Piracy in the 360?

thekey

Newcomer
How is piracy doing in the 360- are games online fully avaiable? One would assume 360 will be much more harmed than the ps3 because of DVD.

It took ~6 months for the first modchips for the Xbox to be released, I can only imagine it will take a similar period - if not longer - for the 360.

When it inevitably is modded, yes, piracy will undoubtedly be worse for it than the PS3. All 360 games can be downloaded, but as Diamond.G said, there is no way to run them (yet).

I don't think piracy will be too major a concern this generation however.

Nicked said:

With games costing $60 now, I think it will be major once it gets started. I think the 360 is supposed to be released in China soon, so it shouldn't be too long of wait after that.

Nicked said:

I disagree, the higher the price, the more attractive piracy will become. Who will pay 60 bucks for a game when you can have it for almost free?

thekey said:
I disagree, the higher the price, the more attractive piracy will become. Who will pay 60 bucks for a game when you can have it for almost free?
Well, wouldn't it be harder to pull off technically with the multi-core CPU?

thekey said:
Third world countries are all about piracy. They just cant afford the games. Trust me, nobody there even thinks of original games.
Not to sound too off topic, but wouldn't, no shouldn't that mean that the PS3 would be the number one target especially if the games are too expensive for the ps3 and it is the more desired system?

I am actually kind of impressed with how well the 360 has held out so far. One would have thought that after MS, almost blatantly, said the system would be harder to hack the crafty hackers would be falling all over themselves to be the 'first one'.

Diamond.G said:
Not to sound too off topic, but wouldn't, no shouldn't that mean that the PS3 would be the number one target especially if the games are too expensive for the ps3 and it is the more desired system?

You bet? Playstation is far more popular in those places than the Xbox. The DVD format might tilt it the other way around though, specially if they can manage to make copies more easily and sell them at much lower price than Blu Rays (although blu rays could be split in dvds, it would in any case be much harder). Other solution would be simply not selling 360s in countries with much piracy- something they already do.

People modded Xbox Games to run images from the HDD, why can't that be the same for PS3? It won't be nearly as efficent (how many BR discs can fit in a 60 GB HDD or more?)

PS3 seems more like an Xbox is than the 360.

bouy said:
People modded Xbox Games to run images from the HDD, why can't that be the same for PS3? It won't be nearly as efficent (how many BR discs can fit in a 60 GB HDD or more?)

PS3 seems more like an Xbox is than the 360.
How the hell would the average developer create enough content to fill up an entire bluray disc? I mean, you could do really sloppy coding, but then wouldn't the load times be horrible if you have a relatively small amount of a level using up 5 gigabytes?

nintenho said:
How the hell would the average developer create enough content to fill up an entire bluray disc? I mean, you could do really sloppy coding, but then wouldn't the load times be horrible if you have a relatively small amount of a level using up 5 gigabytes?
Well for one thing, they can put lots of HD cinematic cutscenes to woo those Japanese gamers who love them so.

Didn't early PS games take up a couple hundred megabytes and barely the full disc? And Even most PS2 games don't take up entire DVD's excluding videos.

I didn't necessarily say that BR games will initially take up a full layer, but over time it will come true. But if someone could make an image of the BR disc, not sure how possible this is yet, then some hackers and modders can eventually make it run off a HDD. I'm not much a subject matter expert on the whole hacking and modding thing but every new layer of protection they add is just another barrier that eventually gets cracked.

bouy said:
Well for one thing, they can put lots of HD cinematic cutscenes to woo those Japanese gamers who love them so.

Didn't early PS games take up a couple hundred megabytes and barely the full disc? And Even most PS2 games don't take up entire DVD's excluding videos.
Well, doesn't 30 gigs give you about 8 hours of 1080P movies? No gamer (japanese even) would play a game like that. Besides, aren't a lot of developers going to use more in-engine movies instead since they are cheaper? I'm not even so sure the majority of PS3 games will come on a bluray disc just so they can save the fifty cents or whatever per disc. Like you said, a lot of early PS2 games came on CD's..........

........yeah, huh?

Alstrong said:
Why do you say that :?:
Sony will be using Blu-ray, Nintendo is using a proprietary format.
Xbox 360 will only be a small part of the market compared to PS2+Xbox this generation, and DVD9 only means its greatly more expensive than most of the games this generation which came on DVD-5 - at least initially -

nintenho said:
I'm not even so sure the majority of PS3 games will come on a bluray disc just so they can save the fifty cents or whatever per disc
ALL PS3 games will be on Blu-ray discs for anti-piracy reasons and the cost for a single-layer BRD is supposedly equivalent to that of a DVD-9, and you'll just have to wait and see if they can make good use of the extra space.

Considering the security has been beefed up so much in the 360, I think it will be very, or perhaps extremely difficult to mod it.

A: software decryption keys, boot code etc are all stored on the CPU itself. You can't snoop this stuff across some external bus or such like with the original box. Even a 768-bit RSA key took HOW long exactly to crack using distributed computing on tens of thousands of PCs a couple years back? You can bet MS didn't use a key that was just 1kbit long, but probably one much longer. Good luck brute-forcing that. Unless we find some revolutionary way of factoring extremely large prime numbers or quantum computing becomes a reality inside the next year or so we can assume the encryption won't be cracked inside the 360's viable life-time...

B: all major chips are surface mounted and the CPU uses high-speed serial-like proprietary interface to the world that isn't going to be easy, or even possible to fiddle with. It's not even possible to get at any of the CPU, GPU or southbridge pins directly. Unless they're routed through a via through the motherboard there'd be no way to tap the signals, and I'm sure MS has thought of this when they laid out the board. This would highly interfere with the ability to solder in any kind of modding hardware I'd think, if you need to be a soldering expert, possible with access to a surface mount rig.

Will it be hacked? Sure, but that is not the interesting question. Everything gets hacked and cracked, FBI, CIA, banks, you name it, but you don't see normal people just hacking into to a bank for fun and just adds some more $$$ to their account, because it is to damn hard. Similarly, whether the xbox 360 will gets hacked doesn't mean anything, if modding it, or making the hack easily accesible to the "common" people is not possible. If you have to half break your xbox360 or even worse I don't see many actually trying to mod it...

Back