Suuare Enix doesn't know what PS3 will be?

bbot said:
Right now, we still don't know what type of machine the PS3 is

It's a popcorn machine, and it's capable of producing 1 billion popcorns per minute, salted or sweet. Or 500M salted and 500M sweet at the same time.

They were asked about a FF-XI version for the PS3 ... now they don't know if the HD is optional or not, so they can't say if they will port the game to the PS3 as the HD is really important for that game.

Fredi

McFly said:
They were asked about a FF-XI version for the PS3 ... now they don't know if the HD is optional or not, so they can't say if they will port the game to the PS3 as the HD is really important for that game.

Fredi

exactly what i was thinking actually .

Did microsoft knew? they announced that just couple of months before the launch. until then, they claimed a harddisk was standard.

hey69 said:
Did microsoft knew? they announced that just couple of months before the launch. until then, they claimed a harddisk was standard.

And when we heard seemed to be around the same time developers heard..

SKU composition wouldn't be something that would be finalised early, certainly, particularly with regards to something like a HDD, which we know is/was fairly up in the air.

hey69 said:

if you listen to allard they told dev's in 2004 not to expect a HDD to always be present

scooby_dooby said:
if you listen to allard they told dev's in 2004 not to expect a HDD to always be present

thats not the same as shipping with a harddisk or not standard out of the box

hey69 said:
thats not the same as shipping with a harddisk or not standard out of the box

Yeah, but I remember hearing long before X360 launch that MS were telling the developers to make their games work without the HD.

london-boy said:
It's a popcorn machine, and it's capable of producing 1 billion popcorns per minute, salted or sweet. Or 500M salted and 500M sweet at the same time.

Too funny! :D

Dr Evil said:
Yeah, but I remember hearing long before X360 launch that MS were telling the developers to make their games work without the HD.

That may be true, although a couple of devs seemed to be taken by surprise.

It's not just a matter of standard or not standard, though, but also the distribution of things like HDD bundles vs non-bundles, peripheral availability and pricing etc. Those would liekly be factors in deciding whether to bring a HDD-dependent game also, if the HDD were not to be standard (and may also suggest that the HDD is NOT standard, and the likes of the FFXI team are waiting to see what how the above issues will now factor in).

I don't think the developers were taken by suprise as much as they just weren't allowed to comment on the matter before MS released the info, they probably pissed as soon as they heard it.

Yes, Microsoft have kept developers updated on the Xbox 360 hardware, they knew that the Xbox 360 HD would not always be present as evident by some developer comments scattered around the net.

Also, Microsoft technically hasn't lied when they said that all Xbox 360's will have a hard drive because all Xbox 360's do have one. The Xbox 360 core system isn't considered 'the Xbox 360' but merely a branch down from the system. It was pretty much PR play.

SE are still probably a bit pissed that Sony removed the HDD from the PStwo all together and are probably waiting to see what they plan to do with the PS3.

The problem with the PS2 was the HDD was never made much use of, MS are making the HDD as an important part of XBL so even if games don't use it the HDD would still have a lot of value to the system, so the odd game that depends on the HDD would have a decent future on the system aswell.

McFly said:

Fredi

Big deal there's gonna be 360 games that require a hard drive I"m sure Sony will do the same thing. A 360 without a HD is pretty worthless as far as extra's and online without the HD I'm sure the PS3 will be the same way and a standard HD is pretty unlikely if they want to hit the 400$ mark.

46188.png

bbot said:
Shouldn't SE know if Sony will include a hdd by now if Sony will launch PS3 for spring 2006?
if its released in July there are still around 4 months till then.

I dont see a problem in that.Most chances are devs are informed to develop without the HD in mind, without completely ruling out that Sony wont add a HD at the end.

It wouldnt be a problem even if they decide to add it one day before launch.

They only thing that happens here is that it pulls back devs from developing HD compatible games now.

Back