PS Business Briefing 2006 March official info

Ok, sorry.
But
Topic: PS Business Briefing 2006 March official info
I thought it includes PSP, and that this thread was to discuss the whole briefing and info given.
;)

Edit: To "cover my tracks" I have a new premonition.
What if the PSP "EyeToy" is at the same time the PS3 wireless HD IP camera?
That there would not be a separate "Eye Toy" camera for PS3, but the PSP + camera would be it?
Makes some sense, does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
mckmas8808 said:
Now what does presupposition mean? :/

Main Entry: pre·sup·pose
Pronunciation: "prE-s&-'pOz
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French presupposer, from Medieval Latin praesupponere (perfect indicative praesupposui), from Latin prae- + Medieval Latin supponere to suppose -- more at SUPPOSE
1 : to suppose beforehand
2 : to require as an antecedent in logic or fact

Basically, developers should require their games to install on the hdd.

Anyway, Sony adressed some problems of the past:
1) worldwide launch
Finally, Europe isn'T getting the shaft. However, the simultaneous launch could cause massive supply problems.

2) hdd comes with the box

3) load times reduced due to HD installation
I was already getting worried that the PS3 load times would be attrocious, but now it seems they might actually be acceptable.

hupfinsgack said:

That's a bit of a stretch..if games can assume the presence of a HDD they might well use it for caching/streaming etc. but not require that they be installed!

I'm still not buying the HDD-in-the-box story though. Inane is correct about pickiness post-360, and I've yet to see an absolutely clear direct quote from anyone at SCE saying "The HDD will ship with every PS3, no split market".

On a different note, Phil Harrison's GDC keynote should actually be interesting now :D

hupfinsgack said:
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French presupposer, from Medieval Latin praesupponere (perfect indicative praesupposui), from Latin prae- + Medieval Latin supponere to suppose -- more at SUPPOSE

1) worldwide launch
Finally, Europe isn'T getting the shaft. However, the simultaneous launch could cause massive supply problems.

I was already getting worried that the PS3 load times would be attrocious, but now it seems they might actually be acceptable.

Thanks much I am.

Okay, a worldwide launch can fit in with the Spring launch I argue. For all those saying 'they already said Spring and missed it, I won't beleive a word they say', all plans are subject to change. The best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglay.

Before you can say 'they missed Spring so we won't Novemeber' you need to know why they missed Spring. If it's a BRD thing, they've been ale to make everything they need except that part. That means between now and launch they can stockpile huge numbers of PS3 as they wait for whatever they are waiting for. Also the Spring launch could have been Japan only, as we all assumed, with US getting later this year, so the shift to a worldwide launch is more a postponement of Japan. Worldwide becomes a new strategy to strengthen the launch folowing an unexpected delay.

The concern with the worldwide launch is that it sounds like 1 million consoles per month after launch, with 1 million at launch. That's spreading things even more thinly than XB360 :oops: . And also makes you wonder what the factories are doing at the moment. Twiddling their thumbs?

Sony have managed to save face somewhat by turning the unwanted delayed launch into a big launch to compensate. Good marketting and business sense. They haven't yet shown the games or examples of the interfaces or Linux etc., but these things wouldn't be expected at a dull old business meeting. The suits get their kicks from Powerpoint presentations, not awesomely rendered FPSes!

In summary, heady goals. Things could go wrong, might well do, but the plans announced are at least what is being aimed at. Some people need to be able to make the distinction between a lie and an unexpected set of circumstances that require a change of plan.

hupfinsgack said:

1) worldwide launch

The price of the thing could be attrocious.

Anybody know anything about the "dev kit specs fixed"?
what are the new specs? any changes to final specs? /* wishful thinking */

Firstly, a big thanks to everyone that contributed to the updates, especially One! *thumbs up*

Titanio said:
I think they could sell it for 499 without the HDD, but just my humble opinion. Not indefinitely, but they'd get those 6m out anyway ;)

I'm quite convinced a $499 price would be with the HD, not without - at least taking the timeframe into concideration (late this year), that the unit will be able to move quicker to a more profitable/cheaper 60nm process (because it's launching later than planned) and in reference to what Microsoft is selling their Xbox360 at, or will be. Selling your 'package' at over $150 of your closest competitor is one thing, but launching it at that higher price without the HD your competitor is, is definately an even more unlikely IMO.

