NV and H.264 acceleration ?

I have 6600Gt PCI-E here and hardware accelaration on WMVHD and H.264 seems broken. Although I've seen reports from people who say it works...

nVidia H264

chavvdarrr said:
I have 6600Gt PCI-E here and hardware accelaration on WMVHD and H.264 seems broken. Although I've seen reports from people who say it works...

Are you sure 'tis not working? For WMV HD decoding you need to install the two patches on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888656/( one is for DRM and the other for DXVA ). You'll need to reboot after these two.

WMV HD trailers can be had from www.wmvhd.com

To get WMV HD to work, you need to go to WMP10, Tools menu, options, Performance tab, advanced button and tick the "Use Video Mixing Renderer VMR" and tick either "Overlays" or "High Quality Mode." This will ensure that WMV DXVA actually works.

To test H264 decode, you could try the trial of Nero 7 ( with PureVideo support ) from:

http://www.nero.com/enu/NVidia.php

as well as Forceware 84.12 or 84.20.

( Apologies if you've done all of this )

Then try the quicktime HD trailers from Apple.com/trailers ( you'll have to play them back with Nero ) or "The Greatest game.mp4" from http://trailers.nerodigital.com/Disney/TheGreatestGame_HD_AVC.mp4

Let us know whether it works for you. I suspect it will.

Also could anyone with problems with decode acceleration post your system specs:

My ( non-functional ) system is:
Athlon 64 2800
1 GB DDR400
Asus K8N Socket 754 with AGP
XFX Geforce 6600 GT 128 MB AGP
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

yes, I did all of the above.
nero 7.0.5.5
neroshow gives distorted output when hardware acceleration is enabled (like if playing with hue/saturation
), cpu oad is lower... but who cares. Thats when trying the greatest game. 2 720p trailers that i downloaded play ok, also WMVHD from WMP
But so far coreavc ( The software codec) seems best to me - plays everything with comparable cpu load
iP4 3.0Ghz (620), 1GB DDR400 dual channel, i915, XP32+SP2 , all patches including the 2 above, Det 84.20

nVidia H264

chavvdarrr said:
yes, I did all of the above.
nero 7.0.5.5
neroshow gives distorted output when hardware acceleration is enabled (like if playing with hue/saturation
), cpu oad is lower... but who cares. Thats when trying the greatest game. 2 720p trailers that i downloaded play ok, also WMVHD from WMP
But so far coreavc ( The software codec) seems best to me - plays everything with comparable cpu load
iP4 3.0Ghz (620), 1GB DDR400 dual channel, i915, XP32+SP2 , all patches including the 2 above, Det 84.20

Well at least WMV HD is working for you. FW 84.12 and 84.20 are still beta drivers. NVidia will probably sort it out when the final release drivers come out.

Athlon 3500+ 939
2GB DDR
6800GT AGP
84.20's
newest purevideo (march 2nd)

I play all 1080 content w/ about 80% or less CPU usage

WMV - DX acceleration patch kicks in and i'll do mid-50's on Step Into Liquid
TS streams - 10-15% Purevideo kicks in
QT HD H.264 - fluctuates 50-80% using Core Codec
Nero H.264 imp - low 60's using Core Codec on The Greatest Game

As you know, my card has the "broken" VPU. So, I am happy I can play all 1080p content just fine while others have so many problems.

aaronbond said:
Athlon 3500+ 939
2GB DDR
6800GT AGP
84.20's
newest purevideo (march 2nd)

WMV - DX acceleration patch kicks in and i'll do mid-50's on Step Into Liquid
TS streams - 10-15% Purevideo kicks in
QT HD H.264 - fluctuates 50-80% using Core Codec
Nero H.264 imp - low 60's using Core Codec on The Greatest Game

I assume yer watching Quicktime HD clips with the CoreAVC codec.

