Could revolution actually be the number 1 console next gen?

basanti

Banned
Look at PS3 and Xbox 360, 2 graphical powerhouses fighting each other. Each giving away alot for the developers to make exclusives for them, offering alot of incentives as to why this is better than Sony and this is better than Microsoft etc...

But on the other hand Revolution is a console for which you need to make exclusives to make it work with the controller. the controller will be the attraction for buyers so devs will make games FOR the controller which translates into exclusiveness. I have a sneaky feeling if developers especially 3rd and 2nd party jump on the Nintendo bandwagon even 20-40% more than they did with Gamecube, Revolution might sell more consoles than either Sony or Microsoft in USA and especially in Japan

PSP vs DS doesnt matter because westerns like power in the palm of thier hands while japanese like more innovation.

Thats why you see Kids in America walking with high tech devices while Kids in Japan walking with Neopet devices

PSP vs DS doesnt matter because westerns like power in the palm of thier hands while japanese like more innovation.

I also think the handheld market plays by different rules, apparantly. I dont think graphics are quiet the influence they are on full size machines.

I mean look at PSP. It's really nifty and all, but it never was cutting edge. Initially it was maybe a slight notch below PS2/Xbox level. But now with next gen it falls further back.

Point is you want cutting edge graphics, a handheld is not what you want.

However I still think in time PSP will clearly crush DS. Even now it sells quiet well even in Japan. Sure it doesn't match the DS in Japan, but it sells very well.

Now we hear today the PSP and 360 are apparantly the best selling platforms in Europe so far in 2006.

To answer the question asked: No.

BRiT said:
To answer the question asked: No.
The internet wasn't really in the full swing it is now back before the Playstation was realeased, but I bet if you asked the question "Could Playstation actually be the number 1 console next gen?" on a usenet newsgroup you'd probably have heard a resounding NO. You'd probably have heard all sorts of predictions about Nintendo being #1, Sony #2, and Sega a distant #3. Well, they were right about Sega...

OtakingGX said:
The internet wasn't really in the full swing it is now back before the Playstation was realeased, but I bet if you asked the question "Could Playstation actually be the number 1 console next gen?" on a usenet newsgroup you'd probably have heard a resounding NO. You'd probably have heard all sorts of predictions about Nintendo being #1, Sony #2, and Sega a distant #3. Well, they were right about Sega...

Actually back then, there was a lot of great press, talk and following behind Sony's PSX. Everyone on campus who had SNES sold them to pickup Sega Genesis, and then sold them to pick up PSXs. When it came out, the only thing that offered even a bit of competition was PCs with Doom/DoomII/Heretic/Jedi Knights or Macs with Marathon. IAt least that's how the gaming scene was on my campus back then. Even way back then, Nintendo was seen as a console that pandered to kids (target market much younger than any of the other consoles). I'll see if I can dig up any of the original discussions I remember being involved in way back then when PSX was just coming to light.

Uh, hasn't there been a forecast of "Nintendo's massive comeback" for the past 3 console generations? Yet, they have ended up further and further behind with each successive generation. Yeah, it could happen. It just looks very unlikely.

A newcomer is more likely to capture the industry by surprise than one that has been in the industry from the beginning and has witnessed weakening market position year after year for a decade or so.

basanti said:
I'm a nintendo fan (obviously) but why is it that nobody ever awknowledges that the biggest difference between the two hand-helds is the comfort factor of two totally new approaches to making handhelds? They each have their advantages and disadvantages. If you don't think comfort factor might ever so slightly matter when you have demos in stores that you control with something that looks just like a remote control, then your crazy. I think that Revolution will definitely get second place in Japan and maybe second place around the rest of the world. However, I have a feeling that sony will lose a lot of marketshare.

They'll need to eat into MS's marketshare first before they can dream of touching Sony's. Viceversa for MS eating further into Nintendo's marketshare. Essentially, there will be a fight between 2nd and 3rd place before there is a fight with the 1st place holder. This simply cannot be ignored.

basanti said:
Look at PS3 and Xbox 360, 2 graphical powerhouses fighting each other. Each giving away alot for the developers to make exclusives for them, offering alot of incentives as to why this is better than Sony and this is better than Microsoft etc...

But on the other hand Revolution is a console for which you need to make exclusives to make it work with the controller. the controller will be the attraction for buyers so devs will make games FOR the controller which translates into exclusiveness.

It´s not that easy. Devs will most likely bet on the plattforms where the money is at. Both PS3/360 offers far more potential buyers than the Rev plattform. It was the same thing with PS2 and NGC. Devs put more effort in the PS2 game than they did with the NGC games, therefore there were few games that really pushed the ngc like the games pushed the PS2.

We can see it already, look at the leaked UBIsoft games list. PS3/360 domintes the list... so it seems that Rev will still get fewer games compared to PS3/360..

Well they could, but it isn't very likely. There are quite a lot of factors you need to take into consideration, and we still don't know about most of them.

