or Guild Wars on a console, as a manufacturer this would be the absolute last thing I would want. People spend hundreds of hours and months upon months playing a single game. I hear too much anecdotal evidence of "I haven't even purchased another game since I bought WoW 9 months ago". And when your business model is about maximizing your attach rate, this seems wrong.

Then again, it's probably just short sigtedness on my part that leads me to this way of thinking...

I think that's honestly a very good point.

Still though, if you're not the console with the killer MMORPGs, there's always the chance the other guy will be. Better to have a subset of your own user base be 'low performing' from a recurring revenue perspective than have those same people over with the other guy instead. And besides, if they ever *do* get bored of the game, well hey, maybe one day they'll walk into a store and buy another game for your console. :)

Anyway it'll be interesting to see just what Sony's got going here with this free service. Hope we get more details at GDC.

I'll have to see it to belive it, I'm not convinced Sony is willing to drop 2+ Billion dollars and then give the service away for free.

Costs to play online are probably optional. Ssomething like COn doesn't warrantee charging people to play online. GW doesn't charge either. Leave it open to the dev.

As for finding people to play with, if you can create freidns lists and closed games, I'm a happy bunny. The only interest I have in playing online is playing with 'real world' friends.

What perhaps concerns me is the development of said infrastructure is said to be created by SOE and GameSpy. Can they be trusted with doing a good, elegant job? The little of GmaeSpy I used in NWN was scarey and problematic, but I don't know how much is GameSpy and how much is the implementation by the game developers.

Sis said:
Because Sony doesn't want yet another thing it has to subsidize with software sales?
Thats why developers come out with sequels/triquel or new series, because in the end developers/marketers have to give consumers a reason to upgrade.

Shifty Geezer said:
What perhaps concerns me is the development of said infrastructure is said to be created by SOE and GameSpy. Can they be trusted with doing a good, elegant job? The little of GmaeSpy I used in NWN was scarey and problematic, but I don't know how much is GameSpy and how much is the implementation by the game developers.
Doesn't SOE have a lot of experience with online gaming infrastructure, since they have Everquest under their belt?

I think once we know exactly which services Sony will offer to every PS3 owner, which cost the owner more money and which are dependent on developer inclusion, things will be more clear.

BTOA said:
Doesn't SOE have a lot of experience with online gaming infrastructure, since they have Everquest under their belt?
Well, I haven't heard all that many good things about Everquest 2, and making a PC MMO game is not exactly the same as making a console service.

expletive said:
Are you saying the same person, will play the same game, on both platforms, simultaneously, and pay 2 subscription fees to do so?

no..it means that they will increase their audience of gamers that can play the game and they will add to the $$ they make a month.. even if its $10 instead of $15, is $10 extra that they were not making before.
Sure some may stop paying the pc version to play the 360 version.. but console gamers that don't have gaming pc's will also play it, increasing revenue.

why are most games cross platform? more gamers = more sales.

BTOA said:
I think they experience. I don't know that they're particularly good. Certainly I don't know of a reputation from SOE for slcik and classy online gaming.

Shifty Geezer said:
I think they experience. I don't know that they're particularly good. Certainly I don't know of a reputation from SOE for slcik and classy online gaming.

SOE does well on the online part, but they seem to struggle with the enjoyable game part. I wouldn't worry too much about them helping create an online infrastructure... Now, if they were responsible for creating all the games that were going to be online, then I might start to get worried =p

I don't like the name of the thread but this is great news for both xbox and playstation fans.
First MS forces Sony to launch the PS3 worldwide and now sony is forcing MS to lower their live service price or to make adjustment.

Competition, got to love it because the consumer always wins.

Sorry to ask the obvious question.....but exactly what point in his presentation on the 16th did KK say online gaming was free?

As far as I saw, the list included a bunch of things, and explicit online gaming was not one of them.

scooby_dooby said:
Sorry to ask the obvious question.....but exactly what point in his presentation on the 16th did KK say online gaming was free?

As far as I saw, the list included a bunch of things, and explicit online gaming was not one of them.

Not sure to be honest... press/media seems like they are taking stuff and running with it (similar to the HDD "confirmation" from a nameless spokesperson).

Need to wait for real confirmation on this stuff before I start getting excited.

Bobbler said:
Not sure to be honest... press/media seems like they are taking stuff and running with it (similar to the HDD "confirmation" from a nameless spokesperson).

Need to wait for real confirmation on this stuff before I start getting excited.
I know, I feel like they're just regurgitating all the stuff that One already reported for us with clarity 2 days ago.

Seriously, One, these guys need to hire you man, so they can get their shit straight.

Brimstone said:
How much online advertising will be forced upon you though for the free service?

In the handheld forum there was a thread about EA charging you $2 to play a game without giving up your personal info...maybe something along those lines. Hope not though.

I thought Zipper Interactive got bought by Sony...would they not be able to help with making online work even if SOE is incompetent? From what I've read Socom III is a very well featured multiplayer game...

I have no problem, none whatsoever, paying $1/week to play games online with an integrated system (like Live gold).

It's worth every penny to me and I don't even miss it.

If it's more important for some not to pay, well then congratulations on this news (if true). ;)

Back