NA February game sales down (+ early hardware numbers)

Titanio

Legend
For those interested..

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145806.html

Another monthly report from data trackers NPD, another round of disappointing numbers.

According to NPD stats, US video game software sales for February amounted to more than $340 million, a 13 percent drop from February 2005. That marks the sixth straight month that has seen declining year-on-year software sales. However, the news wasn't all bad. While software sales were down, the hardware market was strong, jumping 22 percent from the previous February, to more than $200 million in sales.

And here's some early indicators of hardware sales for the month:

According to industry sources, during the month, more than 160,000 Xbox 360s were sold. That compares to more than 300,000 PlayStation 2's, more than 170,000 PSPs, and over 150,000 Nintendo DS units sold during the month of February.

The PS2 number is surprising - that's up on January, while the rest are down or the same. 360 is quite significantly down - isn't supply supposed to be getting better? :???:

Titanio said:
The PS2 number is surprising - that's up on January,
Not suprisng at all,it's March now and people are going back to spending more after taking a break after Xmas. The ps2 is a very visible popular platform with tonnes of great software.
People like myself and others predicted a long time ago that the PS2 would still be outselling the 360.
360 is quite significantly down - isn't supply supposed to be getting better? :???:

I've never beleived it was entirely a supply issue but I won't go their again. The market has never been as diverse and strong in terms of options for gamers,and until the average gamer see's a very clear reason to buy the 360 over the already established platforms,with a $400 price and $60 games the 360 sales will be slower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it probably answers those questions about Microsoft's financial report numbers for YTD 2005 not adding up at all with NPD's total for NA. There was speculation that a large shipment of units did not make the December window and were actually sold in January, but Microsoft counted them as December sales for the purposes of ther financials. This would have artificially inflated the January numbers over what the actual supply rate could have achieved.

I think this is why we're seeing a decline in Feb's numbers, because there was a large portion of sales in January from a late December shipment.

That's a pretty reasonable explanation Mmmkay, hadn't thought of that :)

Although I'm still surprised by PS2. These were sales for Feb also, not March..I figured Feb and January would be about as cool as each other.

Supply is supposed to be getting better but where I am located it hasn't happened yet. A couple of the game stores I was at in the last week still have many (10+) pre-orders that they have yet to fulfill. Looking at my friends list I would say the GR:AW could be/is a system seller, the only catch is that there needs to be some systems to sell. Again though, I can only speak to my limited 5 store experience in Denver. I still cannot find a hard drive anywhere, so it sucks for the people that are getting cores just to get the system.

OT: Last night I signed-up for the pre-pre-order list for the PS3 and Rev at Gamestop. The pre-pre is designed so that they will call me to tell me when they are accepting pre-orders.

There are 360 cores in every Walmart I go into now, usually about 5 just sitting there.
The Premiums are still harder to get, but not impossible.

ninzel said:
There are 360 cores in every Walmart I go into now, usually about 5 just sitting there.
The Premiums are still harder to get, but not impossible.

That would explain why I don't see them, the devil incarnate has them, aka Wal-Mart...the last part of my statement still stands, at least I believe it does, that it is pretty hard to find the hdd. Either way, not really a big deal to me, but I do empathize with the people that want the 360 instead of the Core. Early pre-ordering can be your friend...
Also, was that actual product or display boxes. even the game stores I went to had boxes but no units to sell, same thing with CompUSA and Best Buy.

NucNavST3 said:
That would explain why I don't see them, the devil incarnate has them, aka Wal-Mart...the last part of my statement still stands, at least I believe it does, that it is pretty hard to find the hdd. Either way, not really a big deal to me, but I do empathize with the people that want the 360 instead of the Core. Early pre-ordering can be your friend...
Also, was that actual product or display boxes. even the game stores I went to had boxes but no units to sell, same thing with CompUSA and Best Buy.

I've had this conversation with others but it's a fair question. They were actual boxes for sale, not the "For display only" boxes.I think too many hardcore gamers are assuming places like EB will have the best availibility but it's the very mainstream places like Walmart that are getting the most. I was in EB yesterday and they had nothing, not even Cores. I walked across the parking lot and Walmart had 5 Cores. The manager at that Walmart doesn't even display the Premiums for what he said as "theft" reasons. You have to specificaly ask for the Premium, at which point he goes to the front to the managers office and checks there.

Damn the PS2 is still kicking as if it was just released 2 years ago. I wonder what will the March numbers look like. And I also wonder what the PSP numbers look like due to Sony releases two 9.0+ rated games on the same day plus Pursuit Force launching a week eariler and Splinter Cell releasing at the end of the month?:oops:

It appears that the market for $149 systems is hot (and always will be), regardless of how old the technoogy is.

I think the $300-$500 consoles are not for the squeamish. :p

The launch of the 360 in Australia is probably going to impact hardware supply. They're going to stockpile around 100K units for that I woud assume, if not more.

I think Magnum is saying that PS2 was NOT outsold by the cheaper PSone after it launched. IIRC, that is true, of the US at least (although it continued to ratchet up considerable numbers, close enough to PS2's, in the early months).

I had hoped for a price war to drop the PS2 to around 99.00 by now .. but at this rate, I don't see that happening until PS3 comes along. Even then Sony may not drop the price lest PS2 sales eat into PS3.

Titanio said:
I think Magnum is saying that PS2 was NOT outsold by the cheaper PSone after it launched. IIRC, that is true, of the US at least (although it continued to ratchet up considerable numbers, close enough to PS2's, in the early months).
yep

the cheaper consoles will always do really well (especially with the PS brand name tatooed on parents brains) as attested to by some of my friends who are older parents and would NEVER! spend more than $149 on a game machine for their kids. :smile:

I mean really, these people are the antithesis of early adopters (and cheapskates to boot) ;)

Edit:
not to mention that they couldn't tell the difference between graphics and gameplay of the two systems (between generations) unless I sat them down with side by side TVs and pointed them all out, and even then it would not add up to $200 more in their minds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Evil said:
It probably was because PS2 had massive supply problems, much worse than what X360 had.
Well, demand was higher for PS2, it launched earlier but done 2M by March 2001.

Xbox360 will have to triple monthly sales and do 3M in Nov/Dec to have a chance at being the market leader, IMO. That or PS3 sales will have to be far behind the PS2 curve. I don't think X360 has it in it.

Karma Police said:
160,000 per month just in N.A. is pretty good, isn't it?

NO! The PS2 did 300,000 (still at $149.99 and at the end of its lifecycle) that should give you a good hint to your answer.

Back