is my 9700pro dying?

im replaying gta vice city on my old 1.4Gz, 1Grdram, 9700pro rig.

although now...loading savegames takes a minute or so (black screen) AND when i am loaded, the textures don't load till (longtime) after im in area (especially when moving fast, like in a car)...im surrounded by blur (no curbs, railings, windows) just blurred boxes (buildings) and plains (streets)...also get 1-2 seconds loading... screen every 500? ft or so. after i've been playing awhile (visit and revisit same areas), they seem to improve greatly

in previous vice city excursions, the only load time i experienced was crossing bridges, i'd get a .5 second "welcome to...." popup. loading games missions was practically instantaneous.

(as a matter of standard procedure) i kill all killable pc procs before gaming. also defragged last weekend. no viruses.

outside of game, everything seems normal on desktop.

from the symptoms i've described, is this a combonation of under performing hardware? or could this be solely the GPU?

it is 3-4 years old. do the GPU's get tired after awhile?

could it be something else? hard drive going? (doesn't explain texture loading while driving does it?)

It's just GTA VC not loading the data fast enough off the disk. When i played the game I used to be able to drive so far into an unloaded section the road and buildings completely disappearaed.

Is it bit rot? I loaded and played san andreas last night, and it ran perfectly. vice city used to run much better (as of last night i am unable to load any save game, even after waiting 5 minutes!)

is it a cd issue? bit rot? dang. am i gonna have to periodically repurchase the game? (it's a favorite...i think it touched off my LOVE of pc gaming)

but why would it degrade over time? it's fun fine since 2003. 3 years later it starts getting confused?

so is it associated with the state of the savegame files? or would a reinstall of the game (backup save files) clear it up? sounds like it's a known issue?

Back