"PlayStation 3 delay --a good thing?"

geo said:
Maybe I have an exalted view of Sony's size, so let me check. . .what % of their gross revenues is Playstation? And how is PS2 unit/games sales doing these days?

PS is Approx $3.5 B per quarter out of rougly $12-13B total quarterly revenue. so a bit above the 25% mark, fairly substantial.

Cheers

Reactions: Geo
Gubbi said:
PS is Approx $3.5 B per quarter out of rougly $12-13B total quarterly revenue. so a bit above the 25% mark, fairly substantial.

Cheers

Yup, much more than I was thinking. Thanks.

Yep only sony would get this kind or leeway. They Delay the console and they are praised. simle form of brainwashing by the sony hype machine.

swanlee said:
Yep only sony would get this kind or leeway. They Delay the console and they are praised. simle form of brainwashing by the sony hype machine.

It would be interesting to see what is being said on Japanese console forums. I suspect a large part of the "giving them a pass" here is based on the simple fact that folks aren't thinking it has been delayed for them personally.

¿Earlier than expected?

Come on. 2007 was the very worst case based on an unconfirmed source claiming PS3 would be delayed in Japan.

Europe was expecting end of 2006. We are still on track. Bad news is that this time, against predictions based on Spring 2006 for Japan and maybe USA, we are in the worldwide launch. So PS3 will be pretty scarce around here. How many consoles in total for November 2006 around the world? A couple of millions at most? How many for Europe? Availability was rather bad for X360, and there was just some thousands of 360 for Japan. Imagine that for PS3, and let's figure out what kind of priority we will receive here, based on Sony's history with PAL territories.

Yeahh, I'm very happy with the announcement... WTF.

Sony's PR is really good. But at the same time it is amazing how loyal the Sony supporters are... Those are bad news, for Japan, for America and for Europe.

What did MS launch with first month? What's a "world-wide saturation launch" (i.e. anyone who wants one that first month can find one at no worse than MSRP, with no more than a few calls or site visits) take, do you think? 5 million?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony needs to be taken to task for lies and hyperbole, the entire world seems to be letting them get away with a free pass

This is the first non-game-industry article that was actually good. This was great in fact. Guy knew what he was talking about. There's no doubt that November is a good time for the PS3 to launch.

For Sony Inc. -Bad News- They had fully intended to launch in Spring. You can make the argument that Spring was always a smoke signal just to divert attention from the 360 but i think there's a few points contradict that. Not to mention the fact that they flat out said BR IS holding the launch back...

First off, BR is definitely behind schedule (as is AACS for both HD optical formats). This was not forseen and has shifted their timeline out by <X> months. Second, missing holiday 2006 ANYWHERE is not something they were ok with obvious by the fact that they are launching in all 3 regions with only a few million units. Theyre going to be rushing to make this launch by this year with a woefully inadequate amount of product to meet demand. If this November launch was 'planned' and not delayed, they would surely have more units available to supply it.

For Sony Fans -Bad News- Aside from the 8 or so hours where there was a rumor that EU may get the PS3 in 2007, the net/net is that the release was pushed back from Spring to November, 6 months. And the fact of the matter is that for quite a few users, the low number of units available for a 2006 launch does essentially mean a 2007 launch. There will be many PS3 fans without a PS3 under their tree this year(just like the 360 last year).

For MS -Good News- I'm not saying their plan is right or wrong however, based on their strategy, this news has to be very good for MS. MS jumped through flaming hoops to have the market to themselves, right or wrong they felt it was critical. Well they just got a 'buy 6 months, get 6 months free' coupon on their early launch. Obviously they need to take advantage of the lead but based on their research they must figure this is a big deal. We'll see but i'm sure MS is happy with the news.

(Another good news/bad news for MS is the announcement of the PS3 online service. The features read like a feature set for XBL as it stands today. This is 'bad' becuase PS3 will have somethign to compete in this area. The good news is that it validates XBL and gives MS a chance to be 'better' in this regard. Sony is a hardware company and MS is a software/services company, they should have an advantage in this area. Sony goes out on a limb here because if their service is inferior to XBL, it probably would have been better to play it cool and only have a simpler version of XBL rather than compete feature-for-feature.)

For developers -Good News- Assuming they had the hardware they needed to release games for launch in June, they now have 6 months more to polish the games. Seeing what was accomplished with an extra 4 months for games like GRAW, i think the launch games could be more fully realized than they would have been. (It doesnt mean theyll be any better than 360 games being released at the same time, but there should be higher qaulity software for PS3-only owners.) If there other reasons the console is being pushed back besides BR, like Cell or RSX, then they may be no better off, but i'll stick to the facts and figure theyre getting 6 more months.

