Still no real SM3 approach for ATI 1K series in Splinter Cell CT

How does it work in the demo. The demo doesn't have the sm2.0 path and HDR only works with SM3.0 hardware. The last time i played the demo , HDR was working on x1800 at least there was an obvious difference between HDR on/off.So what do they do if fp16 filtering is not detected?

Last edited:
DegustatoR said:
So you're saying that even if i set SM3 mode manually it's still using SM2 shaders? Or it's using SM3 shader but with FX16 instead of FP16?
I don't think there is even a fx16 , as blending is not supported with it.

Demirug said:
The SM3 Path in SC:CT needs FP Texture Filter. ATI doesn't support this.
Thanks, demi. Surely there's a workaround similar to that in 3DM06 (assuming either ATI or Ubi can be bothered to write it)?

Apple740, what do you mean ATI doesn't support HDR in FC? I thought it just didn't support HDR+AA via an official patch, and that an earlier patch (1.2 or 1.3 or 1.33) included an update to accomodate ATI's SM3 spec for HDR.

Pete said:
Thanks, demi. Surely there's a workaround similar to that in 3DM06 (assuming either ATI or Ubi can be bothered to write it)?

Yes this can be patched but it depends on who is willing to spend "$ € Â¥ £ ₤ ₣ ₧".

Demirug said:
Yes this can be patched but it depends on who is willing to spend "$ € Â¥ £ ₤ ₣ ₧".

Well, but this won't be necessary, because the next version of DX Tweaker surely will support FP filtering emulation, won't it? :cool:

Snyder said:
Well, but this won't be necessary, because the next version of DX Tweaker surely will support FP filtering emulation, won't it? :cool:

What next Version? I am happy if I even find some time for any of my pro bono projects.

Pete said:
Apple740, what do you mean ATI doesn't support HDR in FC? I thought it just didn't support HDR+AA via an official patch, and that an earlier patch (1.2 or 1.3 or 1.33) included an update to accomodate ATI's SM3 spec for HDR.

HDR only works (for Ati) in 1.4

Apple is right, I don't know why it hasn't been sent out yet either. its been at least a month since the patch has been ready from Crytek's side from what I have heard.

Demirug said:
That's what I was driving at. :)

Apple740" said:
HDR only works (for Ati) in 1.4
:oops: I'm really surprised I didn't pick up on that. Learn something new....

Pete said:
That's what I was driving at. :)

:oops: I'm really surprised I didn't pick up on that. Learn something new....
Yup, I was quite surprised when I found out when I got the X1800 in my hands too - I hadn't installed the patch yet, and when I tried FarCry I thought to myself "Damn, this ATI HDR is no different than no HDR at all" :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Weirder and weirder. I have to assume Damien is using the 1.4b patch to allow ATI to run HDR+AA, but is ATI's HDR really that dull compared to NV's (open new tabs with the Normal pic, then the HDR pics near the bottom of the page)? Or is that just the default setting, and ATI can be adjusted to NV quality?

B/c I recall Dave or Damien or Rys posting an ATI HDR+AA shot that looked as bright as the NV shot. It was in a bunker looking out through a broken wall.

Ubi doesn’t want to spend any money qualifying additional patches for their outdated games. They are investing heavily on SC4, so it makes no sense to develop any more patches for the current version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back