First there's Revolution itself. Much of its success will depend on the name, the price, wether or not the 'revolutionary features' impress, the way Nintendo markets it and succeeds in luring both gamers as new audiences alike, the software line-up, third-parties, the quality of the games, wether or not Revolution gets a lot of retail support, the appeal of GameCube BC and the line-up/price of the Virtual Console, wether or not Revolution will be a inexpensive platform to develop for, the unannounced features of the Revolution controller plus extensions, connectivity between GBA and NDS (Nintendo being able to transplant their handheld successes over to the console market),...

Then there's Microsoft and Sony as competitors. If Nintendo gains too much momentum, they will do everything to try and stop them. Not to forget multimedia features, HD,... that are likely to be absent in Revolution (although Matsushita/Panasonic or Sharp might lend a hand), while being a large feature in both PS3 as Xbox 360.

Much will depend on the coming months really, and Nintendo's ability to radically change their console efforts.

basanti said:
But on the other hand Revolution is a console for which you need to make exclusives to make it work with the controller. the controller will be the attraction for buyers so devs will make games FOR the controller which translates into exclusiveness.

And that is precisely why it will end up in last place next-gen.

The main attraction for any game console should be the GAMES. Its the games that sell the system, not the controller. People don't care about the controller if they have no games to play on it.

And Nintendo is the absolute worst when it comes to providing games. They have minimal 3rd party support, and their own 1st party titles are usually spread out by months, or even a year or more between good games. If I had to pick a single word to describe Nintendo, it would be Drought.

Nintendo doesn't stand a chance next-gen because when push comes to shove, people will go where the games are, and that's not towards a Nintendo console.

It's possible, but still highly unlikely, it will probably come in last place as far as numbers sold are concerned. Not that, that would make it a failure, as long as it makes a deceant profit it's a winner.

Anyway it could happen if:

- It's very cheap
- It sells to people who already own one of the other two consoles because of the controller or just the fact it's different.
- It sells to PC gamers who don't usually like consoles.
- It sells to people who arn't considered gamers at all. The type of people who at most would normally just play a simple flash game for 20 minutes. These people might buy it because they saw it in a shop and it looked fun. Although their just as likely to buy a slim line ps2 to be frank.
- People buy it as a drunken party machine. The only time I play a console is at social events and then I don't play games that are particularry in depth.
- It doesn't get the same bullshit kiddy image as Gamecube. It doesn't want a hardcore gamer image either.
- Sony does something really stupid.
- God likes it.

It looks like a much stronger console than game cube atleast and I don't think it will fail. Not in the sense that Nintendo will loose money on it and stop supporting it before the generation is up. Last place isn't so bad when you still get a medal :LOL:

Yes, looking at is potencial as a "second machine" alone.

Plus innovation, low prices, free online, lots of exclussives (yes they already have a lot of them), total BC, cheap for dev.

And if it is indeed close to the others (in 480p), do have a micro and a few more features, and ~150$, then I cant see how it will fail.

pc999 said:
Yes, looking at is potencial as a "second machine" alone.

You can't get to first by planning on being second.

The fact that it is a "second machine" for most people indicates that the majority of their gaming money goes to another console.

It may already be fact but will the rev ship with a conventional controller as well?

Its very likely some games that come out multi-platform will use conventional controls and its hard to say how well these would sell on the Rev unless the system shipped with one. I just do not know how likely it would be for a developer to do one version with the new control scheme and two versions with conventional control.

Its certainly vital for Nintendo to have practically all their games utilizing the new controller. This will certainly help other developers as well.

Nintendo has always dominated the handheld space. Sony is doing well against them in Europe and the US but getting clobbered in Japan. The Japanese seems to like the non games for the system and have taken a shining to the new controls. Hard to say how much lasting power the magic pen will have.

As I said, the PSP has done well in the other regions despite the considerable price difference.

Nintendo has always done well for its self in making money. THeir games have always sold well but they are so loved for THEIR games, I think sales of 3rd party stuff tend to suffer a bit. You truly buy a Nintendo console or handheld for THEIR games.This is not true in every instance but is a general rule I think.

THey have to sell the idea of the new controller.

If you are a multi console owner, I cannot see how you would want to buy a Rev version of a game if it used standard controls.

I have a 360, eagerly awaiting the PS3.

The Rev is intriguing but I want to see how the controls are implemented.

I have not owned a Nintendo console in the past (believe it or not) as I have never cared for what Nintendo comes out. Not that they are bad. They are certainly not.

The 3rd parties will have to come thru for me to buy unless Nintendo does new stuff and not just pulling out the usual franchises.

Powderkeg said:
You can't get to first by planning on being second.

The fact that it is a "second machine" for most people indicates that the majority of their gaming money goes to another console.

Dont agree, I used "second machine" between "" because it can be read in multiple ways, but what I mean is that it is very probably that many will have Rev as well as a XB/PS but not prefering one or anouther then the money gaming will depend on the gaming offering like exclussives/games overall or in the case of multiplatforms (assuming that there will be) controls/features/price... So if they can secure good games (it seems they have a lot of theird partys interested) I think they will have as much money gaming as the "prymary one".

After all I own both GC and XB, but the only reason I buy more games for XB is because they have more exclussives and the multiplatforms games are better on it (HDD, gfx, online if you want...) , but I really (if specs are enought) I dont see reason to that happen for must people this time.

Plus there will be many that will have only the Rev, specially if they can indeed get new gamers.

Back