Record set for hottest temperature on Earth

Natoma

Veteran
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11732814/

Scientists have produced superheated gas exceeding temperatures of 2 billion degrees Kelvin, or 3.6 billion degrees Fahrenheit.

This is hotter than the interior of our sun, which is about 15 million degrees Kelvin, and also hotter than any previous temperature ever achieved on Earth, they say.

They don't know how they did it.

"At first, we were disbelieving," said project leader Chris Deeney. "We repeated the experiment many times to make sure we had a true result."

Thermonuclear explosions are estimated to reach only tens to hundreds of millions of degrees Kelvin; other nuclear fusion experiments have achieved temperatures of about

500 million degrees Kelvin, said a spokesperson at the lab.

A very strong magnetic field compresses the plasma into the thickness of a pencil lead. This causes the plasma to release energy in the form of X-rays, but the X-rays are usually only several million degrees.

Sandia researchers still aren’t sure how the machine achieved the new record. Part of it is probably due to the replacement of the tungsten steel wires with slightly thicker steel wires, which allow the plasma ions to travel faster and thus achieve higher temperatures.

One thing that puzzles scientists is that the high temperature was achieved after the plasma’s ions should have been losing energy and cooling. Also, when the high temperature was achieved, the Z machine was releasing more energy than was originally put in, something that usually occurs only in nuclear reactions.

Sandia consultant Malcolm Haines theorizes that some unknown energy source is involved, which is providing the machine with an extra jolt of energy just as the plasma ions are beginning to slow down.

Uhm, accidental discovery of controlled fusion perhaps? Or maybe Zero point energy or something like that. :LOL:

That's pretty much amazing, I thought I was going to have to wait at least ten years before this happened. Does this mean that we may see nuclear fusion before 2020?

Cool beans.

That image of the machine is say to crazy to be a desktop backround :oops:
Doesn't mix well with my icons...

Humus said:
Nice. Looks like it could have been taken from Quake4. :cool:
Cool discovery (pun intended). As for the picture: Can anyone spot Richard Dean Anderson or Ben Browder?

epicstruggle said:
If they can use magnetic field to contain/compress heat in, why couldnt we keep heat out? Travel to the center of the sun/earth, shields (a la star trek), ....

Maybe it's easier to confine a small amount of plasma, but much harder to deflect a very large amount of plasma?

epicstruggle said:
If they can use magnetic field to contain/compress heat in, why couldnt we keep heat out? Travel to the center of the sun/earth, shields (a la star trek), ....
Because of the "hairy ball" phenomenon I guess. Ie, we can contain plasma and stuff inside a toroid because all the magnetic field lines point in a singular direction (well, sort of), while there would be at least one irregularity in the field on a sphere. And I suppose it would just be a tad difficult to stick the sun inside a toroid before we go visit it... ;)

great stuff.
That pic looks AWESOME! It's TOTALLY something you expect to see in Half-Life, at the Black Mesa research facility... I was like, OMG! when I saw it. Crazy stuff! I had no idea scientists built things like this. How does it work? I gotta check wikipedia like, NOW.

I remember that picture years ago from a National Geographic mag. After reading the article I went on a "current state of fusion tech" spree; reading about the H3 in moonrocks, and the international fight for the Japan & France locations for the next fusion reactor, etc. Cool stuf, but not much happening that I've heard of recently.

well I hope they don't make it so hot that time and space start burning and the resultant blaze engulfs the milky way requiring the local branch of fquakillians to back burn a volume with a radius of 300,000 lightyears. That would piss me off!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this is big enough to modify the iter project or even make the tokamak design to be built in the iter project useless?

Diplo said:
How do you acurrately measure temperatures at that extreme? Could it not just be a mis-reading?

My thoughts exactly. I think they used equations based on the elements used to determine temperatire as opposed to measuring. But the second law of thermodynamics makes it impossible to produce more energy than existed in the combined components of the experiment. Nuclear reactions only appear to produce more output becuse it breaks the strong force... the energy of which is exponentially higher/stronger than the EM force.

Back