Given that they seem to be wanting to stick with one unit and that that unit will be with a HD included, I'm going to predict no more than $449 in America - although in my humble opinion/speculation, it will be sold at $399 in America. Note that I expect Japan to have the slightly higher price, as will Europe. In America though, I believe it's going to be somewhere between $399 and $449. Why? For the factors I named above, that 60nm could be a viable process not that far off after the launch and that I'd expect Microsoft to be ready to drop the price by $50 for the christmas/holiday timeframe when everyone expects PS3 to be supply limited. Then we'd ultimately have a Xbox360 at $349 (premium) or a $249 (core) competing with PS3 at $399-$449 with the most notable advantage that it will have Blu-Ray over its competitor.

I think when looking at the price - we must not forget to factor in that the costs of your product is one thing - but ultimately, your product has be able to generate demand. Market perception is important and as such, so is its selling price. I think not selling the PS3 for too much is a crucial factor.

Regarding if the HDD is standard or not, could it be possible that the PS3 will require one to operate but it will be sold separately? Resons for this could be that you will be able to choose size and preloaded content (such as Linux pre-installed) but Sony is not ready to announce it just yet and that's why info at present time is vague (other than it's required)?

Xbot360 said:
I reitirate: This is not good at all for Sony if true. Blu-Ray ON TOP of a HDD?

I guess RSX might be coming in pretty cheap with that super small G71 die. Still..

Trust me, I know videogames much more than you guys.

I dont believe it though, and if true Sony will change it at some future point. Maybe claim a "misunderstanding" (aka MS I suppose).

[sarcasm]Tell us oh mighty Xbot360 the secrets of gaming we dont know.

Help us open our eyes and free us from the Evil Sony the Anti-Christ of console gaming.
The demon of lying[/sarcasm]

You know I ve read all your posts in this thread and you dont sound any different from the Sony ******s.

It seems that all these nice sounding announcements (true or not) are bothering you, probably even make you foam??

Alpha_Spartan said:
Where's the game footage? Where's the finished design with specs?

So basically the same company that gave us the initial "Spring 2006" launch date that they NEVER, EVER intended to keep, promises a worldwide launch (which they themselves vehemently denied in the past) in November with 6 million units. I just wanted to get all that down.

Please, don't say stuff to me until November when the damn thing has launched in all three territories. I just don't believe this for one bit. This is another stall tactic by Sony.

Well, from reading GAF, I can say "Mission Accomplished". Kutaragi can now descend into his cave until later this year when he'll come up with another presentation to explain the REAL launch strategy.
You should relax too

We may be extremely excited with the news but it doesnt necessarilly mean that we expect all these to happen at the end

Titanio said:
That's a bit of a stretch..if games can assume the presence of a HDD they might well use it for caching/streaming etc. but not require that they be installed!

I'm still not buying the HDD-in-the-box story though. Inane is correct about pickiness post-360, and I've yet to see an absolutely clear direct quote from anyone at SCE saying "The HDD will ship with every PS3, no split market".

On a different note, Phil Harrison's GDC keynote should actually be interesting now :D

OK, here's the translation of the original Ken Kutaragi quote from One's link:

KEN Kutaragi said:
"Concerning the PS3 the mounting of the HDD is becoming a prerequisite (a requirement). Concerning Games and Software I/we would like to make the installation on the HDD a prerequisite (a requirement)"

So they're at least encouraging HDD installation, maybe because of the load times?

EDIT: Disclaimer: My Japanese is not that good, so sorry for the somewhat strange translation. But I hope everyone gets the idea.
EDIT2: typos

dont think this has been asked or mentioned, but were there any details on the controller? last i heard, sony lost their suit for the dual shock technology

gokickrocks said:
dont think this has been asked or mentioned, but were there any details on the controller? last i heard, sony lost their suit for the dual shock technology
hehe indeed.Thats one important question everyone forgot

Back