Proposition: Reputation Be Disabled As Criterion For "promotion"

lol, just read through this thread.

I love you guys. :LOL:

And to anyone who's still reading this thread for it's original intention - listen to the guys who have been here the longest. They clearly know what they're talking about, because if they didn't this place wouldn't be here. They also know how things work around here the best, and I'm sure there decisions about how to run things come with experience. As was previously said, this is not a RPSC focused forum. If you're looking for that type of discussion, there are a million other sites to register with.

We're here for the tech. :cool:

Kanyamagufa said:
. As was previously said, this is not a RPSC focused forum. If you're looking for that type of discussion, there are a million other sites to register with.

We're here for the tech. :cool:
....well, I try.:cry:

geo said:
People who treat B3D as being principally a political site really ought to save us all (and themselves) from these kind of posts and go find a real political site to play at. RPSC is a membership benefit for graphics enthusiasts, not the reason this site is here.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

How about this suggestion? Posts in the RPSC forum don't count toward post-count. Why not make rep in the General forums invalid as well? B3D is a tech site, not an RPSC site.

Karma Police said:
How about this suggestion? Posts in the RPSC forum don't count toward post-count. Why not make rep in the General forums invalid as well? B3D is a tech site, not an RPSC site.
That's how it works already. Posts in General, RPSC, & Feedback don't go towards your postcount.

digitalwanderer said:
That's how it works already. Posts in General, RPSC, & Feedback don't go towards your postcount.

You mis-read my post. I'll rephrase.

Currently, posts do not count towards a persons post-count. As posts do not count, why should rep count as well? Disable reputation in the RPSC, General, and Feedback forums. Make rep only count on posts in the tech forums.

General deserves rep, lots of nice posts there quite often. I agree about RPSC and feedback, though.

Several interesting Rep mods, including the one just mentioned, here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

Edit: Reading a bit further, it appears to be a plug-in too, which I'd think would make it a bit more attractive as it isn't mucking about with base code.

The max rep power cap mod would address another common concern I've heard expressed around here. I'd prolly reccomend that for around 10. . .which would be 6k posts (which gives the Regulars their due) + 4 green squares. . . or up to 9k posts and one square, etc. And also means it'd take at least three smacks to turn a n00b from green to red. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
geo said:
Several interesting Rep mods, including the one just mentioned, here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

Edit: Reading a bit further, it appears to be a plug-in too, which I'd think would make it a bit more attractive as it isn't mucking about with base code.

The max rep power cap mod would address another common concern I've heard expressed around here. I'd prolly reccomend that for around 10. . .which would be 6k posts (which gives the Regulars their due) + 4 green squares. . . or up to 9k posts and one square, etc. And also means it'd take at least three smacks to turn a n00b from green to red. . .

Yes! Yes Oh God yes! Please Dave do this.......

Lol... to bring this slightly back on-topic, but not really (somehow making a whole new thread about this seems too dramatic)...

I want to encourage people to note their identities when posting negative rep. It's ironic that I actually felt guilty when I received my neg rep a couple weeks back, because, now that I've read the AEG thread for the first time, I realize I received that neg rep because someone thought I was insulting a person who'd disclosed their AEG ties, when in fact I wasn't even referring to them at all (in fact it was an off-hand deferential comment regarding some early Oblivion benchmarks). I didn't even know what AEG meant! I'm over it now, but it seems like, when you have some conviction in your neg rep, you should at least state who you are.

On a related note, I think it might be wise for the mods to emphasize that positive rep is really intended for encouraging adherence to the ToS (that is, if (as I've read so far) they definitely want rep to be used in this manner). I've gotten some positive rep Ididn't really deserve, either, so this isn't about my rep balance -- I'm just sayin, it's frustrating to be criticized anonymously. :???:

Back