Do you think Crash deserved an Oscar?

nintenho

Veteran
Boomups reminded me of this last night since I'm a big hater of this movie. The reason I hate it so much is that somehow the creator, Paul Haggis, doesn't see how extremely selfish and amoral it is to measure tact with relativity.

I'm not going to flame you for disagreeing, but what is your opinion?

I hated it. All that fuss about it being a great movie and all that, but i bloody hated it. Just another movie about people being awful to each other, then "changing".. blah blah blah, seen it all before with different actors. But then again, the reverse psychology of political correctness kinda worked i guess...

london-boy said:
I hated it. All that fuss about it being a great movie and all that, but i bloody hated it. Just another movie about people being awful to each other, then "changing".. blah blah blah, seen it all before with different actors. But then again, the reverse psychology of political correctness kinda worked i guess...
Yeah, it was like the writer wanted to fit a character that was of every possible stereotype, but then saw that there was no way you could show actual character development and so he made everybody a cliche. Just a bunch of dumb, glazed bitch's.....

I detested this film. Absolute tripe IMO - desperately trying to be 'worthy' but laying it on way, way too thick. I seem to remember that the orchestration was abysmal as well.

Synopsis: Lots of nasty and cynical people (many of whom are racists) act in a nasty way to each other over the course of a weekend. The end.

Mariner said:
I detested this film. Absolute tripe IMO - desperately trying to be 'worthy' but laying it on way, way too thick. I seem to remember that the orchestration was abysmal as well.

Synopsis: Lots of nasty and cynical people (many of whom are racists) act in a nasty way to each other over the course of a weekend. The end.
Exactly, there was simply no goal at all when making this movie!

Mariner said:

It was about as subtle as an atomic bomb.

Controversy for controversy's sake!

nintenho said:
But why though? I want to know what people thought the purpose of the movie was.

Sorry, I was in a hurry :)

Not in any particular order:

a) Acting. Really. Matt Dillon especially was great and I've always disliked him.
b) Atmosphere. Music completes the picture perfectly.
c) Best scene ever. The car crash scene (with Dillon and Newton) is beyond superb.

I'm not saying that the Crash is perfect but it has the right feeling.

And about the purpose of the film. For me it was enternainment. Nothing else.

Miksu said:
Sorry, I was in a hurry :)

Not in any particular order:

a) Acting. Really. Matt Dillon especially was great and I've always disliked him.
b) Atmosphere. Music completes the picture perfectly.
c) Best scene ever. The car crash scene (with Dillon and Newton) is beyond superb.

I'm not saying that the Crash is perfect but it has the right feeling.

And about the purpose of the film. For me it was enternainment. Nothing else.
Agree with A, but B & C were just one-dimensionally selfless in my opinion.

I actually won't deny that the acting in the film was pretty decent - they had a good cast.

Just a pity about everything else in the film!

Crash was utterly disappointing as a win for best picture. At best it would be decent 2-hour TV movie since, as Tim said, it has all the subtlety of serving an onion sandwich at a 5-star restaurant. But it was a film about LA and the oh-so-important topic of racism in modern America.

John Reynolds said:
Crash was utterly disappointing as a win for best picture. At best it would be decent 2-hour TV movie since, as Tim said, it has all the subtlety of serving an onion sandwich at a 5-star restaurant. But it was a film about LA and the oh-so-important topic of racism in modern America.
Some people just really like the feeling of believing that there are only ten different people living in LA. Especially members of the Screen Actors Guild it seems......

I rather liked Crash, but I don't know about the Oscar. I haven't seen the other nominated films, so maybe it was better than they were.

I guess it must have been a slow movie year.

I thought crash sucked. I found it to be a very shallow movie that was in dire need of some sublty. It's like someone came up with the idea of "let's make a movie about racism. not real racism, but the way mtv depicts racism". Then they just used a bunch of hackneyed dialog and had a crappy plot. The agenda of the movie was obvious in every scene. Way too obvious and I felt that it insulted the viewer.

Most of my friends loved it though.

You can look it at this way: If a film can make Sandra Bullock and Brendan Fraser look like filmstars, it can't be that bad movie...

I have this feeling Crash will go down as one of the silliest choices in Oscar history.

That said, it's still probably better than Brokeback Mountain.

The most fucking idiotic part of that movie was the Iranian guy whom everyone thought was an Arab. Anyone who has set foot in LA for more than five minutes will realize that there's a population of around 700000 Iranians there and about 10000 Muslim Arabs. LA is one of the largest Persian cities in the world - fourth IIRC after Tehran, Mashad, and Isfahan.

Of course, it goes without saying that Arabs and Iranians look absolutely nothing like the other, but whatever.

akira888 said:
The most fucking idiotic part of that movie was the Iranian guy whom everyone thought was an Arab. Anyone who has set foot in LA for more than five minutes will realize that there's a population of around 700000 Iranians there and about 10000 Muslim Arabs. LA is one of the largest Persian cities in the world - fourth IIRC after Tehran, Mashad, and Isfahan.

Of course, it goes without saying that Arabs and Iranians look absolutely nothing like the other, but whatever.
Yeah, Iranians in Iran actually call it Tehrangeles.:p

For the record, I'm not bitter that they depicted Iranians as crazy bastards like this.........

A ridiculous movie. It was grossly unrealistic, the point was hammered in with the efficiency of a sledgehammer, and the characters were thoroughly irratating and stupid. After five minutes, you pretty much could predict what was going to happen every scene.

Yea Matt Dillon was -ok- in it (in fact he was the only one) but the rest of the cast sucked. Worse, the entire film was boring from start to finish.

Back