South Park Loses Isaac Hayes

Well, after hearing this, I'm sure I can live without Chef on South Park. Damn, what an ass.

And btw, thanks for the article, drpepper. Was a good read. It's pretty amazing just how much money the "Church of Scientology" is pilfering out of people.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, creators of the crudely animated cartoon hit, issued a quirky statement, filled with references to Scientology and the science-fiction writings of church founder L. Ron Hubbard, suggesting Scientology was behind the scheduling change.

"So, Scientology, you have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for Earth has just begun," the pair wrote.

"Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

Parker and Stone at its best :p

EDIT: Oops, sry, I've quoted you for convenience sake, didn't want ya to get sued by Scientology :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to take my name out of that quote.

Edit: No worries. It was just incorrect to quote me for that :)

Curses and drat? :LOL: And how the heck do you anozizizisise (or whatever) something? Hubbard must have pulled deeply on the crackpipe that day when he invented that term... Well, I'm not actually sure they HAD crack back then when he died, but you know what I mean. :)

I'm a big sci-fi nut and have quite a libary. Tried to read the series before I knew the tie in with Scientolgy but didn't finish the 1st book. For me it was a swash buckling adventure but not a good read and certaily not good science fiction.

IgnorancePersonified said:
I'm a big sci-fi nut and have quite a libary. Tried to read the series before I knew the tie in with Scientolgy but didn't finish the 1st book. For me it was a swash buckling adventure but not a good read and certaily not good science fiction.
You, Sir, are in dire need of some auditing.

Scientology is disgusting. They are by several orders of magnitude the most litigious "religious" organisation.

They do fling quite a lot of shit at x members and people the just don't like. Much of it untrue. e.g. this: http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org/extremists/index.html

L.Ron himself has been quoted as saying, on many occasions, things to the effect of 'religion is where the real money is'. Scientology was just created to stroke his ego and suck as much money out of the pockets of as many rubes as possible.

High OT level members are basically self-censoring (if their opinion is "wrong" they need auditing costing thousands of dollars to 'fix' them again). Medicine affecting the brain and psychiatrists are considered great evils within the organisation(gee, I wonder why!).

How come scientology is successfull?
How come people don't realize they're being brainwashed?

I was watching a rerun of South Park last night and after the episode they had a promo for next week's episode where Chef returns. I think the name of the episode is "Chef Returns".

Was this all a joke?

rashly said:
I was watching a rerun of South Park last night and after the episode they had a promo for next week's episode where Chef returns. I think the name of the episode is "Chef Returns".

Was this all a joke?

Nope:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/03/21/south-park-premiere.html

It only takes them a couple days to make an episode, so this one should be pretty entertaining. I hope it has something to do with Chef getting involved with Scientology. Though turning Chef gay would make for a pretty funny episode as well. :)

That's pretty petty, though. I'd like to think their humor was a bit more highbrow than dogging a former colleague who decided he didn't want to participate with them any more.

Chalnoth said:
Well, after hearing this, I'm sure I can live without Chef on South Park. Damn, what an ass.

And btw, thanks for the article, drpepper. Was a good read. It's pretty amazing just how much money the "Church of Scientology" is pilfering out of people.

And that's different than any other church.... How? ;)

RussSchultz said:
That's pretty petty, though. I'd like to think their humor was a bit more highbrow than dogging a former colleague who decided he didn't want to participate with them any more.
Have you actually watched the show much Russ? South Park ≠ "highbrow". :LOL:

Natoma said:
And that's different than any other church.... How?
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Agreed. :LOL:

Natoma said:
And that's different than any other church.... How? ;)
I'd say it's a question of scale. You don't have any significant number of people signing over their entire fortunes to other churches. Most ministers live rather meager existences, and most churches run on shoestring budgets. Yes, they do need money to function, but at least they don't get people to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for church services. The usual situation is one in which all payments are volunteer.

JBark said:
Nope:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/03/21/south-park-premiere.html

It only takes them a couple days to make an episode, so this one should be pretty entertaining. I hope it has something to do with Chef getting involved with Scientology. Though turning Chef gay would make for a pretty funny episode as well. :)

It would be rather surreal if the kids think Chef is strangely different, but can't quite figure out why until the end. He looks the same, but his voice is off and his affectation is different, possibly more awkward.

The big punchline would have to be that Chef lectures the kids on the pitfalls of having to bring in a different voice actor.

It would be a very high-brow breaking of the fourth wall. As such, it is unlikely that it will be done that way.

Chalnoth said:
I'd say it's a question of scale. You don't have any significant number of people signing over their entire fortunes to other churches. Most ministers live rather meager existences, and most churches run on shoestring budgets. Yes, they do need money to function, but at least they don't get people to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for church services. The usual situation is one in which all payments are volunteer.

As far as christian churches go, it is mandatory to pay 10% of your pre-tax income in Tithes. That's a pretty hefty chunk of change, particularly when you consider that there are millions of christians in this country who tithe.

I'm sure if you looked at Christianity as a corporation, it'd be, by far, the richest company in the world many times over.

Natoma said:
I'm sure if you looked at Christianity as a corporation, it'd be, by far, the richest company in the world many times over.
I think you would be surpised to find you are incorrect :)

Back