The thing about WMV DXVA kicking in is that on a 6800 GT, http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html , there must be some acceleration, just not as much as on the other cards ( not that I have a card with WMV HD acceleration, unless I go back to prehistoric drivers. ).

nVidia H264 decoding

To allow H264 decoding, the easiest way is to rename the .mov quicktime HD file as an .mp4 file and then play it back with Nero or PowerDVD.

Alternatively, you could use QuickTime Alternative (1.68) and disable the DirectShow filter during installation ( i.e. don't install it ). Then you should be able to save play back .mov files directly from PowerDVD with PureVideo ( this actually works ) or Nero ( not tried it ).

To everyone with the problem:

I have logged a fault with nVidia and they claim they aren't able to reproduce the problem. I'm guessing 'tis got something to do with some dodgy codec or something else that's on the system, though Zoom Player doesn't seem to show any other codecs in the chain.

If you guys could post yer system stats here and possibly some of the codecs and stuff that're installed via DXDiag.txt, it might help us to figure out why 'tis screwed up on our systems. I'm at work at the moment and can't really extract a DXDiag.txt.

I actually have an AGP 6200 in a slow Pentium 4 1.6 GHz, and on this box H264 decode acceleration works perfectly ( for 720p stuff ). I can see a reduction in CPU utilisation with an increase in kernel time. WMV HD decode works perfectly on this box as well ( as well as it can on a 1.6 GHz CPU and a 6200). However, the nVidia display properties applet actually shows this as a PCI-Ex16 or x8 or x4 card depending on the phase of the moon.

Blazkowicz_ said:
there are some socket 478 PCIe motherboard whose PCIe 16x slot is a 4x one I think.

This is waay back from 2002. I really doubt it. 'tis an i845D chipset based card. So I really really doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
nVidia H264

I swapped the AGP 6200 with the AGP 6600 GT . The AGP 6200 continued to show up as a PCI-Ex4 card ( in the system information page of the nVidia system tray icon ) on the nForce 3 AGP box. H264 decoding and WMV HD decoding both worked perfectly on the same system without any changes ( I only tried 720p clips as this is as far as the 6200 will go ).

Put the AGP 6600 GT back in and the corruption was back and WMV HD decode acceleration was once again non-existent.

I think the only reason the 6200 has working everything is that Inno3D when they made the card didn't customise the BIOS properly and left something in there which causes the nVidia applet to think 'tis a PCI-E card ( using nVTweak and enabling the AGP properties panel does show it as an AGP card though). Either that or my AGP 6600 GT is broken in some way. If it is, there're at least 6 other people who've got AGP 6600 GTs and suffering from discoloured and blocky H264 acceleration. At the nVidia forums there's even someone with an AGP 7800 GS with the same problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested with 3 different 6600 PCI-E cards (2x 6600 and one 6600GT) - all with corruption... all NV43 rev4 ... either there is driver/codec bug with NV43 or that chip is broken too ...

chavvdarrr said:
I tested with 3 different 6600 PCI-E cards (2x 6600 and one 6600GT) - all with corruption... all NV43 rev4 ... either there is driver/codec bug with NV43 or that chip is broken too ...
I have a 6600GT PCI-E and it's perfect: H.264 decode acceleration works with no corruption.

nVidia H264

chavvdarrr said:

Chavvdarr,

What's the configuration of your machine? DId you try them on the same box? If so what're the specs of yer box? Also what additional software do you have installed on yer system? Mine's an NV43 Revision 2 chip with the BR02 PCI-E to AGP bridge. I seriously doubt the NV43 chip's broken.

Is it an AMD or Intel system? What's the motherboard you're using and what chipset has it got?

I tried this on my 7800 GTX (go) with 84.12 and the Purevideo and Cyberlink codecs... couldnt see any differences in performance regardless of what software/clip/configs i used which sounds like the same results as Hanners. I guess there is a little way to go on the NV side of things (my X1k acceleration works flawlessly) so i decided to try again in a few drivers time.

