Shadow Of The Colossus: Making off!

Berserk

Newcomer
Shadow Of The Colossus: Making of!

Hey guys, i thought this site might interest you. It's a great making of from SotC translated from this site http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20051207/3dwa.htm

But this is the English translation:

http://www.dyingduck.com/sotc/making_of_sotc.html

Great read! It's wonderful to see that the developers went into great effort to use the PS2 to full capacity. Fur, HDR, Motion Blur,...

Ow yeah this is funny: SOTC in concept stages, really eraly in development :p

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7639779221008998304

The monsters look ugly, and the horse's shadow is just a stick figure :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbot360 said:
This game had terrible image qaulity though.

Ran <25 FPS typically also.

Yea, well, you have bad image quality!

Seriously though, this has been posted a couple times I think. The original watch.impress was posted and somewhat translated by One (iirc), and more recently the dyingduck translation was posted. More info about SotC never hurts though! *swoon*

It did have some rather bad image quality at places, well at least in one place. In the starting movie (in game engine) the bridge shimmers like mad.
In the game itself, I don't remember there being such extreme cases.
The somewhat low resolution textures and light blooming do give the art certain quality that can be said being "bad", but at the same time it can be seen as "different".
Certainly the game positively lacks the clinic computer graphics look that too many games have.
Once you get to the colossi, the graphics and animation are just incredible.
Reading that "making of" made me appreciate it even more, especially the animation.

rabidrabbit said:
Once you get to the colossi, the graphics and animation are just incredible. Reading that "making of" made me appreciate it even more, especially the animation.

Yeah, that was the most interesting part I thought. Was particularly intrigued with how they synthesized real time physics sim, inverse kinematics and traditional keyframe to achieve the different "hanging on colossus" motions. They seemed pretty proud of the final result, as they should be. Its some of the most organic looking animation Ive ever seen in a videogame. The whole game really.

I also gained some new appreciation for the complexity of the collision detection on each colossus. You kind of take for granted how hard it must of been to make something of that scale so interactive with the character, especially with the hardware they were on.

nintenho said:
rabidrabbit said:
...and light blooming...
For the record, it has HDR not light bloom.

Light bloom is part of HDR. Like many other effects are part of the big rendering method that is HDR. It even says so in the article, which is very informative for people who don't know what all those effects are.

* The HDR rendering and dynamic exposure / tone mapping algorithm

After starting SOTC, the first impressive visuals you get are probably the view of the magnificent scenery seen outside from inside the sanctuary. It floods the external scenery which is seen from the interior to white, and light overflows through the opening of the columns which support the sanctuary. This is the trendy high dynamic range rendering (HDR - High Dynamic Range).

When you emerge from the dark sanctuary interior to the outside, the outside scene is drawn almost completely white, which settles shortly to it's proper brightness balance. This is called the dynamic tone mapping, which is part of the HDR effect.

london-boy said:
Light bloom is part of HDR. Like many other effects are part of the big rendering method that is HDR. It even says so in the article, which is very informative for people who don't know what all those effects are.
Well, I've cetainly been pwned. :oops:

nintenho said:
Well, I've cetainly been pwned. :oops:

*cringe*

Hate that expression. Anyway, we're here to help, if you don't know something and want to learn, lots of people here can help, they don't take pleasure out of... uhm... "pwning" guys... :D

london-boy said:
*cringe*

Hate that expression. Anyway, we're here to help, if you don't know something and want to learn, lots of people here can help, they don't take pleasure out of... uhm... "pwning" guys... :D
Yeah, I hate that word too. And when did I take pleasure in "pwning" random people on the internet? I just skimmed through the other SotC thread and it seems that I posted over there what subtleties the HDR had in SotC.

By the by, could one of the mods please merge these two threads?

london-boy said:
*cringe*

I hate all internet/AIM language.:rolleyes:

Back