For the "Indsutry" -Bad news- The fact is that there are people who will not enter the next gen in 2006 because of this late launch and small amounts of PS3 hardware. This coupled with the spectre of the PS3 being more widely available in 2007 will keep them, and their money, on the sidelines.

For MS Fans -Irrelevant- What do you care? Youve got your console and lots of games this year. Mind your own business and go play your 360.

For the multi-console fan -Irrelevant- Theres plenty to play if you own a 360, so its not like youll be bored this holiday season without a PS3. The revolution doesnt seem to have any technology in it thats going to delay its mass production in 2006. SO between the Rev and 360 there should be plenty to keep the hardcore console gamer busy until they can get a PS3 in their filthy hands.

It is probably good thing.....especially for those publishers who were casting their doubts on a spring launch. Speaking of which, we are yet to see gameplay footage or PS3 in playable form( probably not untill E3). I just want to see the software line-up and how they have progressed.

Sony needs to be taken to task for lies and hyperbole, the entire world seems to be letting them get away with a free pass

Um, yeah....they should really be tared and feathered.

swanlee said:
Sony needs to be taken to task for lies and hyperbole
And you need professional help to deal with the normal business practises of marketting and unexpected problems thwarting intended plans...

DarkRage said:
Sony's PR is really good. But at the same time it is amazing how loyal the Sony supporters are...

What's so amazing about it? Great franchises, tons of games, and awesome upcoming hardware. It's easy to be a loyal Sony fan, and with the current great releases on the PS2, the wait is easy.

All what Sony offers is not going away, and that's why they have such strong support.

swanlee said:

We should buy the Xbox 360, by the company that was convicted in Federal Court of illegal business practices??? Maybe some people should look in the mirror at the company they support before point the finger at others. You see "lies" and I see circumstances that prevented the spring launch. That does not make it a lie. Maybe a course in morality would help you out?

"And you need professional help to deal with the normal business practises of marketting and unexpected problems thwarting intended plans..."

Why is Sony always given a free pass yet MS is crucifide? there is a huge sony can do no wrong camp.

Also how can this be good for Publishers? They have tight financial deadlines, pushing back profits for the PS3 games in development and on top of that dumping more money in development can't sit well with all of them.

swanlee said:
"And you need professional help to deal with the normal business practises of marketting and unexpected problems thwarting intended plans..."

Why is Sony always given a free pass yet MS is crucifide? there is a huge sony can do no wrong camp.

Why do you care so much?! Do you work for MS? Are you so insecure about your purchase that you feel the need to slay the competition, knowing that in the end, the company you support has done even worse than them? Get a grip.

swanlee said:
Also how can this be good for Publishers? They have tight financial deadlines, pushing back profits for the PS3 games in development and on top of that dumping more money in development can't sit well with all of them.

....and rushing a game so it can meet the console launch wouldn't sit well for them either. They have untill november to finish/polish up their titles, even so.....they will probably be some games that will seem like they have been rushed.

gokickrocks said:
its a good thing for those that bought a xbox360 and plan on buying a ps3 as well...it spreads the hit on their wallet

exactly why it doesn't bother me. :D

I am just now starting to see the real games for 360 and I will have 8 mos to enjoy that fully before I even think about the PS3. Chances are I won't even get one until after the holiday (giving me almost a year) when PS3's are more readily available .

As for Nov in general, I think Sony had no choice, Spring was a diversionary tactic all along IMO as MS really pushed thier Next Gen plans ahead of schedule.

london-boy said:
Why do you care so much?! Do you work for MS? Are you so insecure about your purchase that you feel the need to slay the competition, knowing that in the end, the company you support has done even worse than them? Get a grip.

That's what I don't understand also. The bitterness on this forum has gone up 10 times, simply because the Xbox fans thought a PS3 delay would finish Sony off, when in anything, a 6 month delay is nothing for a product with a 5 to 6 year cycle.

Would the Xbox fans abondon their console, if it was delayed by 6 months. Of course not, so why would Sony fans.

I just want the best console with the most support, and that's the PS3. I will easily wait another 6 months for that.

"But ... but ... Sony are a bunch of liars!" Boo hoo! I love the warped logic here in saying Sony are liars now because of a delayed launch because the hardware is not ready.

Back