G73 has 4 Quads/16 pipelines?

trumphsiao said:
177M transistor counts comprise of 4 Quad Pixel Shaders and 4 Dispatch processors which seems to be amazing if it really does
well considering that with the G71 they either cut somthing out of the G70, or reduced transistor redudency. the G73 being a 4 quad core isnt that amazing...
the G73 has 40% less transistors then the G70, if they would have the exact core makeup then a 4 quad core should have 33% less transistors then the 6 quad one. so when you count in the reduced transistor count that we've seen intreduced with the 90nm part. and if the G73 has a similar core make up as the G71 then 177M transistors seem to fit a 4 quad G73 rather nicely, since 177M transistors are raughly 35-36% less then G71's 278M.
NV seems to have alot of backup plans since the FX days, if the 4 Quad isn't some sort of defect redudency, then they scored big time with the G73. these cores can be overclocked easily, and have an extra quad? if so i dont see much problem of it taking down on the RV560 when it get released. alltough if the RV570 will have a 256bit memory bus and decent speeds combined with enough TMU's/Shader units, its going to be out of the 4qG73's league. but still the fact that nV will make tons of G73 cores, that can be turned into cards that are 20-25% faster then the GF7600GT with a push of a button, or rather with the touch of a slodner is pretty amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
DOGMA1138 said:
well considering that with the G71 they either cut somthing out of the G70, or reduced transistor redudency. the G73 being a 4 quad core isnt that amazing...
the G73 has 40% less transistors then the G70, if they would had the exact core makeup then a 4 quad core should have 33% less transistors then the 6 quad one. so when you count in the reduced transistor count that we've seen intreduced with the 90nm part, the 177M transistors seem to fit a 4 quad G73 rather nicely.
NV seems to have alot of backup plans since the FX days, if the 4 Quad isn't some sort of defect redudency, then they scored big time with the G73. these cores can be overclocked easily, and have an extra quad? if so i dont see much problem of it taking down on the RV560 when it get released. alltough if the RV570 will have a 256bit memory bus and decent speeds combined with enough TMU's/Shader units, its going to be out of the 4qG73's league. but still the fact that nV will make tons of G73 cores, that can be turned into cards that are 20-25% faster then the GF7600GT with a push of a button, or rather with the touch of a slodner is pretty amazing.

If RV570 is truly a 3/4 of R580 pixel shader configuration and priced as 300~345 usd SKU .I think it would be a best bang for buck product .

Last edited by a moderator:
aye, the R570 is looking rather nifty if it will live up to its expectations that is. tho 345usd is tad too much i think, X1800XT is priced around 300ish at newegg.
any way after thinking bit more aobut rough math for the G73 quad mistery, its looking more and more like a "true" 4 Quad core.
G73 has 36% less transistors then the G71, if their quads have identical transistor values, then considering that the G73 has only 5 vertex proccessors, and a simpler memory controler. 177M transistors should me more then enough to fit 4 full quads in, and even leave room for any sort of defects redudency they(if) using in their GPU's

dizietsma said:
Naughty Bob, his nose will be as long as a GX2 today I bet :D
Bob was specifically replying here to an initial article of RivaTuner indicating 16 quads - so far all I've seen is a reiteration of a new release of RivaTuner reporting 4 quads. Again, is there reports of this extra quad being enabled?

dizietsma said:
Naughty Bob, his nose will be as long as a GX2 today I bet :D

I sincerely doubt it. What I suppose is that the register containing quad info is structured the same for all chips and what RT shows is just a placeholder.

_xxx_ said:
I sincerely doubt it. What I suppose is that the register containing quad info is structured the same for all chips and what RT shows is just a placeholder.

Placeholder for what? Give me at least one logical reason of using such pipe control scheme and leaving one unused (0-hardwired!) bit in the middle of pixel pipe control bitfield.

Unwinder said:
Placeholder for what?

The same register size for 3 and 4-quad parts. In the 3-quad part, the apropriate bits for the 4th quad are don't-care for example. I don't know for sure, just guessing. But I don't think they'll redesign that part of the chip (some EEPROM?) for every single SKU, they'll probably just design that once and use it for all chips, disabling what's unneeded.

Back