Red Bull makes me sleepy

pcchen

Veteran
Supporter
Today I found that the local 7-11 is selling Red Bull. Out of curiosity, I bought one and drank it. Then I felt sleepy and couldn't concentrate on things. Everything opposite to what's written on the can. And it's expensive!

Glad that I won't need to buy another one again, since it's so expensive :) Or maybe should I use it for better sleeping?

some "older" people drink coffee just before bed. Theory goes it makes them sleepy because the caffeine causes slight dehydration in their bodies which makes them tired. You may have just got the same thing.

I don't think I have ever tasted red bull straight but it was given too me in a drink once mixed with bourbon.... which was pretty damn foul but the "last Drinks" cry had allready rung out so wth.

I don't think I have ADD or ADHD becasue I'm sort of the "quiet kind" people. ;)
I think it's probably because that caffine has very little effect on me already. I didn't drink much coffee or tea (a few cups per week). But it doesn't make me sleepy either. I don't know why Red Bull does that. Maybe it's something other than caffine.

Red Bull has loads of Taurine in it.
I have no idea what Taurine is or does.
Hope that helps!

Edit: More info on Taurine..

Taurine is one of the active ingredients commonly found in energy drinks such as Red Bull, and in pills which often feature caffeine and/or other stimulant ingredients. The manufacturers claim that taurine enhances the effects of caffeine, but to date there have been no studies performed to confirm this.

Taurine (from taurus = ox, as it was discovered in ox bile) or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid is an acidic chemical substance found in bile, urine, as well as juices and fluids of muscle, lungs and nerve tissue of many animals, and plays several important roles in the body and is essential to newborns of many species. While it is often referred to as an amino acid, this is an inaccurate categorization since it does not contain any carboxylic acid functional group. Taurine may also come from synthetic materials.

The Taurine in Red Bull has been confirmed to come from synthetic sources and not Ox urine. Phew!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like energy drinks, they all taste like crap. But RedBull has the funniest commercials ever.

_xxx_ said:
Where do you get that with Thailand? AFAIK it's an austrian company.

Industrials from Thailand hold the majority of the company and supplied the original recipe.

wikipedia said:
Dietrich Mateschitz traveled to Thailand and saw that the tuk-tuk (rickshaw) drivers drank a substance to keep them energized throughout the day. After some alterations to the recipe, and a flavor modification for the public, Red Bull was born. He adapted it from the Thai beverage Krating Daeng (กระทิงแดง), which translates into the English language as Red Bull. In 1984 he approached the local firm TC Pharmaceuticals to license it. They agreed, and took a 51% stake in his firm, Red Bull GmbH. The architecturally spectacular headquarters are located in Fuschl am See.

Back