Famitsu gives FFXII a perfect 40/40

It should be noted there is currently a bit of controversy as to the validity of this, but there are some scans of the magazine floating around with various other hints. It seems legit for now.

Also, this is the first FF game to ever receive a perfect score, and the second Square game. The other? Vagrant Story, also directed by Matsuno.

Perfect scores from Famitsu:

Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Nintendogs :):cry::)
Vagrant Story
Soul Calibur

and now

FFXII

I'll also throw out there that some of the impressions leaking out of Japan about the game include criticisms that the game doens't have an auto-run feature... because the game world is so big as to warrant one.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Auto run feature"?
Like the game would play itself, without the player needing to interact much?
....but.... haven't all Final Fantasy games had this since FFVII????

No, but seriously, that's good news if true, FFXII has been my most anticipated game for the last couple of years. Even though I was that tiny bit disappointed in FFX, mostly because the lack of proper overworld exploration, I haven't lost my lust and faith in FF
series.

So, if FFXII gameworld is as big as claimed, that's a good thing.
Hopefully it's like in the latset Dragon Quest game, where the world is fully explorable and not just basically a series of dungeons as was in FFX.
A grand epic rpg always appeal to me, and FFXII seems to have enough of that grandness.

Well FFXII looks like a great FF and a AAA game in general, but after Nintendogs I just don't place any stock in Famitsu scores.

Of course Final Fantasy doesn't need a good review to succeed.The game is set to explode at retail. I reckon $200M revenue day one, thanks to typical S-E gouging of JPN consumers.

Xbot360 said:
What platform is this on?

Is it a new single player FF?

Is it coming to US?

PS2

Yes

Yes, probably this fall. Hitting Japan next week. We could always hope for KHII-esque localization, but I really doubt it. Especially knowing Matsuno and his dialogue... I don't think it particularly lends itself to fast translation.

I hope it's turn based.
I like it more than the more action based combat.

I think in FFXII you can choose whether you want turn based or "active combat", I might be wrong though.

rabidrabbit said:
I hope it's turn based.
I like it more than the more action based combat.

I think in FFXII you can choose whether you want turn based or "active combat", I might be wrong though.
Yeah, I know that FF games had really really good turn-based combat systems, but I just don't find that too fun.

I loved it, must still have my 90-hour save game of FFX in my memory card...

Does anyone know what score Famitsu gave Kingdom Hearts 2?

london-boy said:
I loved it, must still have my 90-hour save game of FFX in my memory card...

Does anyone know what score Famitsu gave Kingdom Hearts 2?

KH2: 39/40

Very nice.. I see this as the next game that will net in another 150 hours of gaming bliss. Last game to achieve that were both FFX and FFX-2. (and prior to that, FFX, FFVII go figure)... :D

I dare to ask, but does anyone have a fair idea when this is coming to Europe? I'm betting probably around April next year... but there's still hope, right? :mad:

Wow! And I thought I would never touch a FF after X-2. Definitely great news for the last months of this gen! :)

Fredi

ffxiireservado.jpg

london-boy said:
One picture says more than a thousand words!

Indeed. Why was he too cheap to buy the collectors edition of ICO? ;)

Just to put this in perspective, since Famitsu aren't exactly renowned for their unbiased objective scoring, this is the only Final Fantasy game to receive a perfect score.

This is a run down of the scores Famitsu gave to the other 'main series' FF games:

FF: 8.25
FFII: 8.25
FFIII: 9
FFIV: 9
FFV: 8.5
FFVI: 9.25
FFVII: 39/40
FFVIII: 38/40
FFIX: 38/40
FFX: 38/40
FFX-2: 34/40
FFXI: 36/40

Consider me hyped :eek:

McFly said:
Wow! And I thought I would never touch a FF after X-2. Definitely great news for the last months of this gen! :)

Fredi

FFX-2 was unfortunate. Still, one reason I'm looking forward to FFXII is because its been directed by Matsuno-san. Vagrant Story is(still) one of my favorite games ever, it will be interesting to see where he takes the FF series.

I'm going to step in controversially here and say I don't trust review scores too much especially recently after getting ICO, and it's not enough to get me interested in FFXII.

ICO is a very atmospheric game, and a good game. But it has some killer bugs and annoyances, and is only 7-8 hours long. Had I of spent £40 on it when it first launched, I would have been most annoyed. That's about £5 an hour, more expensive even than going to the cinema which I rate as an utter ripoff! The fact that everyone rates it high and talks it up doesn't give an accurate representation of how well it'll be received by a particular person.

Perhaps I'm spoilt on PC, but I've got used to downloading demos of software to try. With the option to see for myself I don't end up disappointed to any degree. Anything getting 40/40 on Famitsu has good chance to be disappointing I think. I didn't think much of Vagrant Story either. I got so far in and then totally stumped (before I had access to internet walkthroughs!). I think some games just get an art-house score. If every review in the world rates it 10/10, I'd still like to play a demo myself first.

Back