Good luck to the rest of you...

nVidia H264

Veridian3 said:
I tried this on my 7800 GTX (go) with 84.12 and the Purevideo and Cyberlink codecs... couldnt see any differences in performance regardless of what software/clip/configs i used which sounds like the same results as Hanners. I guess there is a little way to go on the NV side of things (my X1k acceleration works flawlessly) so i decided to try again in a few drivers time.

Good luck to the rest of you...

You need to enable hardware acceleration. Cyberlink's PowerDVD by default doesn't actually enable H264 acceleration. 'tis under video settings: "Use Hardware Acceleration." Also, you need the PureVideo compatible version of PowerDVD or Nero from here and here

sharangad said:
You need to enable hardware acceleration. Cyberlink's PowerDVD by default doesn't actually enable H264 acceleration. 'tis under video settings: "Use Hardware Acceleration." Also, you need the PureVideo compatible version of PowerDVD or Nero from here and here

Yup, got all of that and ticked the box. Even read a massive pdf from NV on how to enable it and how to use it etc. Still no joy.

Veridian3 said:
Yup, got all of that and ticked the box. Even read a massive pdf from NV on how to enable it and how to use it etc. Still no joy.

The hardware acceleration is only available in PowerDVD or Zoom Player. But in both those apps you need to manually enable acceleration.

If you're using WMP, there is a registry hack to enable DXVA for H264 with the Cyberlilnk codecs. With Zoom Player, you can simply click on filter properties for the Cyberlink H264 decoder and enable it from there.

Let me try and look up the registry keys:

Copy this into a text file called WMPH264.reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Common\cl264dec\wmplayer]
"UIUseHVA"=dword:00000001
"UIVMode"=dword:00000001
"UIGamma"=dword:00000000
"UICB"=dword:00000000
"UICR"=dword:00000000
"UICON"=dword:00000000
"UISAT"=dword:00000000
"EnableVMR"=dword:00000001
"EnableVMR9"=dword:00000001

and add it to the registry. This should enable DXVA for WMP.

UIUseHVA is the setting for DXVA of H264. Setting it to 0 disables it., instead of 1 as shown above. By default, H264 acceleration is diabled for all apps.

hi,

Thanks for the file. I'll try that next time in on a NV based system. I've my ATI back in and H.264 working flawlessly (in all my applications) for now :)

sharangad said:
The hardware acceleration is only available in PowerDVD or Zoom Player. But in both those apps you need to manually enable acceleration.

If you're using WMP, there is a registry hack to enable DXVA for H264 with the Cyberlilnk codecs. With Zoom Player, you can simply click on filter properties for the Cyberlink H264 decoder and enable it from there.

Let me try and look up the registry keys:

Copy this into a text file called WMPH264.reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Common\cl264dec\wmplayer]
"UIUseHVA"=dword:00000001
"UIVMode"=dword:00000001
"UIGamma"=dword:00000000
"UICB"=dword:00000000
"UICR"=dword:00000000
"UICON"=dword:00000000
"UISAT"=dword:00000000
"EnableVMR"=dword:00000001
"EnableVMR9"=dword:00000001

and add it to the registry. This should enable DXVA for WMP.

UIUseHVA is the setting for DXVA of H264. Setting it to 0 disables it., instead of 1 as shown above. By default, H264 acceleration is diabled for all apps.

I tested on 2 differnt platforms (both Intel though)
1st - i915, iP4@ 3.0G, 1GB DDR XP+ SP2 + all patches (including those for WMP), also on fresh install . tried Nv 84.12, 84.20, 84.21
2nd i945, iP4@ 3.2G , 1GB DDR2, same software as above
tested with WMP and Nero 7.055, 7.082 , I won't throw 50$ on the wind for feature which should be free, or at least I should be able to see it working - so no testing with PowerDVD.

playing 720p content is fine, CPu load is ~ 30-40%, but enabling HWAcc in Nero show gives color artifacting

Back